Got an unconditional but have free choices left, should I punch above my weight?

Watch
Throwaway7749
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Story so far: I already have my A-levels at grades BBC, and went to uni for one semester last year before dropping out. A tutor who I had a very good relationship with at that uni provided me a reference to apply again for 2019, and I've applied to 2 universities - uni 1 with entry requirements above my grades, and uni 2 being the one I previously dropped out of. Today I received an unconditional offer from uni 1 which is closer to me and a more prestigious uni so of the two I definitely prefer it. Uni 2 is still considering my application.

So now I've got an application sent to two unis, and the one I don't have the grades for has sent me an unconditional offer, presumably off the strength of the rest of my application. My dream uni when I was in school offers the same course with entry requirements at AAA/AAB. Would it be worth sending them my application since I already have an unconditional offer from a uni I really like and there should be no harm in the dream uni rejecting me anyway? I've paid for 5 choices and only used two so I feel like it's worth a shot knowing I have an unconditional already.

I suppose I'm concerned that by doing anything more with my application I could risk the unconditional being withdrawn or something, I'm not totally sure how it all operates. I'm genuinely surprised uni 1 have given me an offer so I'm being super cautious.

Side question; the uni I got the unconditional from wants me to upload evidence of my qualifications to their system as proof I have them, which of course I'm happy to do, but doing so wont count as accepting the offer will it?

Huge thanks in advance and any and all other advice is welcome ^^
Snoozinghamster
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Throwaway7749)
Story so far: I already have my A-levels at grades BBC, and went to uni for one semester last year before dropping out. A tutor who I had a very good relationship with at that uni provided me a reference to apply again for 2019, and I've applied to 2 universities - uni 1 with entry requirements above my grades, and uni 2 being the one I previously dropped out of. Today I received an unconditional offer from uni 1 which is closer to me and a more prestigious uni so of the two I definitely prefer it. Uni 2 is still considering my application.

So now I've got an application sent to two unis, and the one I don't have the grades for has sent me an unconditional offer, presumably off the strength of the rest of my application. My dream uni when I was in school offers the same course with entry requirements at AAA/AAB. Would it be worth sending them my application since I already have an unconditional offer from a uni I really like and there should be no harm in the dream uni rejecting me anyway? I've paid for 5 choices and only used two so I feel like it's worth a shot knowing I have an unconditional already.

I suppose I'm concerned that by doing anything more with my application I could risk the unconditional being withdrawn or something, I'm not totally sure how it all operates. I'm genuinely surprised uni 1 have given me an offer so I'm being super cautious.

Side question; the uni I got the unconditional from wants me to upload evidence of my qualifications to their system as proof I have them, which of course I'm happy to do, but doing so wont count as accepting the offer will it?

Huge thanks in advance and any and all other advice is welcome ^^
Congrats on the offer

Go for it. If you have offers your happy with the offer you have there’s no harm in adding a stretch option. If you don’t you’ll always be wondering if they would have given you and offer. Sending them results doesn’t count as acceptance. The only thing that is accepting it is clicking the button to make it your firm choice.
HobbinsE
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
They won’t be able to see if you apply for another university and if it’s your dream uni it’s definitely worth a shot.
As for the side question I have no idea, any way you could reach out to your old tutor and ask them?
Throwaway7749
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by Snoozinghamster)
Congrats on the offer

Go for it. If you have offers your happy with the offer you have there’s no harm in adding a stretch option. If you don’t you’ll always be wondering if they would have given you and offer. Sending them results doesn’t count as acceptance. The only thing that is accepting it is clicking the button to make it your firm choice.
Thank you! And I've gone ahead and sent them my application, don't want to kick myself down the line if I find myself with regrets. And I appreciate the answer to the other question. Was a little paranoid that by sending my results I'd be tying myself to the uni.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you worried that a cap in student numbers would affect your place at uni?

Yes (245)
60.64%
No (83)
20.54%
Not sure (76)
18.81%

Watched Threads