The Student Room Group

Former MBB Consultant / MBB campus recruiter - Ask me anything!

Scroll to see replies

Thanks, for the response. At the risk of dominating the conversation, I'm interested in your earlier comment to someone to 'keep trying', despite rejections. I thought there are limited opportunities to re-apply after graduating (needs to be within 2 years) and that experienced hire numbers are very limited. Do you mean something else other than re-applying?
Reply 21
Keep trying means be persistent in your desire to pursue a career in strategy consulting. There are people across the big-3 who have all re-applied (once, twice and even three times), each time demonstrating value increments through either their academics or work experience.

As an experienced hire, you have to apply for a specific role, rather than grad recruitment. I wouldn't say that they are "very limited". Also, remember that in a consulting firm, there aren't just consulting roles! You can always apply for a research, analytics, knowledge management role, and then make the move after excelling in that role for a couple of years. It's a well-trodden path, across MBB.
Reply 22
Original post by rob1060
1. Intellectual curiosity and nimbleness. Ability to think logically about a problem, dissect it and generate multiple, testable solutions. Ability to engage with the interviewer and creating rapport. Great case performance is someone who comes across as naturally being able to see value-drivers in a business case, what the key levers / variables are, without appearing robotic. The rapport thing is important, as in the role you would be dealing directly with clients, and building relationships with them (and your case team) is key, even at a junior level.

2. There isn't a UK ranking as such, but in terms of general name recognition / prestige / whatever you want to call it, it generally goes as follows:

Premier: MBB
Tier 1: Deloitte, Strategy&, OC&C, OW, ATK, EY-Parthenon
Tier 2: LEK, KPMG, Roland Berger, Accenture
Tier 3: CIL and the smaller boutique firms (mainly because they are transaction-focused, i.e. focused on due diligence work for the private equity houses and not so much on pure strategy work)

3. Can only give you the first order stats for the London office: 8k plus applied (includes students studying in the UK + around the world who had London has their first preference), with an offer rate of less than 1%

4. Demonstrate the skills required + an interest in consulting. For example, one of the Partners at my firm started out consulting for free to start-ups back in 2001, it was a hard slog but he gained the skills he needed, demonstrated to the interviewing group that he had the real passion and interest in the industry, and absolutely aced the case interviews!

Hey Rob,

Is there any material difference between MBB and the tiers below in terms of the work and exit opportunities?
Opinion on MBAs from top tier schools?
Reply 24
Original post by Exceptional

Also, list the top tier (in the UK) :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi Rob, two questions regarding the interviews process.

1. What are the key differences in criteria between first and second-round interviews?
2. What are the success rates for each of the two rounds of interviews?

Thanks!
that program has a particular focus on banking so you will not hear much about consulting (although if you wanted to hear about consulting, ask your mentor I'm sure they'll be happy to discuss).

If you want to submit a strong consulting application try to get the best possible a-level grades, try to get into a top uni (the ones Rob mentioned above) and try to find work experience (i think pathways to banking provides you a shadowing opportunity and an opportunity with PwC).
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 27
Original post by oooooob
Hey Rob,

Is there any material difference between MBB and the tiers below in terms of the work and exit opportunities?

Yes, quite a large difference, both in terms of the projects you receive and the exit opportunities. Corporates pay premium rates (often 2-3x more) for MBB, and often their board's / executive committees only sign off on large strategy projects only if an MBB is involved. Not fair sometimes, but that's just the way it is.
Reply 28
Original post by Exceptional

They will come in at consultant level. Whether you are an MBA from Harvard or Chicago or INSEAD, they are all top-tier schools and we value the experience that they bring. Some are exceptional, some are not so good (and they get cycled out of the firm quickly). Depends on what their pre-MBA experience was. That said, a direct promote from associate level will often be in higher demand by staffers for projects.
Reply 29
Original post by Doonesbury
Also, list the top tier (in the UK) :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Top-tier of UK MBA schools? That is a list of one - LBS. Top UK consulting firms has been answered in a previous post.
Reply 30
Original post by konchesky09
Hi Rob, two questions regarding the interviews process.

1. What are the key differences in criteria between first and second-round interviews?
2. What are the success rates for each of the two rounds of interviews?

Thanks!

1. The first round is really to see fit and whether you have the underlying capabilities to go through a case in a structured and logical fashion. Second round probes those qualities further, with more difficult cases requiring more multi-perspective solutions and thinking. The second and subsequent rounds (if any) also serve as a validation of the feedback received from round 1

2. Round 1 to r2 is around 10-15%, depending on the firm.
Reply 31
Original post by rob1060
Top-tier of UK MBA schools? That is a list of one - LBS.

Ha, ok, and similarly for pre-experience masters (ie not MBA)?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 32
Original post by Doonesbury
Ha, ok, and similarly for pre-experience masters (ie not MBA)?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Field is much wider, depends on what but if it's finance / management related, then LSE, LBS, Imperial, maybe UCL and maybe Oxford.
what facts can make you decide between IB or MBB (in case you get offers from both IBD bulge bracket and MBB)
Original post by rob1060
1. The first round is really to see fit and whether you have the underlying capabilities to go through a case in a structured and logical fashion. Second round probes those qualities further, with more difficult cases requiring more multi-perspective solutions and thinking. The second and subsequent rounds (if any) also serve as a validation of the feedback received from round 1

2. Round 1 to r2 is around 10-15%, depending on the firm.

What is the approximate success rate for round 2 to offer? I've read it's higher than round 1 to round 2 but would like to know if there's any truth to it.
Reply 35
Original post by konchesky09
What is the approximate success rate for round 2 to offer? I've read it's higher than round 1 to round 2 but would like to know if there's any truth to it.

Depends to be honest, but it's anywhere from 20-30%. Remember that the round 2 case interviews are much harder.
Hi Rob,

I would like to know what is the recruitment process for international applicants (i.e. not having studied in the UK) for London roles.
1) How is the screening done in these cases? Will they still be considered as coming from non target background (i.e. Oxbridge, LSE, etc.), on par with people having studied in non-target UK unis, or is there a different screening process/rationale?

2) How much harder is it for international applicants to make it to a first round (if at all) and what can compensate for not having studied in the UK ?

Thanks!
Reply 37
Original post by Applicant626
Hi Rob,

I would like to know what is the recruitment process for international applicants (i.e. not having studied in the UK) for London roles.
1) How is the screening done in these cases? Will they still be considered as coming from non target background (i.e. Oxbridge, LSE, etc.), on par with people having studied in non-target UK unis, or is there a different screening process/rationale?

2) How much harder is it for international applicants to make it to a first round (if at all) and what can compensate for not having studied in the UK ?

Thanks!

1. Exactly the same as the process for local applicants, i.e. 2-3 rounds, all involving cases. In fact, international (i.e. not having studied in UK schools) is an increasingly popular recruitment channel for us. We have our targets in different parts of the world, for example, in the US we have 6-7 target universities (Harvard, etc.). If those applicants apply for London, then they are treated exactly the same as UK targets

2. No difference in difficulty vs. the candidates that have studied in the UK, whether it's being invited for interview or getting an offer.
Reply 38
Original post by rob1060
Yes, quite a large difference, both in terms of the projects you receive and the exit opportunities. Corporates pay premium rates (often 2-3x more) for MBB, and often their board's / executive committees only sign off on large strategy projects only if an MBB is involved. Not fair sometimes, but that's just the way it is.

Thanks for the info!
Original post by rob1060
All,

It's that time of year again, where everyone is applying for full-time roles, internships and related entry points into one of the hardest graduate industries to get into: Management / strategy consulting.

I am a former MBB consultant (7 years) in their London office and latterly one of the leaders of campus recruiting at the same firm.

Ask me anything you want about the industry in general, reputation of different firms, application process, what we look for, university reputations, interviews, what life is like as a consultant, myths vs facts, etc. etc.

Please note that I can't review CV's.

Look forward to hearing from you!
Rob

I'm doing History or History and Politics at uni but want to become a strategy consultant when I leave, for either BCG or McKinsey preferably - though of course it will be hard.

As I know economics, finance etc. degrees are likely to be favoured, I plan on setting up my own side business at uni, joining the finance/enterprise etc. societies and will have look leadership roles such as coaching the uni football teams amongst some other extra-curricular.

Will this be enough to stand a competitive chance? I'll be going to either Durham, Exeter, Oxford or St.Andrews btw

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending