The Student Room Group

Former MBB Consultant / MBB campus recruiter - Ask me anything!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by That'sGreat
I'm doing History or History and Politics at uni but want to become a strategy consultant when I leave, for either BCG or McKinsey preferably - though of course it will be hard.

As I know economics, finance etc. degrees are likely to be favoured, I plan on setting up my own side business at uni, joining the finance/enterprise etc. societies and will have look leadership roles such as coaching the uni football teams amongst some other extra-curricular.

Will this be enough to stand a competitive chance? I'll be going to either Durham, Exeter, Oxford or St.Andrews btw

subject degree is fine - history is good because of the amount of analysis

those extra curriculars sound great

atm, try to get the best a-levels possible and try to get into the best possible uni. for strat consulting, oxford will help a lot thanks to its brand & academic setup. if oxf doesn't work out, don't fret, the other ones look decent too. good luck with your oxf interview :smile:

out of interest why do you prefer Mck and BCG?
(edited 5 years ago)
i just noticed the former part of the title. what is the plan now?
Any tips you would give a first year who will be applying to the insight programs at McK and BCG? Anything particular which is seen favorable on an application/anything in particular to be careful about? And do you have any idea what sort of experience is expected at this stage?

Thanks for doing this
Reply 43
I'm doing History or History and Politics at uni but want to become a strategy consultant when I leave, for either BCG or McKinsey preferably - though of course it will be hard.

As I know economics, finance etc. degrees are likely to be favoured, I plan on setting up my own side business at uni, joining the finance/enterprise etc. societies and will have look leadership roles such as coaching the uni football teams amongst some other extra-curricular.

Will this be enough to stand a competitive chance? I'll be going to either Durham, Exeter, Oxford or St.Andrews btw

We don't really worry about what undergraduate degree you have done, as long as you demonstrate absolute excellence throughout. Economics and finance degrees are by no means favoured, indeed, in this year's graduate class we have the majority who don't have either economics or finance degrees. What you are proposing is all fine and well, but won't have a massive impact on whether you get called for interview or not.

The four universities you have mentioned don't really help me determine your chances, for one (i.e Oxford) is a core target school, whereas the others are not. Probably would narrow it down.
Reply 44
Original post by lowwkey
i just noticed the former part of the title. what is the plan now?

I'm now head of strategy and planning at a private equity fund. Almost 7 years of weekly travel between London and (New York, Singapore, Moscow, Dubai, Riyadh, Mumbai, Toronto, depending on the case) became a little tiring!!
Reply 45
Original post by TakeTheL
Any tips you would give a first year who will be applying to the insight programs at McK and BCG? Anything particular which is seen favorable on an application/anything in particular to be careful about? And do you have any idea what sort of experience is expected at this stage?

Thanks for doing this

Easy - just show some preparation, why you want to be a strategy consultant and what work in this industry entails. No experience is expected as its an insight week and not an internship.
Hey Rob,

What is it you do now? And what made you leave MBB consulting/recruitment?
Reply 47
Original post by lowwkey

out of interest why do you prefer Mck and BCG?

Bain are a truly great firm and well deserved in their place in the MBB, but they are massively focused on private equity and consumer / retail, where they excel.

On almost all the other topics and functions, they are wiped clean by the other two. That's why a lot of applicants prefer McK or BCG to Bain.

I would also argue that Bain's culture is far better (more relaxed, friendly, etc.)
Original post by rob1060
We don't really worry about what undergraduate degree you have done, as long as you demonstrate absolute excellence throughout. Economics and finance degrees are by no means favoured, indeed, in this year's graduate class we have the majority who don't have either economics or finance degrees. What you are proposing is all fine and well, but won't have a massive impact on whether you get called for interview or not.

The four universities you have mentioned don't really help me determine your chances, for one (i.e Oxford) is a core target school, whereas the others are not. Probably would narrow it down.

So would St.Andrews, Durham and Exeter result in me being unlikely to get an interview, even if I got a First?

Original post by rob1060
I'm now head of strategy and planning at a private equity fund. Almost 7 years of weekly travel between London and (New York, Singapore, Moscow, Dubai, Riyadh, Mumbai, Toronto, depending on the case) became a little tiring!!

I thought the move was from IB to PE, and was under the impression PE was much harder to break into from a consulting background?

Also, in terms of consultancy firms wanting you to get an MBA, what kind of schools would MBB consultants look to go to? I believe this is after about the first 2 years, however, I have looked at top MBA programmes such as at INSEAD and they want nearly 6 years of experience.
Reply 49
Original post by MrMusician95
Hey Rob,

What is it you do now? And what made you leave MBB consulting/recruitment?

Asked and answered above! Basically, the travel. While travelling in First / Business Class every week long-haul is great, it is super-tiring.
Reply 50
So would St.Andrews, Durham and Exeter result in me being unlikely to get an interview, even if I got a First?

I thought the move was from IB to PE, and was under the impression PE was much harder to break into from a consulting background?

Also, in terms of consultancy firms wanting you to get an MBA, what kind of schools would MBB consultants look to go to? I believe this is after about the first 2 years, however, I have looked at top MBA programmes such as at INSEAD and they want nearly 6 years of experience.

St.A / Durham / Exeter are all fantastic schools but much harder to secure interviews at the MBB, more so if they don't actively recruit there. Doesn't mean to say it can't happen, you just have a much steeper hill to climb than the target guys.

IB to PE is correct for investment roles. I'm in a pure-strategy role within a fund, roles which are almost purely populated by consultants.

MBB consultants almost always look at the US top-5 and European top-2. If they don't get in to any of these (which has never ever happened), then they simply won't do it. MBB brand is looked on very favourably by MBA admissions committees (much more than an IB, even Goldman). You can get into Harvard with 2 years experience.. we sent over 100 of our juniors globally this year to Harvard, Stanford or Wharton (and they all had 2-3 year of experience).
Original post by rob1060
Asked and answered above! Basically, the travel. While travelling in First / Business Class every week long-haul is great, it is super-tiring.

Yeah I can imagine how tiring is must get. It's a big reason I'm not too keen on a career in consulting. But I bet it was a great experience!
Reply 52
Original post by MrMusician95
Yeah I can imagine how tiring is must get. It's a big reason I'm not too keen on a career in consulting. But I bet it was a great experience!

It's what you learn in the job that sets you apart, and it's why the vast majority of CEO's of major companies have some kind of stint in a consulting firm. You quite literally work on everything (unlike an investment bank).. my last case was developing a conflict mediation strategy for a family-owned business where the father and daughter were at loggerheads on what role the daughter's husband should play in the business! Yes, that's a real case.
What is the opinion on MiM from schools such as LSE and LBS. Do MBB look favourably on this degree and would it be instead preferred to wait gain experience and then to do an MBA at a top tier insitituon rather than the MiM
Reply 54
Original post by rob1060
we sent over 100 of our juniors globally this year to Harvard, Stanford or Wharton (and they all had 2-3 year of experience).

Presumably you sponsor the fees? With a lock-in?
(edited 5 years ago)
Also what is roughly the salary and bonus at each level and how long does it generally take to get promoted
Original post by rob1060
Bain are a truly great firm and well deserved in their place in the MBB, but they are massively focused on private equity and consumer / retail, where they excel.

On almost all the other topics and functions, they are wiped clean by the other two. That's why a lot of applicants prefer McK or BCG to Bain.

I would also argue that Bain's culture is far better (more relaxed, friendly, etc.)

out of interest, what firm is super strong with aviation like cases?
Reply 57
Original post by NeedHelpAgain
What is the opinion on MiM from schools such as LSE and LBS. Do MBB look favourably on this degree and would it be instead preferred to wait gain experience and then to do an MBA at a top tier insitituon rather than the MiM

Both are very well-regarded but you would still be competing against undergraduates. The only way we bring in people above the most junior grade is if they have an MBA or PhD, or 3-5 years of work experience.

Personally, I would wait. I did my undergrad and then went to MBA after 2 years. Much better academic experience.
Reply 58
Original post by Doonesbury
Presumably you sponsor the fees? With a lock-in?

Yes we sponsor the fees and yes, there is a lock-in. If you wish to leave before the lock-in expires, there is a formula we use to calculate how much the consultant needs to pay back.
Reply 59
Original post by NeedHelpAgain
Also what is roughly the salary and bonus at each level and how long does it generally take to get promoted

Salary numbers are confidential but I'm sure you know what the market rate is for MBB.

Promotions are strictly up-or-out and happen once every 2-3 years, until you hit Associate Partner / Principal, when the jump to Partner happens in 4-5 years.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending