The Student Room Group

which phone should I buy?

I need help deciding between the p20 lite and the the galaxy a8

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sayko12312
I need help deciding between the p20 lite and the the galaxy a8

Budget? What features are most important to you in a phone?
Reply 2
Don't really know, the one that'll last me longer
Don't really know, the one that'll last me longer

You don't know how much money you want to spend? Is there a reason you settled on these two phones then?
Reply 4
Oh of course they're in my budget, Im also waiting G for black friday but basically they're the ones I plan on gettin. My budget would be around £230

Oh of course they're in my budget, Im also waiting G for black friday but basically they're the ones I plan on gettin. My budget would be around £230

If you can stretch to another £15 then Amazon have the Huawei Honor Play for £245 which is an excellent phone for the price, with a flagship grade processor compared to the midrange ones inside the phones you're currently looking at. The extra power will probably result in more updates over time and keep the phone feeling snappier for longer.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/storage-Camera-Display-Official-Device-Blue/dp/B07GDR4PGS/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1542453384&sr=8-2&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=honor+play
a8
Reply 7
How about the honor 8x
How about the honor 8x

More powerful than your original two choices, less powerful than the Honor Play. If you can stretch I would still go for the Play, if not the 8X.
Reply 9
OK help me lastly choose between Motorola g6, galaxy a8 2018 and honor play. Except this time I don't care about processing power, screen size and ram. I care about camera capabilities front and back, weather resistancy (an important one) and updated meaning with latest android version, most likely to receive future updates. If you have a phone that's outclasses all these and corresponds to my criteria and budget of around £230 please tell me I would be so grateful. So far I've concluded that motorola was best but I'm a bit uncomfortable with that brand.
Reply 10
i usually use this when i'm flip flopping between different models: https://gadgets.ndtv.com/mobiles/compare-best-phones
hopefully it helps!
Original post by ebxl
i usually use this when i'm flip flopping between different models: https://gadgets.ndtv.com/mobiles/compare-best-phones
hopefully it helps!

Thank u some phones dont have a rating but I got my answer
sayko12312

OK help me lastly choose between Motorola g6, galaxy a8 2018 and honor play. Except this time I don't care about processing power, screen size and ram. I care about camera capabilities front and back, weather resistancy (an important one) and updated meaning with latest android version, most likely to receive future updates. If you have a phone that's outclasses all these and corresponds to my criteria and budget of around £230 please tell me I would be so grateful. So far I've concluded that motorola was best but I'm a bit uncomfortable with that brand.

All phones are weather resistant, the Motorola's designation as "splash proof" is borderline meaningless. The best for water resistance is the Galaxy A8, it's the only one with an official IP rating and can survive a drop in water. Camera quality across all three is going to be similarly unremarkable but I would expect either the Samsung or Huawei to come out on top, and the Huawei is the only one that can shoot 4K video if that interests you. For updates, the Honor Play will almost certainly win as it is essentially a last-gen flagship internally, it will receive support for a similar amount of time as their big name phones like the Mate 10 and P20 series, while the other two are distinctly budget oriented mid-rangers with less investment justified and weaker processors.

So yeah, based on all criteria I would probably go Play>A8>G6 overall, or A8>Play>G6 if waterproofing and display quality are your absolute top priorities (the A8 uses one of the Samsung's excellent AMOLED panels, the display on the Play is very good but Samsung simply make the best screens on the market) but if longevity is still your main concern, nothing beats the Play at this price point.point
If its so good I fot get why its cheaper than both the other 2 phones I mean its a good thing but why and even the honor 10 is around its range
Also I'd like to try it before buying but it's so difficult finding a display model I went to Westfield Stratford and went through so many shops I even tested multiple honor phones but no honor play
One last thing the honor play is a huge phone Im used to my p10 lite is there not anything that a little smaller but equally just as great.
personally I would go for the s8
Original post by Vincerii
personally I would go for the s8

My budget is £200 to £300
Also I'd like to try it before buying but it's so difficult finding a display model I went to Westfield Stratford and went through so many shops I even tested multiple honor phones but no honor play

Not much I can do about that really.
One last thing the honor play is a huge phone Im used to my p10 lite is there not anything that a little smaller but equally just as great.

It's more that your P10 Lite is tiny by modern standards, the Honor Play is about average size for a 2018 phone.
Is there really no 0hone equally good but with a smaller size?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending