The Student Room Group

Got caught by the bus inspectors!! :(

Okay so on Thursday I brought a child one way ticket and on the way an inspector came on and asked me for my age. I stuttered and said I was 15 and they asked for my date of birth and I froze so they took me off and told me I had to pay a fine of £40 or else it would go up to £70 and he would get the police involved

I had literally NO money so they asked for my name (I gave my real name) and but I lied saying I was now 17 (Im 18) and gave them the wrong address (my old address). I've never done anything bad like this before and I have no money whatsoever/no job, do you think I could get away with it?? Im so worried
Reply 1
I think you’re probably fine. Did the inspector take note of your name and address. They may have just done this to scare you and make sure you wouldn’t do it again. I doubt they would go out of their way to report you but if they do I’m not sure how it would work or if they’ll find out you used a wrong address. I think because you’re 18 this might be worse because you are an actual adult compared to being 17 when your still classed as a kid in life. But I wouldn’t worry too much, if it happens you get a letter you might just have to suck it up and pay the fine or (not to scare you) but be forced to go to court.
Is this in London with TFL?
A ticket inspector did the same thing to me on Thursday but it was a discount oyster. I didn’t even know it was...
Bus inspectors? lmao

Never heard of them - is this something that is in London?
Reply 5
Original post by Bill Nye
Bus inspectors? lmao

Sometimes, only sometimes there are ticket inspectors in buses here in London, yes. I just had to deal with one last week while I was on the bus
Reply 6
I’ve had police go onto buses with ticket inspectors in Manchester lmao
This reminds me a bit of when I was younger. Some kid that lived opposite me got caught acting antisocial on a train, and the little **** gave my name and address, and not his! We had someone official knock on the door about it and my parents were really baffled because I had a perfect alibi for the night in question, and it was very out of character for me. They managed to catch up with my neighbour though because he gave his own postcode and not mine (thinking we’d have the same as we lived opposite). So really, it’s best not to try and outsmart these people, as you can just make it worse. That said, how much legal clout does a bus inspector really have? They’d have to prove it was really you, which could involve CCTV etc. I’d say if anything more becomes of it, just be honest and pay up before it escalates.
Bus inspectors? lmao

You haven't been on a bus and a mush has come round checking tickets?

Certainly not just a London thing.
Original post by Notoriety

No, never lmao
Original post by tecb
I think you’re probably fine. Did the inspector take note of your name and address. They may have just done this to scare you and make sure you wouldn’t do it again. I doubt they would go out of their way to report you but if they do I’m not sure how it would work or if they’ll find out you used a wrong address. I think because you’re 18 this might be worse because you are an actual adult compared to being 17 when your still classed as a kid in life. But I wouldn’t worry too much, if it happens you get a letter you might just have to suck it up and pay the fine or (not to scare you) but be forced to go to court.

They had a camera on their vest and kept saying to me multiple times that this is recording and if you refuse to pay it will be used against you so they know what I look like too...
Original post by Anonymous
Is this in London with TFL?

Bus inspectors? lmao

Original post by Notoriety

Aha this is Birmingham kmt
Original post by Citizenofpanem
This reminds me a bit of when I was younger. Some kid that lived opposite me got caught acting antisocial on a train, and the little **** gave my name and address, and not his! We had someone official knock on the door about it and my parents were really baffled because I had a perfect alibi for the night in question, and it was very out of character for me. They managed to catch up with my neighbour though because he gave his own postcode and not mine (thinking we’d have the same as we lived opposite). So really, it’s best not to try and outsmart these people, as you can just make it worse. That said, how much legal clout does a bus inspector really have? They’d have to prove it was really you, which could involve CCTV etc. I’d say if anything more becomes of it, just be honest and pay up before it escalates.

They recorded our conversation with a camera on their vest so they know what I look like (not sure whether it was actually on though)
What happened to that kid? Did he end up paying it all in the end? The address that I gave is a few miles away from me so i hope they don't find me but I don't have freaking 40 pounds to pay this with
Original post by Anonymous
Okay so on Thursday I brought a child one way ticket and on the way an inspector came on and asked me for my age. I stuttered and said I was 15 and they asked for my date of birth and I froze so they took me off and told me I had to pay a fine of £40 or else it would go up to £70 and he would get the police involved

I had literally NO money so they asked for my name (I gave my real name) and but I lied saying I was now 17 (Im 18) and gave them the wrong address (my old address). I've never done anything bad like this before and I have no money whatsoever/no job, do you think I could get away with it?? Im so worried

I reckon you could get away with it. But I would not bank on it as you have given them your real name. But honestly they probably not gonna chase it up. They just want to scare you so you pay. I doged train fares for 2 years and no one caught on even when I got caught which was only twice. I also did that trick but I got a bit old to be doing it and they started catching on. I would say its your call but I would not worry.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending