The Student Room Group

particle physics a-level help!

the question is:

a proton and a pi- go to a K- and a pi+

state which laws are conserved, and which law isn't to show that this reaction is not observed.

I understand that strangeness is not conserved, and the charge is conserved, but the mark scheme says that baryon number is conserved but I don't understand why?
can someone please explain, thanks.

I know I am probably missing something really easy.
There are two types of baryons. hadrons and mesons. All hadrons that aren't antiparticles will have a baryon number of one as they are made up of 3 quarks. mesons are made up of a quark and anti-quark and so have no baryon number.
Original post by BenCushing
There are two types of baryons. hadrons and mesons. All hadrons that aren't antiparticles will have a baryon number of one as they are made up of 3 quarks. mesons are made up of a quark and anti-quark and so have no baryon number.

This is incorrect. There are two types of Hadrons, which are Baryons and Mesons. Baryons have 3 quarks and Mesons have 2 quarks.
Original post by gracehumph
the question is:

a proton and a pi- go to a K- and a pi+

state which laws are conserved, and which law isn't to show that this reaction is not observed.

I understand that strangeness is not conserved, and the charge is conserved, but the mark scheme says that baryon number is conserved but I don't understand why?
can someone please explain, thanks.

I know I am probably missing something really easy.

Hi
Are you sure that is the correct particle interaction given in the question, as it doesn't seem to be possible. Baryon number is conserved in all interactions. Only the proton in that equation has a baryon number of 1, therefore the left hand side does not match up with the right hand side.

Quick Reply

Latest