The Student Room Group

Just finished RAF basic Training at halton...any questions?

Hey guys, I have just finished basic training at RAF Halton so I feel I'm in a good position to give up to date answers on any burning questions you may have about the application process or the actual training itself. Fire away... More than happy to help if I can

Cheers

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Since basically everything has been covered about brtc on tsr at least once I want to know about the haircuts as this seems to have been left out. What's the compulsorary style given in the first week and when is it given? Anything else you may want to add will be greatly appreciated
Reply 2
Original post by Sixtoes
Since basically everything has been covered about brtc on tsr at least once I want to know about the haircuts as this seems to have been left out. What's the compulsorary style given in the first week and when is it given? Anything else you may want to add will be greatly appreciated

From day 02 everyone is scooped off to the station barber for a hair cut. You have to have a no2 cut all over... And you have to regularly have it done too throughout the 10 weeks. When you start getting local/ home leaves later on down the line, you can go and get it cut yourself.
If I go in with a shorter blade on the side and got a 2 on top while I was in there what would happen?
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Morgan09
If I go in with a shorter blade on the side and got a 2 on top while I was in there what would happen?

You can go in with whatever hair you like, all they'll do is make you grow it out to a 2 all over
So will they just shave it to a 2 once it grows
Reply 6
Original post by Morgan09
So will they just shave it to a 2 once it grows

Yep. Don't worry though, everyone else will have the exact same cut as you. You have to go every week to the station barber and pay £5 for a cut 😉
Ah alright, nice one mate
Original post by SirSausage
Hey guys, I have just finished basic training at RAF Halton so I feel I'm in a good position to give up to date answers on any burning questions you may have about the application process or the actual training itself. Fire away... More than happy to help if I can

Cheers

Hi mate, few questions:

When do you get all your injections and blood tests? Are the nurses friendly or is it very much "shut up and don't be a baby"?

How/where was the adventure training? I read somewhere about using the low ropes but not sure if that was related.

Lasty, any general advice for it?
Reply 9
Original post by newbie1016
Hi mate, few questions:

When do you get all your injections and blood tests? Are the nurses friendly or is it very much "shut up and don't be a baby"?

How/where was the adventure training? I read somewhere about using the low ropes but not sure if that was related.

Lasty, any general advice for it?

Day 02 is your first trip to the med centre to get your injections and blood tests. I think we went 3/4 times during the 10 weeks, you cant get them all in one day.

No, they're really supportive to people that are scared of needles or nervous etc. You will go first and they will spend more time with you. The med centre is quite a chilled environment compared to everywhere else.

Adventure training is on your 3rd week and you go to South Wales..make the most of this, as it is super laid back, you get plenty more sleep and its just good fun. We did caving, high ropes, orienteering and abseiling/ climbing It is random what you do depending on the weather.

The food is also pretty good there. It honestly felt like it was a week break away. Enjoy it.

Low ropes is on Saturday (day 04), it's just team building games where they see who the leaders are in the group, after that theyll probably pick the seniors/ room seniors from it.
Hope that helps a bit
Original post by SirSausage

Adventure training is on your 3rd week and you go to South Wales..make the most of this, as it is super laid back, you get plenty more sleep and its just good fun. We did caving, high ropes, orienteering and abseiling/ climbing It is random what you do depending on the weather.

Do you have to do this? I'm **** scared of heights haha
Reply 11

I'm absolutely terrified of heights too, I was told it wasn't optional, so I just had to do it. But boy the feeling after doing it was pretty brilliant! The whole 10 weeks you'll be doing things you've never done before... Just gotta grab the bull by the horns and go for it. The 10 weeks fly by and now I'm sat in my living room with a beer, wondering what the hell just happened while I reply to you! 😆
Reply 12
What do you do while awaiting trade training? Where do you live?
Reply 13
Original post by Sixtoes
What do you do while awaiting trade training? Where do you live?

So depending on how far your trade training is away, you will either go on SATT's(servicemen awaiting trade training) or you will go straight on leave. Because my training is not far away I got to go on leave for about 10 days. SATT's have to wait on camp and help around with whatever needs doing(they do get leave, just not always straight away). They do have to move all their stuff from the recruit barrack blocks to SATT's blocks over in the staff area. Been told by my friends that it's nice and chilled. If you're on SATT's long enough, you can do cool things like go on skiing trips or trips abroad etc.

That's pretty much the point. It's dressed up as adventure training and made to feel like a more relaxing week, but in reality the training aim of the week is to put you in positions where you're uncomfortable and, potentially, scared. They want to see how you react, see how you cope.

They don't just send you on a jolly for the hell of it. A week like that costs a small fortune. It has to be worth it.
Reply 15
Original post by Drewski
That's pretty much the point. It's dressed up as adventure training and made to feel like a more relaxing week, but in reality the training aim of the week is to put you in positions where you're uncomfortable and, potentially, scared. They want to see how you react, see how you cope.

They don't just send you on a jolly for the hell of it. A week like that costs a small fortune. It has to be worth it.

Agreed, its also there for the team building element, hence why it's put so early in the course - to get you working as a team asap, makes the rest of the 10 weeks easier.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 17
No ****, wasn't a week of crapping myself to be relaxing :wink:

SirSausage where abouts is it usually held?

Crickhowell, south Wales. You get a nice long bus down there and if you're lucky, they stop at maccys on the way 😉
do you have to shave your noggin
Reply 19
Original post by $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
do you have to shave your noggin

Yes, unfortunately. If you're a male - a number 2 all over.

Quick Reply

Latest