The Student Room Group

How to get a 1st in chemical engineering

How can I prepare to get a 1st in university while on a year out? for Chemical engineering at Imperial?
Reply 1
Original post by journisssio
How can I prepare to get a 1st in university while on a year out? for Chemical engineering at Imperial?

Are you achieving a First currently?

Why are you taking a year out? Are you doing the Year Abroad?
Reply 2
Original post by Doonesbury
Are you achieving a First currently?

Why are you taking a year out? Are you doing the Year Abroad?

my bad, im on a gap year, got good A-Levels and am currently just working and have a lot of spare time. I want to get ahead for uni.
Reply 3
my bad, im on a gap year, got good A-Levels and am currently just working and have a lot of spare time. I want to get ahead for uni.

Just enjoy your gap year - there's no need to "get ahead".
Theres not much you can do without knowing what topics and modules you will cover - best think to do would be find out what the topics are, maybe contact them? and then you get get books out of the library and start studying them

As Doones said, there's no need to get ahead. Everything is taught from the ground-up anyway.

If you really want to perhaps make your life slightly easier, maybe have a flick through your maths textbooks now and again to keep it fresh in your mind :borat:
Reply 6
Thanks, I've found an open course oxford offers for maths which is for first year so that's how I plan on learning that. Do you happen to know of anywhere I could learn about fluid dynamics?
Reply 7
Original post by Doonesbury
Just enjoy your gap year - there's no need to "get ahead".

The only thing is I really want to get onto the year abroad scheme, and have a fair amount of spare time atm
Reply 8
ok, I've mentioned both in my personal statement but when trying to learn about them more all of the resources I've found have had some complex maths I don't understand, is there anywhere you could recommend for me to learn about them?
Reply 9
Thanks! didn't let me rep you again but ill definately check these in the morning
Thanks, I actually never thought about reading lists seems like a good idea. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest