The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Biomedical engineering admissions exam

I'm an international applicant and I have applied to imperial college to read biomedical engineering. I have passed the first stage of assessment and I was asked to write the biomedical engineering admissions exam, so I was wondering who else has done it or something similar and what to expect, what to study, and how to practice for it.
Thanks

Scroll to see replies

hi and i am applying for bme in imperial woo. but i only recevied an interview requirement. is there an admission exam?
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Original post by binnnnnwlee
hi and i am applying for bme in imperial tooo. but i only recevied an interview requirement. is there an admission exam?

They gave me an option to do either an in person interview or an alternative assessment. I can't attend the interviews so I asked to do the alternative assessment and so I'm doing the exam instead. I don't think it's a requirement if you can attend the in person interviews
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Thejolllyrancher
They gave me an option to do either an in person interview or an alternative assessment. I can't attend the interviews so I asked to do the alternative assessment and so I'm doing the exam instead. I don't think it's a requirement if you can attend the in person interviews

I recommend emailing them or calling just in case

that's fairly strange haha, well good luck! i think read those a-level textbooks would help a lot.
Original post by binnnnnwlee
that's fairly strange haha, well good luck! i think read those a-level textbooks would help a lot.

Thanks! Good luck to you too!
I am doing the test too!!
Probably tomorrow or the day after :frown:
Have you done any prep? If so, HOW?!
I've mainly done some questions from the past MAT exams (Oxford math exams), PAT exams (the Oxford physics exam) and STEP papers. You can try googling past papers of these and you'll find a bunch along with solutions
I've also tried googling the A levels math syllabus and tricks that engineers use to solve problems.
I'm not sure if I should look up some things for biology...
Good luck !
I've mainly done some questions from the past MAT exams (Oxford math exams), PAT exams (the Oxford physics exam) and STEP papers. You can try googling past papers of these and you'll find a bunch along with solutions
I've also tried googling the A levels math syllabus and tricks that engineers use to solve problems.
I'm not sure if I should look up some things for biology...
Good luck !

What have you done to prep?
How did everyone find itt?
Original post by mohdk2001
How did everyone find itt?

I would assume not everyone has done it on the same day, but I went okay, solved like 3 questions, what about you ?
Hi, I have encountered the very same situation here. Can I ask have you done the test? What is it about? What subject and topic should i prepare?
Original post by Ziyi Chloe
Hi, I have encountered the very same situation here. Can I ask have you done the test? What is it about? What subject and topic should i prepare?

It's mainly math orientated, so revise for anything you have done for high school math
I'm an international applicant and I have applied to imperial college to read biomedical engineering. I have passed the first stage of assessment and I was asked to write the biomedical engineering admissions exam, so I was wondering who else has done it or something similar and what to expect, what to study, and how to practice for it.
Thanks

have you heard back ever since ?
Original post by SeanlvsGloria
have you heard back ever since ?

Yeah I was rejected
dont let this scare you! I'm telling you this because it happens and it is honestly ok and no big deal (doesn't mean it will happen to you though). The thing that hindered my success the most is that the curriculum that I am following teaches much less in math and the sciences than they teach you in the UK by the time you get to the final year.
Good luck with your applications!
It's mainly math orientated, so revise for anything you have done for high school math

Thank you!! Is the paper hard? Is it harder than A level? Or how is it compared with oxford MAT in terms of difficulty? Oh and are there any biology questions for science? 😂 I’m kind of nervous about this since i didn’t take bio in high school.
(edited 5 years ago)
Yeah I was rejected
dont let this scare you! I'm telling you this because it happens and it is honestly ok and no big deal (doesn't mean it will happen to you though). The thing that hindered my success the most is that the curriculum that I am following teaches much less in math and the sciences than they teach you in the UK by the time you get to the final year.
Good luck with your applications!

I'm very sorry to hear that, from the way you talk i could tell you are a brilliant person, you deserve better. Thank you for your kind words as well!

If i may ask, when were you notified about the result? Please ignore me if you don't feel comfortable with this question.

Eitherway, i wish the very best of you! I'm sure there are better choices for you!
Thank you!! Is the paper hard? Is it harder than A level? Or how is it compared with oxford MAT in terms of difficulty? Oh and are there any biology questions for science? 😂 I’m kind of nervous about this since i didn’t take bio in high school.

I'm not sure if i'm allowed to spread the questions but i can tell you that it's quite difficult, although i don't think that means anything negative, i would recommend you to not worry too much about the questions answers but rather how you approach it, as far as i am aware of, your thoughts behind your answers are far more weighted than the actual answers you get.

Tell us how it goes, and best of luck goes to you!

Also, it is harder than A level. Sorry if my answer wasn't particularly helpful :frown:
I'm not sure if i'm allowed to spread the questions but i can tell you that it's quite difficult, although i don't think that means anything negative, i would recommend you to not worry too much about the questions answers but rather how you approach it, as far as i am aware of, your thoughts behind your answers are far more weighted than the actual answers you get.

Tell us how it goes, and best of luck goes to you!

Thank you so much for your kind words ;p I will tell you guys once i know the result. Thanks everyone!! All the best too!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending