The Student Room Group

scared for geography mocks

hey im doing aqa geography mocks and honestly i enjoy geography but i really struggle on it and i really don't know what i should be learning for the physical paper

Section A: The challenge of natural hazards
Section C: Physical landscapes in the UK
Geographical skills

this is what were gonna be tested on but is there anything in particular i should try and revise in those? like case studies?
revise case studies as you will most likely need to reference them in the 6 and 9 markers :smile:
also revise the rest of the content in those sections that you have done in class/that's in the textbook

good luck :heart:
Reply 2
Original post by laurawatt
revise case studies as you will most likely need to reference them in the 6 and 9 markers :smile:
also revise the rest of the content in those sections that you have done in class/that's in the textbook

good luck :heart:

ughh im gonna struggle so bad
Original post by Luca Km
ughh im gonna struggle so bad

you'll do amazingly! just remember to look at the timing and prioritise questions you think you can pick up more marks on if you only have a few minutes left :smile:
Revise case studies as mentioned. Try to pick like a few facts to remember. For example, 2 primary and secondary effects, 2 immediate and long term responses. It's good to remember them but make sure you can analyse them. Also revise landforms (coastal, river - you may be doing glacial) and plate boundaries. For me I find plate boundaries easy so I really didn't' revise them for my paper 1 mock last week but I do always forget my coastal landforms and middle course-lower course river landforms so I looked at headlands, bays, meanders, ox-bow lakes. As well as this you need to know some stuff about climate change: the human causes, natural causes, its effects and mitigation of climate change. Normally with Section A you have four big case studies: tectonic hazards in an LIC/NEE, tectonic hazards in a HIC, a tropical storm and a UK weather hazards. For me I'm studying the 2010 Haiti Earthquake (HIC), 2011 Christchurch Earthquake (HIC), 2013 Typhoon Haiyan (LIC) and 2009 Cumbria Floods (HIC). Basically I'll sum it up.

Section A:
Tectonic hazards
- Plate boundaries
- Formation of earthquakes and volcanoes
- Tectonic hazard in a HIC and LIC/NEE case studies
Weather hazards
- Formation of tropical storms
-Tropical storm case study
- UK weather hazard case study
Climate change
- Causes
- Effects
- Mitigation
- Evidence

Section B:
You'll be doing two from coastal, river and glacial landscapes in the UK each subtopic includes
- Erosion
- Deposition
- Landforms
- Identifying landforms (on an OS map)
Both coastal and river include transportation and management strategies, glacial includes tourism and land use in glacial landscapes

My tips are do not panic, over-stress yourself and revise at last minute, it does no good. Don't spend too long on one question and write enough in accordance to the number of marks. Work on your exam response technique, you are going to get 6 markers and 9 markers, so work on structuring your answer well. Most importantly, finish the paper and answer every question.

Good luck.
https://filestore.aqa.org.uk/resources/geography/specifications/AQA-8035-SP-2016.PDF

I would be surprised if you haven't seen this before, but this contains what you need to know for each topic. You must learn all the case study references in this document as well as the topics where it says 'an example' both should be learnt in the same amount of detail as they can equally come up in the exam.
I would also say to learn information, facts that you know you can remember. There are some topics on the spec where it doesn't tell you to learn a specific example but you need to know them in order to add detail to your answer. Moreover, don't neglect basic theory as well, as the whole exam won't just be case studies and examples.

Quick Reply

Latest