The Student Room Group

When was the last time you read a book?

Scroll to see replies

Good damn question... about 30 yrs ago. Asimov - The Gods themselves! Only book I read in under a week... couldn't put it down.
Original post by CoolCavy
Not everyone enjoys the same thing. People shouldnt be looked down on not for reading, there are loads of other things that lower stress and anxiety etc like exercise. People dont have unlimited time to do all these things so they pick the ones they enjoy. For me that is art.

I'm not looking down on anyone. But I am not going to give someone a round of applause for taking pride in their own ignorance. There are so many people (many of them girls) who have been denied education, that when you have been given such tools, you should make best use of them - not necessarily for your own pleasure, but for the wider betterment of society.

Perhaps proving the point, reading fiction builds empathy - it is the closest one gets to truly experiencing the world through a different consciousness. Being able to do so allows one to see the world from different points of view, rather than through the filter of one's own limited experience. Understanding others is the pathway to peace.
Original post by LiyoS
I'm not looking down on anyone. But I am not going to give someone a round of applause for taking pride in their own ignorance. There are so many people (many of them girls) who have been denied education, that when you have been given such tools, you should make best use of them - not necessarily for your own pleasure, but for the wider betterment of society.

Perhaps proving the point, reading fiction builds empathy - it is the closest one gets to truly experiencing the world through a different consciousness. Being able to do so allows one to see the world from different points of view, rather than through the filter of one's own limited experience. Understanding others is the pathway to peace.

No-one was asking for your validation in the first place
can usually be found with a book somewhere close to hand. Read something every day.
Have done since being a small child. I love reading
Original post by LiyoS

Same style of argument could be used for art. Art helps people to express themselves without words, not everything needs to be said. It's a positive outlet and can influence people to truly understand someone etc etc
I love reading. Would spend all my time with books if I could
But the then I get so absorbed and sad when I finish series of books I know aren’t gonna come back.

I read depending on my mood. Some times That men’s three 300 page books in 1 week. Or 1 book in 3 months
Reply 26
Every day, right now I'm reading The Idiot by Elif Batuman
A few weeks ago. (25 books was my own goal this year) :smile: but done that now so just rereading the first couple of books in the series I'm currently reading to refresh my memory of what happened. Basically I'm just rereading old favourites atm :yes: ...I need to reread Harry Potter...🤔
(edited 5 years ago)
I used to read all the time, but gave it up for a while as it turned into a form of escapism and ended up triggering. Now I read from time to time, last I read a book was the week before last.
Reply 29
I’m in year 11 right now and hhmmm last time I read a book in my own freetime was year 4, unfortunately
I'm afraid not. When you read fiction you are forced to occupy someone else's thoughts, emotions, situation, and words. You do not get this from any other art form, because you observe (cinema, art) rather than experience. Jonathan Franzen speaks at length about this and how reading makes us feel less alone, because we directly experience the fact someone else has been there before us.

IN addition, reading improves vocabulary and therefore one's ability to interact with others, which also builds empathy
Original post by LiyoS
I'm afraid not. When you read fiction you are forced to occupy someone else's thoughts, emotions, situation, and words. You do not get this from any other art form, because you observe (cinema, art) rather than experience. Jonathan Franzen speaks at length about this and how reading makes us feel less alone, because we directly experience the fact someone else has been there before us.

IN addition, reading improves vocabulary and therefore one's ability to interact with others, which also builds empathy

You may be one of those people that relates more with reading books rather than art.
Sure there's benefits that you can get from reading that you cannot from art and vice versa.
You read that Jonathan Franzen article quickly...
Original post by LiyoS
You read that Jonathan Franzen article quickly...

Don't need to, former book worm. Went through at least a novel a day. I know the benefits of reading. I'll read the article sometime lel
I dont seem to read as much as i used to (i really should do).
But i last read a book a few weeks ago.
Apart from my english lit texts and extra reading I reserved 1984 in the library but it's taking a while tbh :/ can't wait to read it though!
I read quite a bit, especially on holiday (physical books only though)
Last book I read was yesterday :smile:
Yesterday
Original post by AM_TSR
How often do you read? What was the last book you read?

Usually, almost daily. Reading so much as I can on a single day. Last book I read was a big one about mankind's history with passages about great and known personalities like Mahatma Ghandi, Desmond Tutu, Lech Walesa, Dschingis Kahn and Olaf Palme. That was yesterday. The last novel was in October.
Original post by AM_TSR
How often do you read? What was the last book you read?

I read everyday. I am currently reading a book called 'Guapa', which is about a gay Muslim Arab man.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending