The Student Room Group

A-Level or Btec?

Hi, I'm a 17 years old international student who wants to study in UK. In 2 weeks, I have to choose A-lever or BTEC. I really hate exams so I'm considering to do BTEC level 3 extended diploma in business with one or two from A-level such as mathematics and further math. The problem is that top unis (Oxford, KCL and LSE) are believed not to accept students doing BTEC although they have official BTEC entry requirement. Is it possible to enter top unis with BTEC? Or should I do A-level?
Reply 1
i highly recommend you do alevels as most unis prefer to accept students who have a levels. Even though a level 3 Btec is apparently worth 3 a levels, most people don't see it like this. The majority of people i know who do Btec are going on to do an apprenticeship and not uni.
Reply 2
Original post by FrazerE
i highly recommend you do alevels as most unis prefer to accept students who have a levels. Even though a level 3 Btec is apparently worth 3 a levels, most people don't see it like this. The majority of people i know who do Btec are going on to do an apprenticeship and not uni.

Bold: Yes they do.

Original post by soojin010222
Hi, I'm a 17 years old international student who wants to study in UK. In 2 weeks, I have to choose A-lever or BTEC. I really hate exams so I'm considering to do BTEC level 3 extended diploma in business with one or two from A-level such as mathematics and further math. The problem is that top unis (Oxford, KCL and LSE) are believed not to accept students doing BTEC although they have official BTEC entry requirement. Is it possible to enter top unis with BTEC? Or should I do A-level?

I graduated from 2 top 20/30 unis for my bachelors and masters and I did a BTEC Extended Diploma (worth 3 A levels) with NO additional A levels.

Unis aren't biased to whether they accept someone with BTEC vs someone with A levels, they have requirements which if you meet then you should get an offer irrelevant of the type of qualification (providing your PS and references are fine). Me and several people from my old BTEC class got offers for good unis several months before the UCAS deadline so it would be impossible for them to have waited until all applications were in - this included unis such as, KCL, UCL, Southampton, RHUL, Bath, Manchester, Cardiff, Surrey, Reading and Sussex, among others.
Reply 3
If you hate exams then BTEC obviously.

What's the point going down a route you're more likely to fail on?
Original post by FrazerE

That's a bad news. I should find out more
Original post by xDron3
If you hate exams then BTEC obviously.

What's the point going down a route you're more likely to fail on?

Yep. You have a point.
Thank you for experience-based reply which makes me relieved. I will do my best and the results will show my efforts.
Reply 7
Original post by FrazerE

Source? Where’s the evidence that they don’t accept BTEC students?
95% of all UK universities accept BTEC as an entry to a course, including many from the Russell Group.
Some courses such as English, Maths & History aren’t offered as Btec, because it’s more academic than coursework, and therefore not being able to enter the course in university as they need you to have done academic qualifications aka A Levels. But for courses like Business, Sports or Health & Social Care is accepted through btec qualifications at university as coursework is a big factor in the course.

All in all, academic subjects (English, Maths and History) would rather prefer or require A Levels.
Coursework related subjects (Business, Health & Social Care) would not mind btec

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending