The Student Room Group

HM Treasury Graduate Scheme (2018/9)

Scroll to see replies

Does anybody have any visibility on how long each stage takes? For example, how long it takes to recieve a verdict on the tests, and then the later review stage if you pass?
Original post by Uncle_Fester
I received an email saying I had passed the online tests and was now moving to have my application reviewed. Then a while later I received an email saying I had been unsuccessful at review. So there is another step between online tests and the AC. I found that out the hard way sadly!!

Oh right :frown:, I would've assumed the reviews would be done before the online tests! When did you hear back from them after their review (if you remember)?
Original post by elohelhello
Oh right :frown:, I would've assumed the reviews would be done before the online tests! When did you hear back from them after their review (if you remember)?

Yea, was a bit of a nasty shocker. Hmm...I can't remember, maximum a couple weeks though? I have a few grad schemes I'm in the process of applying/going through at the minute since last year I was way too selective.

Anyone applying for grad schemes reading this, cast your net far and wide. Often it's a numbers game.
Yea, was a bit of a nasty shocker. Hmm...I can't remember, maximum a couple weeks though? I have a few grad schemes I'm in the process of applying/going through at the minute since last year I was way too selective.

Anyone applying for grad schemes reading this, cast your net far and wide. Often it's a numbers game.

Thank you! And you're right. How many schemes is everyone roughly applying for? Not sure if I've applied for enough.
Reply 64
I've been going on the numerical test for around 40 mins now... is there something wrong?!
Original post by MrMooo
I've been going on the numerical test for around 40 mins now... is there something wrong?!

If I remember correctly, the NR test for the treasury works on an increasing constant of difficulty. e.g. If you do well on a question they wll bump you up a difficulty, if you do well on that they bump you up again, if you do wrong, they drop you down, and they gradually work out your average capability. At least, I remember it that way. I could be hideously wrong!

I think @antigone- mentioned this previously as well. Am I right?
Reply 66
Hey guys, I'm preparing to sit my online tests. I know they aren't timed and you can save the application as you go (so I'm assuming you can dip and out). But just wondering if you can go forwards and backwards through the questions? Once you've submitted an answer is that it and you can't go back?
Original post by Dupree
Hey guys, I'm preparing to sit my online tests. I know they aren't timed and you can save the application as you go (so I'm assuming you can dip and out). But just wondering if you can go forwards and backwards through the questions? Once you've submitted an answer is that it and you can't go back?

From what I remember (prepping to take them again this year) is that you can't go back because the next question is determined on whether you got the last right or wrong and adjusts the difficulty to find your level of competence if that makes sense?
Reply 68
From what I remember (prepping to take them again this year) is that you can't go back because the next question is determined on whether you got the last right or wrong and adjusts the difficulty to find your level of competence if that makes sense?

Yeah that makes total sense, thank you! And good luck for your own tests :smile:
Does anyone know when we receive feedback for online tests?
Silly Question: If we get the role, where will we be physically based? I had assumd the only office they have is in London... but I realise now that this might be completley wrong and I can't remember if we had a choice of areas in our application.
Just finished the tests but not really sure how they went as they didn't seem to last too long...
Original post by Ellayork97
Just finished the tests but not really sure how they went as they didn't seem to last too long...

I'm pretty sure that's normal. They tell you to set aside 20 mins for the verbal and an hour for the numeric. You can take less time but that's a rough guideline for what they expect. Now it's just a waiting game.
Original post by ThatGuyWeAllKnow
I'm pretty sure that's normal. They tell you to set aside 20 mins for the verbal and an hour for the numeric. You can take less time but that's a rough guideline for what they expect. Now it's just a waiting game.

Thanks I couldn’t remember what the guidelines were. I think it was 25 mins for numerical and 11 for verbal. To be fair I normally just answer things instinctively so tend to go through them quite quickly. Yes hopefully it won’t be too long of a wait after the deadline!
Reply 74
This might be a really dim question but my deadline is Tuesday (tomorrow) but there's no mention of a time. Should I assume that means midnight tonight or Tuesday at the time of receiving the email with the link? Or midnight tomorrow night? To be safe I realise I should do it this evening but I'm pretty busy and would like to avoid that if possible. If anyone can shed any light on this it would be very much appreciated.
Original post by En93
This might be a really dim question but my deadline is Tuesday (tomorrow) but there's no mention of a time. Should I assume that means midnight tonight or Tuesday at the time of receiving the email with the link? Or midnight tomorrow night? To be safe I realise I should do it this evening but I'm pretty busy and would like to avoid that if possible. If anyone can shed any light on this it would be very much appreciated.

It will say in the portal. Mine were both the end of the day (23:59:59) 7 days after email. And no, my email wasn't received at 23:59:59! So likely to be the very end of the day 7 days after. But check
Reply 76
Original post by Blobby2345
It will say in the portal. Mine were both the end of the day (23:59:59) 7 days after email. And no, my email wasn't received at 23:59:59! So likely to be the very end of the day 7 days after. But check

Thanks! The email says to do it midnight 20/11/18 and also to have it done before 20/11/18 but it says 11/20/2018 23:59:59 GMT on the portal so I'm rolling with that. Thanks again and hope the rest of your application goes well!
Oh dear, just looked at this thread after I completed my tests and took my sweet time on the numerical reasoning one. Not sure why it didn't occur to me that although I wouldn't be timed, I would still be assessed on the time taken...

How long did you guys take to complete the tests? My numerical reasoning was 28 minutes :s-smilie: then verbal reasoning was 12. If that gives an indicator of my struggle with numbers haha!
Reply 78
Original post by loisanne123
Oh dear, just looked at this thread after I completed my tests and took my sweet time on the numerical reasoning one. Not sure why it didn't occur to me that although I wouldn't be timed, I would still be assessed on the time taken...

How long did you guys take to complete the tests? My numerical reasoning was 28 minutes :s-smilie: then verbal reasoning was 12. If that gives an indicator of my struggle with numbers haha!

I think I took a similar time for my tests! I'm hoping they don't look into it too much!
Original post by loisanne123

I did mine today. 12 on VR and I think 16-17 on NR? One particular question has my head hurting, but I must have only answered like 6-8 questions? I'm sure you'll do fine! There were some who took much much longer. Plus, if you have a high accuracy it'll help make up for taking a bit longer I'm sure. Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest