The Student Room Group

Am I a UK or EU student?

Hey guys! Sorry if this is obvious/has been asked before but I'm personally confused!
I have a spanish passport but I'm living and working full time in the UK for just over 2 years now... What does that make me?
I'm planning to go to university in 2019 (most likely Open University since I can't really afford to not work full-time).
I read that UK students can apply for a maintenance loan to cover living expenses? But would I be eligible?
Thank you for your time!!
wtf it doesnt matter eu students are still treated as home and itll be like that at least another year after brexit because there is always a grace period with these sort of things
Original post by Linalolo
wtf it doesnt matter eu students are still treated as home and itll be like that at least another year after brexit because there is always a grace period with these sort of things

Oh ok thanks! I was under the impression that EU students can get the tuition fee loan but not a maintenance loan hence I asked...
Original post by Vickydeepsecret
Oh ok thanks! I was under the impression that EU students can get the tuition fee loan but not a maintenance loan hence I asked...

oh I dont know about the maintenance loan 100%.. I just know that Eu students are treated like a UK national so they are entitled to the same things.. If that includes maintenance then go for it. I think you should email universities though or whoever you need to contact about it to be 100% sure!
Hey guys! Sorry if this is obvious/has been asked before but I'm personally confused!
I have a spanish passport but I'm living and working full time in the UK for just over 2 years now... What does that make me?
I'm planning to go to university in 2019 (most likely Open University since I can't really afford to not work full-time).
I read that UK students can apply for a maintenance loan to cover living expenses? But would I be eligible?

If by 2019 entry you will have resided in England for 3 years minimum

So I don't think you'd be eligble but there are many factors, call UKCISA and ask if you'd be able to get a maintenance loan but I don't thjnk you will :frown:
(edited 5 years ago)

If you’re working full time alongside your studies then you’ll likely be eligible for full maintenance support as a “migrant worker”. The migrant worker category doesn’t matter how long you have been resident but does require you to send regular evidence of employment.

For OU there’s no maintenance loan available anyway unless you are disabled
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending