The Student Room Group

Cemap 1 whilst working full time

I am a Trainee Mortgage Adviser and I have fairly recently started studying for my cemap 1 so I am able to eventually become a fully qualified mortgage adviser. I am finding it very tough working full time (10-12 hours a day and 6 days a week) as well as find the time to study for cemap 1. I have worked in mortgages for over 2 years now and also have a background in working in banks therefore I am reletively clued up on some of subjects but obviously it is a very difficult subject to study no matter your background.

I need some help/advice studying as I am looking to pass my Cemap as quickly as possible.

I am finding due to the limited time I have available to study and pass this exam I only getting through about 7-10 pages per day.

I have started getting up at 6am to study for one hour before each day of work. Is anyone else in this position?

I was wondering whether or not it is best for me to focus on the key terms more than making notes on every little single bit of text I read as I know there is key information on each page which I will need to take in to the exam.

Does/did anyone find focusing on the key terms was enough for them to pass the exam as appose to noting down near enough every sentence they read?

If I was studying full time it would be more beneficial for me to note every single bit of info down but my goal is to get through this as quickly as possible as my employer is giving me a 3 month deadline to get my cemap passed before bringing in another adviser and they could potentially be dealing with business which could be my business if I was to pass and he didn't have to bring in another adviser which means my financial gain would be a whole lot better...

Any advice would be greatly appreciated on this... thanks
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Jtg12345
I am a Trainee Mortgage Adviser and I have fairly recently started studying for my cemap 1 so I am able to eventually become a fully qualified mortgage adviser. I am finding it very tough working full time (10-12 hours a day and 6 days a week) as well as find the time to study for cemap 1. I have worked in mortgages for over 2 years now and also have a background in working in banks therefore I am reletively clued up on some of subjects but obviously it is a very difficult subject to study no matter your background.

I need some help/advice studying as I am looking to pass my Cemap as quickly as possible.

I am finding due to the limited time I have available to study and pass this exam I only getting through about 7-10 pages per day.

I have started getting up at 6am to study for one hour before each day of work. Is anyone else in this position?

I was wondering whether or not it is best for me to focus on the key terms more than making notes on every little single bit of text I read as I know there is key information on each page which I will need to take in to the exam.

Does/did anyone find focusing on the key terms was enough for them to pass the exam as appose to noting down near enough every sentence they read?

If I was studying full time it would be more beneficial for me to note every single bit of info down but my goal is to get through this as quickly as possible as my employer is giving me a 3 month deadline to get my cemap passed before bringing in another adviser and they could potentially be dealing with business which could be my business if I was to pass and he didn't have to bring in another adviser which means my financial gain would be a whole lot better...

Any advice would be greatly appreciated on this... thanks

If you are doing 70 hour weeks then I wouldnt be wanting to study.

You just need to organise yourself.

Its not clear what your previous study record is? GCSE, A Level? But are you a bright student or average?

I would draw up a timetable.
Maximise my available time- journeys, lunchtimes, day off etc. Making notes is part of revising imo, but if you are an inexperienced learner then you may not be as efficient at seeing what you need to learn and what you can leave out. You can try and revise direct from the book, but its risky.

I would suggest you set aside the last 3-4 weeks for exam practice.

How much revision? Unknown really just see how long it takes you to get up to speed with 1 chapter and then multiply it by number of chapters plus add some time for exam papers. You are going to have to make that amount of time fit or you arent going to get through everything. Soemthing will have to give. Might be a lot quicker due to your experience.

Have you seen what extra study aids LIBF provide?
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger
If you are doing 70 hour weeks then I wouldnt be wanting to study.

You just need to organise yourself.

Its not clear what your previous study record is? GCSE, A Level? But are you a bright student or average?

I would draw up a timetable.
Maximise my available time- journeys, lunchtimes, day off etc. Making notes is part of revising imo, but if you are an inexperienced learner then you may not be as efficient at seeing what you need to learn and what you can leave out. You can try and revise direct from the book, but its risky.

I would suggest you set aside the last 3-4 weeks for exam practice.

How much revision? Unknown really just see how long it takes you to get up to speed with 1 chapter and then multiply it by number of chapters plus add some time for exam papers. You are going to have to make that amount of time fit or you arent going to get through everything. Soemthing will have to give. Might be a lot quicker due to your experience.

Have you seen what extra study aids LIBF provide?

Thank you for the reply.

I have been working full time now for 7 years (I'm now 25 and started work at 18) - I was an average student in school and came out with mainly C grades and the odd B in my GCSE's and then went off to study sports science for 18 months in college until I decided to drop out in order to get myself out there in to the working world.

I have not yet taken advantage of the additional study help on LIBF but it may help of considerable help with my circumstances.

I am going to stick to revising before work each day and potentially turn my spare time on a weekend to get an extra few hours of revising in the bag. Short-term sacrifice will definitely be worth what comes with passing this exam!
CEMAP is three parts? You are just talking about the first one? The past papers will tell you how close you are.
Reply 4
Original post by 999tigger
CEMAP is three parts? You are just talking about the first one? The past papers will tell you how close you are.

I am only doing cemap 1 at the minute but once passed I will be moving on to the second which I have been advised will seem a lot easier due to the fact I've worked in the industry for a while and it is more mortgage related
Hi, does anyone have any support materials or Mock exams ny any chance? Thanks
Hi I got more then 1000 question and answers..but to be honest I paid a good money for that..if u want it I will charge u small money and it’s yours..
yes how much will that be please. is it all cemap1i too am getting online course from e-carriers
just buy them on Ebay, £9.99 for past papers dating back to 2010 plus revision notes and loads more. I just completed CeMAP in 2 months, self study for CeMAP 1 and class room based for 2 and 3. In my opinion doing as many mock exams as possible is the best way to prepare for the exams. Knowing the text is fine but that's not enough to know how to apply it in question format.
@ chinnachinna,I am ready to pay that small money you are talking about, how can you be contacted pl?
Original post by chinnachinna
Hi I got more then 1000 question and answers..but to be honest I paid a good money for that..if u want it I will charge u small money and it’s yours..

Hi, Would love to have it also. Im broke, but it would be a big help!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending