The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

ECA Applicants 2019

Just thought that I would start this so we could all help each other I guess. I want to study fashion design at ECA but I’m really nervous that I won’t get in.

Scroll to see replies

I relate, i’m applying for Graphic Design and I’m so worried about getting in
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Reply 2
Yeah, I'm applying for fashion and it's pretty much the only place I want to go
Hi! I am applying to graphic design at ECA and it is my first choice, I'm really nervous but I hope I am able to score a place, FINGERS CROSSED
Original post by kierapotato
Hi! I am applying to graphic design at ECA and it is my first choice, I'm really nervous but I hope I am able to score a place, FINGERS CROSSED

Ahhhhh im so scared im sorting out my portfolio this week, its my first choice aswell i really hope we both get in
Omg I'm sorting my portfolio this week too! I'm gonna use the Christmas break to work on it though, are you Scottish? And what are your grades/predicted? I have AABBCC and am predicted AA this year 😁
Omg I'm sorting my portfolio this week too! I'm gonna use the Christmas break to work on it though, are you Scottish? And what are your grades/predicted? I have AABBCC and am predicted AA this year 😁

Nah im english my predicted grades at A*AB i think my teacher wants to get it sent off asap bc ive done a lot of work for it already so i think mine will be sent off within the next few weeks ahhhh where else are you applying????
I'm applying to 2 courses at Edinburgh, graphic design and product design at Edinburgh Napier and communication design at Glasgow school of art what about you?
I'm applying to 2 courses at Edinburgh, graphic design and product design at Edinburgh Napier and communication design at Glasgow school of art what about you?

Ahhhh i really wanted to apply to glasgow but sadly you need an A at GCSE for english language and i only got a B :frown: but im applying to Edinburgh, Edinburgh Napier, Dundee, Northumbria and Manchester Met all for Graphic Design :smile:
Reply 9
How is everyone's portfolio getting along?
Reply 10
You are all very lucky to have teachers for art.

Mine told me I was going to fail last year but I got an A, and when I walked into class go try our advanced higher he told me I was going to fail and refused to help me so I had to drop the course.

I live too far away to be able to attend any portfolio classes and my school has no budget for the art department so my supplies are very limited as I don’t havs a job to buy stuff with due to being remote.

Currently only have ABB at higher, doing ADH English and maths and history at Higher, predicted A’s and B’s.

I’m just a bit of a mess right now as no one can help me with guidance effort portfolios.
Reply 11
Original post by JReiss
You are all very lucky to have teachers for art.

Mine told me I was going to fail last year but I got an A, and when I walked into class go try our advanced higher he told me I was going to fail and refused to help me so I had to drop the course.

I live too far away to be able to attend any portfolio classes and my school has no budget for the art department so my supplies are very limited as I don’t havs a job to buy stuff with due to being remote.

Currently only have ABB at higher, doing ADH English and maths and history at Higher, predicted A’s and B’s.

I’m just a bit of a mess right now as no one can help me with guidance effort portfolios.

You should definitely talk to some past graduates and ask them for some advice or even email the uni. What course is it that you are want to apply to? Is there a college that is even an hour or two away that you could go to prepare your portfolio? There are also some examples online that you could refer to. That is a shame with your AH art, did the school not consider the A you got at higher?
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 12
Hey, I'm applying to ECA for graphics, I am also applying to GSA, RGU, Dundee and Napier. I've almost finished my portfolio just working on the context images at the moment, I am though surprised about the lack of sharing work on this thread I thought at least one person would've showed their portfolio off. Also regarding the earlier replies I think while having a good teacher can help a lot, it's not essential as art is a skill which you practise independently or look up online tutorials to help yourself improve. None of the teachers at my school know a thing about graphic design but I have self taught myself to the point where my work is being shared by large design accounts on instagram among other professional designers work. Through this I have found the best way to improve at something in this case - art/design is to simply just do a little work everyday, forcing yourself to become creative and search for inspiration. I guarantee if you do this you will start to see improvements very quickly :smile: hope this helped & good luck in all your applications.
has anyone heard anything back?
Reply 14
has anyone heard anything back?

We won’t hear anything back till early March probably, the deadline for portfolio hasn’t even passed. Judging by last years thread people generally hear throughout March and at latest early April
Original post by WNBTH
We won’t hear anything back till early March probably, the deadline for portfolio hasn’t even passed. Judging by last years thread people generally hear throughout March and at latest early April

Yeah apparently its super late! Has anyone applying to dundee 2nd year for graphic desing heard back or knows when we will hear back?
Also dont want to freak out anyone else but I can't believe how little spaces ECA has im actually so scared because I'd give the wolrd to get an offer from Edinburgh, I wonder what type of people will get offers because they're so selective!
Good luck everyone let me know f you hear back from dundee or ECA!
Original post by examsssss
Yeah apparently its super late! Has anyone applying to dundee 2nd year for graphic desing heard back or knows when we will hear back?
Also dont want to freak out anyone else but I can't believe how little spaces ECA has im actually so scared because I'd give the wolrd to get an offer from Edinburgh, I wonder what type of people will get offers because they're so selective!
Good luck everyone let me know f you hear back from dundee or ECA!

Ive not heard anything back from Graphics (2nd year) either :frown:( and ikr thats the main thing that has stressed me out throughout the entire hear im so scared i have personal things that make me need to get into Edinburgh and the low acceptance rate gives me so much anxiety ://
Original post by samisokaytrustme
I relate, i’m applying for Graphic Design and I’m so worried about getting in

I applied for Graphics as well, I am so nervous. Did you hear back yet?
Original post by ellessketchbook
I applied for Graphics as well, I am so nervous. Did you hear back yet?

Nah were only meant to hear back in march :frown:( did you get your portfolio in on time?
Oh noo can't wait haha. Yeah sure. What about you? Why are you asking? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending