The Student Room Group

English Language paper 1

In my exam last year I received a C grade. I am now repeating the exam in a month and I was wondering what can I do to receive a higher grade. my marks mainly dropped in writing section and question 2+4
(edited 5 years ago)
Hve you checked out the markscheme
The higher AO's will get u higher marks
https://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/english/gcse/english-language-8700/scheme-of-assessment
its on the link under ASSESSMENT OBJECTIVES
also, what questions did you struggle on?
if i know maybe i could help?
For question 2 and 4 its all about how you word and explain your points. Some people use the PEE or PEA or PEAL, I personally use PEEZLE: Point Evidence Explanation Zoom (zoom back in to text) Analyse Link (link back to original point or question)
Try using that, and if you're still struggling, check out some vids on youtube, they sometimes help.
Try your best not to blab throughout your answer, it should be nicely structured and flow smoothly, but also keep in mind the time limit
Remember, its not quantity but the quality!
As for question 4, i also struggle getting the higher grades, just keep trying! :smile:

(Original post by Kayb7893)Hve you checked out the markscheme
https://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/english/gcse/english-language-8700/scheme-of-assessment
Original post by bethanyburke
In my exam last year I received a C grade. I am now repeating the exam in a month and I was wondering what can I do to receive a higher grade. my marks mainly dropped in writing section and question 2+4
Reply 3
Original post by Kayb7893
Hve you checked out the markscheme

I love how we immediately assume that he is with AQA and don't ask what awarding body
*they're with.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Tolgarda
I love how we immediately assume that he is with AQA and don't ask what awarding body he's with.

True, sorry, but i also love how you immediately assume it's a HE
Plus, the assessment objectives are the same for all exam boards in English Language. Ur welcome
Reply 5
True, sorry, but i also love how you immediately assume it's a HE
Plus, the assessment objectives are the same for all exam boards in English Language. Ur welcome

The assessment objectives might be the same, but the approach to questions might slightly differ. For example, Edexcel integrates both language and structure into their AO2 questions, unlike AQA, which does not - responses would be structured differently. Another example would be AO3, in which Edexcel has a question consisting of two parts, one that should be answered in a different fashion to the other, while AQA does not.

Assuming the gender of the original poster (which I'll edit now, as I tend to be neutral) is not as important as potentially guiding the user down a misleading route.
(edited 5 years ago)
Yeah, sorry,
Didn't mean to be misleading, that was just what my teacher told me,
I'll leave the link up there just in case u do wanna check it out, but, yh
Reply 7
Yeah, sorry,
Didn't mean to be misleading, that was just what my teacher told me,
I'll leave the link up there just in case u do wanna check it out, but, yh

It's alright now that we've cleared things up. The likelihood is that the original poster is with AQA (as they're the most popular awarding body for GCSE English), but I still thought it was important because they might not be.

I probably won't be checking the link out as I finished my GCSEs in the summer.
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending