Apple or Android?

What are you opinions?
Especially when it comes to cost...

Scroll to see replies

android
Reply 2
an iphone for 1k is not worth it
Reply 3
Android, it's open source, multiple phone brands support it and syncs everything with your Google Account. iOS is more locked down and is only available on one brand of phone which is over priced for the specs you get.
Good example of android, lg g5, not a very popular brand but it has some very good specs, better than iphone 8 and you can buy used for under 100 pound.
Androids are harder to break. Add expandable storage, sd card.

The only benefit I see from apple is that the value seems to retain quite high, so as long as you keep the phone protected after a few years you can sell for a high price.
I do love the iPhone, but it's getting ridiculously expensive, so I'm going to consider Androids now.
In terms of computers..prefer Windows for gaming and maybe programming, but otherwise I'd say Macs are better - definitely more reliable, longer lasting, etc.
The camera is much better on an iphone but otherwise android phones like Samsung are perfectly fine.
Reply 6
Is that even a question
Android wins for sheer flexibility. In terms of hardware you have have dozens of manufacturers creating hundreds of phones every year, it's very easy to find something that suits you at your preferred price point. Apple's hardware is excellent, but they don't really get to claim the "best at" title in any individual areas anymore- Samsung's flagships have the best screens, the Pixel line have the best cameras, they play leapfrog on the best performance title every six months or so between Snapdragon releases, etc. For software, while Android and iOS offer very similar functionality at their core (both Apple and Google know it's in their best interests to make it as easy as possible for users of the opposing system to switch over), Android is almost infinitely flexible with how you set your phone up to look and behave, with limitless visual customisation options, the ability to download and install apps from websites and other sources, and vibrant modding communities that Google does not discourage or punish. Meanwhile iOS is still the same very rigid user experience inside of Apple's walled garden, buried under the same stagnant UI that has not changed significantly in over a decade now. Seeing the breadth of creative homescreen setups that people come up with for Android and then looking back at a big grid of icons that you're stuck with on iPhones is borderline embarrassing. App selection and app quality is pretty much the same now too. Unless you're deeply invested in Apple's ecosystems, I think there's usually a chance of finding an Android phone that is better suited for anybody.

Original post by skylines4

Seriously, you even have to ask that?
I'm suprised to hear that, I have an older Samsung and my friends with iphones all get much better quality images than me.
Original post by SkylineS4
What are you opinions?

I like iPhones and I’m quite deep in the Apple ecosystem, so don’t really see myself moving. However if I was asked to recommend a phone to someone, I would really struggle to justify how an iPhone X is worth 5 times the price of a decent new Android phone like the Huawei P20.
iPhone. I had a Samsung (S7 Edge) before and I think the user interface is a bit choppy and clunky and apps aren't as polished (admittedly the difference is marginal compared to my iPhone 8 which I have now, but it was enough to make me envy my iPhone friends, but maybe I'm just being fussy) and feels a bit naff compared to iPhones, but that's just my opinion.

It is actually laughable how a lot of Android users act like they're making some sort of political statement against iPhones. They make the argument that Apple is like Hitler and they don't let users customise their phones, download 3rd party apps etc. but realistically unless you're a techie geek (which I'm not, and neither is the average person) who gives a rat's arse about all these gimmicky features?? Most people want a phone that just does the job and feels smooth, fast and elegant - iOS fits that criteria perfectly imo.

Also, I've read somewhere that although on paper, iPhones seem to have lower specs than comparable androids (like RAM, no. of cores etc), they actually are faster and this is because their hardware is well optimised for their software, whereas with Androids you're relying on one company's hardware (e.g. like Samsung or HTC) to work together with another company's software (Android) so twice as much work is needed to deliver the same performance. That should definitely tell you something.

A lot of people keep mentioning the 1k iPhone X or XS. You don't have to buy these phones you know, the XR is £750 which is about what you'd pay for a brand new top of the range phone. You don't even have to get this years phones; iPhone 8 (which I recently got) and the 7 are still perfectly good contenders today. I know plenty of people who get last years iPhones and Samsungs to save money because they knew there's barely anything between this year's range and last years and even the year before!

At the end of the day Apple vs Android is really a case of quality vs quantity. Do you want a high performing albeit basic phone that just cuts the **** with all the gimmicks and just gets on with it or are you someone that likes to play around with your phone at the expense of a (slightly) more polished experience? The thing is consumers are not stupid; iPhones are trendy for a reason - they wouldn't be if they are as bad as Android fans are saying they are.

All that being said, it's really not that deep which phone you go for. If you want an iPhone, get an iPhone. If you want Android phone or Samsungs, get them. They all do the job and you can always switch if you don't like one or the other.
iPhones are good if they are old versions, below the iPhone7. Then they made it look just like android by removing the home button. They also don’t really think if new features. Sure, they put double sims on the new phones but apart from that and Face ID, they have just made it bigger, thinner, better photos, better battery life.

Android however has done that and has done so many other new features like the Samsung foldable phone and what the google pixel 3 has.

Currently I use a iPhone but will switch to android when I need a new phone
I like both but prefer Apple from my own experience. I'm not interested in any of the ridiculously overpriced newer iPhones, though, I've had a 5s for the past two years which has served me well - never had a problem with it and I've dropped it about a million times and it's never been dented, scratched or broken. I think next year I'll look at buying a refurbished iPhone 7 cause I only have a small amount of storage on my current phone and those pop-up messages about it every 5 minutes are annoying. I'll miss the headphone jack though.

I'm really not bothered about anything fancy or the technical extras that come with newer phones, I know I just wouldn't use them, so an older iPhone is fine for me.
(edited 5 years ago)
I mean I'm just speaking from my own anecdotal experience and others could be different, however I've noticed that Android users tend to be more vocal about 'iSheeps' and are a bit like preachy vegans in the sense they try to force their opinion down your throats. In my experience, iPhone users don't feel as passionate as Android users do that their phones are better. (Although when I had a Samsung, I've had my iPhone mates light heartedly take the mick out of the quality of my snaps on snapchat, but that's about it). I had the iPhone 5c before the S7 edge, and when I switched to the latter, my iPhone friends didn't bat an eyelid. However when I got the iPhone 8, most Android people I know literally had their pitchforks and torches out! It was crazy how passionate they were.

Yes I've heard the rather awfully classist argument iPhone users make that Android users are poor and it really annoys me: I don't have a lot of money either, which is exactly the reason why I didn't get the XS. I don't even really have the money for an XR either, so I got a refurbished iPhone 8 for £410 which I could just about afford and even that was quite expensive (I actually think refurbished market is the way to go, but thats a discussion for another thread). But if I had even less to spend, I would have gone for an older gen iPhone.

More people worldwide do have Androids than iPhones, but that's accounting for people in developing countries that won't have a lot of money or privileges that we take for granted. And those people won't have a Samsung S series either - they will have a cheap crappy £150 moto g phone or some sort, not because they think it's better than an iPhone but because it's really their only choice with the money they've got. It's really a case of class/economic divide than choice.
When it comes to the western world, you will find that more people if not just as many have iPhones, but I don't have the statistics, so I could be wrong though I find it hard to believe that significantly more Britons or people from western countries have iPhones than Androids.

I mean it takes two seconds to open the calendar app to look at your daily schedule. But iOS now have widgets so you can put your calendar there, so yeah. Maybe it's not gimmicky to have widgets or customise your phone a little bit to an extent but some people take it a step further and download custom UIs to drastically change the appearance of their phone. And it's always the tech geeks that give a crap about stuff like this to that extent. They also talk about things like custom ROMs (I don't know what that is, but it doesn't sound like something the average user would be interested in) but they don't acknowledge no one except them cares about things like that. I can't think of a single 3rd party app apart from Showbox that people actually use, and it only makes them more vulnerable to viruses too. And like I said earlier, if people aren't looking at Androids for gimmicks, it's because they're short on money, or maybe they prefer the experience of Android - and it's usually Samsungs they prefer. Who in their right mind would switch from an iPhone XS Max to a crappy moto g phone just because of the OS?

I mean yeah okay fair enough I can't argue with that [referring to your thing about hardware/software optimisation].

Like I said initially, I acknowledge that difference in user experience and fluidity, performance etc. are marginally and barely noticeable, but they were noticeable to me and will be to a lot of people. And yeah battery life on iPhones are utter ****e compared to Samsungs I'm not gonna lie, but it's a compromise I'm personally willing to make taking everything else into consideration.

Android phones tend to be of a marginally lower quality to accommodate for flexibility in their software, like you said yourself earlier re hardware optimisation. The quantity of features tend to be a win for a lot of people who want an Android. The cheapness of some devices are a win as well. (Though you can get an older gen iPhone refurbished for cheap).

A lot of people do blindly buy Apple stuff because of the name, I won't deny that. But it's a household name for a reason, not just for the sake of it. On the Android side, people are also guilty of this, because I know a lot of people (including myself) who, if they get an Android, will only the Samsung S series and nothing else, simply because of the name. There are phones like the OnePlus 6 or something that are like £400 and even though they're just as good as Samsungs, even I wouldn't get it on the slim chance I convert back to Android, simply because I am snobbish about the name.
android, best switch of my life. iphone are just pretty and you look cool to have one, thats it
Apple, android phones are ugly
Original post by bubblecat
Apple, android phones are ugly

Excuse me, I own the purple galaxy s9 its gorg >:frown:
Original post by help4exams
I mean I'm just speaking from my own anecdotal experience and others could be different, however I've noticed that Android users tend to be more vocal about 'iSheeps' and are a bit like preachy vegans in the sense they try to force their opinion down your throats. In my experience, iPhone users don't feel as passionate as Android users do that their phones are better. (Although when I had a Samsung, I've had my iPhone mates light heartedly take the mick out of the quality of my snaps on snapchat, but that's about it). I had the iPhone 5c before the S7 edge, and when I switched to the latter, my iPhone friends didn't bat an eyelid. However when I got the iPhone 8, most Android people I know literally had their pitchforks and torches out! It was crazy how passionate they were.

Yes I've heard the rather awfully classist argument iPhone users make that Android users are poor and it really annoys me: I don't have a lot of money either, which is exactly the reason why I didn't get the XS. I don't even really have the money for an XR either, so I got a refurbished iPhone 8 for £410 which I could just about afford and even that was quite expensive (I actually think refurbished market is the way to go, but thats a discussion for another thread). But if I had even less to spend, I would have gone for an older gen iPhone.

More people worldwide do have Androids than iPhones, but that's accounting for people in developing countries that won't have a lot of money or privileges that we take for granted. And those people won't have a Samsung S series either - they will have a cheap crappy £150 moto g phone or some sort, not because they think it's better than an iPhone but because it's really their only choice with the money they've got. It's really a case of class/economic divide than choice.
When it comes to the western world, you will find that more people if not just as many have iPhones, but I don't have the statistics, so I could be wrong though I find it hard to believe that significantly more Britons or people from western countries have iPhones than Androids.

I mean it takes two seconds to open the calendar app to look at your daily schedule. But iOS now have widgets so you can put your calendar there, so yeah. Maybe it's not gimmicky to have widgets or customise your phone a little bit to an extent but some people take it a step further and download custom UIs to drastically change the appearance of their phone. And it's always the tech geeks that give a crap about stuff like this to that extent. They also talk about things like custom ROMs (I don't know what that is, but it doesn't sound like something the average user would be interested in) but they don't acknowledge no one except them cares about things like that. I can't think of a single 3rd party app apart from Showbox that people actually use, and it only makes them more vulnerable to viruses too. And like I said earlier, if people aren't looking at Androids for gimmicks, it's because they're short on money, or maybe they prefer the experience of Android - and it's usually Samsungs they prefer. Who in their right mind would switch from an iPhone XS Max to a crappy moto g phone just because of the OS?

I mean yeah okay fair enough I can't argue with that [referring to your thing about hardware/software optimisation].

Like I said initially, I acknowledge that difference in user experience and fluidity, performance etc. are marginally and barely noticeable, but they were noticeable to me and will be to a lot of people. And yeah battery life on iPhones are utter ****e compared to Samsungs I'm not gonna lie, but it's a compromise I'm personally willing to make taking everything else into consideration.

Android phones tend to be of a marginally lower quality to accommodate for flexibility in their software, like you said yourself earlier re hardware optimisation. The quantity of features tend to be a win for a lot of people who want an Android. The cheapness of some devices are a win as well. (Though you can get an older gen iPhone refurbished for cheap).

A lot of people do blindly buy Apple stuff because of the name, I won't deny that. But it's a household name for a reason, not just for the sake of it. On the Android side, people are also guilty of this, because I know a lot of people (including myself) who, if they get an Android, will only the Samsung S series and nothing else, simply because of the name. There are phones like the OnePlus 6 or something that are like £400 and even though they're just as good as Samsungs, even I wouldn't get it on the slim chance I convert back to Android, simply because I am snobbish about the name.

The whole isheep thing, I agree there are android users like that but I disagree that they are worse than iphone users. All memes regarding phones are always iphone users mocking android users.... and iPhone users always say androids are crap, I haven't come across many android users like that but I know they exist.
Original post by ZombieTheWolf
The whole isheep thing, I agree there are android users like that but I disagree that they are worse than iphone users. All memes regarding phones are always iphone users mocking android users.... and iPhone users always say androids are crap, I haven't come across many android users like that but I know they exist.

i think the difference between them is that many iPhone users i know just make memes and say they love iPhones whereas android users take it as a personal attack and have to start preaching about all the features on the new android phone and how its better than Apple when Apple users couldnt care less lol
Original post by bubblecat
i think the difference between them is that many iPhone users i know just make memes and say they love iPhones whereas android users take it as a personal attack and have to start preaching about all the features on the new android phone and how its better than Apple when Apple users couldnt care less lol

Maybe :tongue: still same thing to me doee

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending