The Student Room Group

Anybody else feel Dr Who isn't as good as it used to be?

I feel that Dr Who was at its best during the classic series 1963 to 1989 with a male Dr Who.

The latest stories have been rubbish. Too politically correct and educational. I also don't like the new lady Dr. Who.

Anyone agree with me?

Scroll to see replies

I don't even think the show fell off because the new doctor is a woman the show became bad as soon as RTD left. It just became weird I remember my whole family used to sit and watch doctor who now it's just cringe. I feel like when a show has run for so long it's hard for the quality to still be consistant.
The majority of young people do not watch television - those on this website would probably never watch actual TV. It's mostly propelled by 'families' consisting of older people with toddlers IMO.

I don't watch Doctor Who really but I used to be an avid fan when I was younger. I mainly stopped watched because it's quality has decreased and there's so much more out there to choose from. The BBC is just ****.

My main gripe is with it's of South in that episode about the Punjab. It's like taking Northern Ireland as stating it's Irish culture - it's going to be problematic with the Irish people you know. Pakistan is Middle Eastern.
I think Jodie is a great actress and is actually making a great doctor, same with Yaz. The writers are new so I think they’re just getting into the role and using a tad too much exposition. I’m excited for the overarching plot but I find the individual episodes ehh (spiders and rosa parks were p good though!)

Don’t think they’re too politically correct at all, just reflective of the current climate and issues the writers wanted to introduce.

When Peter Capaldi first started I was ehh on him and stopped watching, but since he’s been gone I started re-watching/watching his episodes and I was so impressed - I think it’s important not to write someone off too quickly.
This new series of Doctor Who is my favourite so far! I actually love the political correctness of the storylines. Being politically incorrect seems to be something the cool kids like to do these days :tongue:
Reply 5
I'm not a big fan of the fact that the doctor has 3 companions with her, I think it would be so much better with just one
With there being 4 people on the tardis it gives me the vibe of some cringy happy friends for life feeling if you get me
Reply 7
Original post by muthalganesan18
The majority of young people do not watch television - those on this website would probably never watch actual TV. It's mostly propelled by 'families' consisting of older people with toddlers IMO.

I don't watch Doctor Who really but I used to be an avid fan when I was younger. I mainly stopped watched because it's quality has decreased and there's so much more out there to choose from. The BBC is just ****.

My main gripe is with it's of South in that episode about the Punjab. It's like taking Northern Ireland as stating it's Irish culture - it's going to be problematic with the Irish people you know. Pakistan is Middle Eastern.

Pakistan is in South Asia you nutjob.

Source: I am Bangladeshi - formerly East Pakistan, also a South Asian country.

...to think, this is The Student Room, you'd think people are well educated on their geography at least.
Original post by AnharM
Pakistan is in South Asia you nutjob.

Source: I am Bangladeshi - formerly East Pakistan, also a South Asian country.

...to think, this is The Student Room, you'd think people are well educated on their geography at least.

Pakistan is only South Asian because of the British. It's mostly Muslims that care about Pakistan in India so I'm presuming that's why Bangladeshis support them so much. They're not racially N.Indian or S.Indian.
Reply 9
Pakistan is only South Asian because of the British. It's mostly Muslims that care about Pakistan in India so I'm presuming that's why Bangladeshis support them so much. They're not racially N.Indian or S.Indian.

If you knew even the slightest bit of history behind Bangladesh and Pakistan, you wouldn't speak such rubbish. You'd think Doctor Who fans would be far more educated, but I was wrong.

Pakistan is a South Asian country because they're from the South Asian continent, not because of the ****ing British. Pakistan became independent from India, they didn't move to a different continent!
Original post by AnharM
If you knew even the slightest bit of history behind Bangladesh and Pakistan, you wouldn't speak such rubbish. You'd think Doctor Who fans would be far more educated, but I was wrong.

Pakistan is a South Asian country because they're from the South Asian continent, not because of the ****ing British. Pakistan became independent from India, they didn't move to a different continent!

They're not from South Asia just because you say so. Race and genetics provide otherwise. I'd presume a Muslim wouldn't be so educated.
For me, it’s as simple as David Tennant is a God and nobody can meet his standards 👍🏻
They're not from South Asia just because you say so. Race and genetics provide otherwise. I'd presume a Muslim wouldn't be so educated.

Do you not realise that 40% of Pakistanis are Punjabis and Punjabis also exist in large parts of India? Not to mention large numbers of Sindhis and Muhajirs (Indian Muslim migrants to Pakistan during the time of the partition). If Pakistan isn’t racially South Asian (whatever the heck that’s supposed to mean) then much of India isn’t either. I’d understand if you said that Pashtuns or Baloch aren’t really South Asian since they have far more in common with Afghanistan but most Pakistanis would certainly be South Asian.
Original post by akbar0123
Do you not realise that 40% of Pakistanis are Punjabis and Punjabis also exist in large parts of India? Not to mention large numbers of Sindhis and Muhajirs (Indian Muslim migrants to Pakistan during the time of the partition). If Pakistan isn’t racially South Asian (whatever the heck that’s supposed to mean) then much of India isn’t either. I’d understand if you said that Pashtuns or Baloch aren’t really South Asian since they have far more in common with Afghanistan but most Pakistanis would certainly be South Asian.

I had this conversation in another thead. Language does not equate to race. For example, there are black arabs and white turks.
I had this conversation in another thead. Language does not equate to race. For example, there are black arabs and white turks.

I wasn’t talking about language, I was talking about ethnicity. 40% of Pakistanis are Punjabis ethnically. Punjabis, Sindhis, Muhajirs, Pashtuns, Baloch are all ethnicities, not just languages. How can you not know this?
(edited 5 years ago)
I wasn’t talking about language, I was talking about ethnicity. 40% of Pakistanis are Punjabis ethnically. Punjabis, Sindhis, Muhajirs, Pashtuns, Baloch are all ethnicities, not just languages. How can you not know this?

Punjabi is nothing more than an ethnolingustic group. Sinhalese in Sri Lanka can be considered North Indian under your viewpoint.
Punjabi is nothing more than an ethnolingustic group. Sinhalese in Sri Lanka can be considered North Indian under your viewpoint.

Yes, I was saying that Punjabis are an ethnic group that also share a common language with their common ethnic background. And what you still don’t seem to get is that ethnicity is not a clear cut thing pretty much anywhere in India, Pakistan or Bangladesh. No one is fully Punjabi or fully Bengali or fully anything. Everyone is mixed somewhere along the line. There are no pure Sinhalese either. Studies have shown that Sinhalese people mostly have Tamil and also Bengali backgrounds too.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genetic_studies_on_Sinhalese
nah, it's never been any good :biggrin:
Yes, I was saying that Punjabis are an ethnic group that also share a common language with their common ethnic background. And what you still don’t seem to get is that ethnicity is not a clear cut thing pretty much anywhere in India, Pakistan or Bangladesh. No one is fully Punjabi or fully Bengali or fully anything. Everyone is mixed somewhere along the line. There are no pure Sinhalese either. Studies have shown that Sinhalese people mostly have Tamil and also Bengali backgrounds too.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genetic_studies_on_Sinhalese

Punjabis in Pakistan are mostly racially not South Asian and they share a lot of cultural similarities with Middle Easterners. Note that most of wikipedia is politically biased on South Asia.
there's always something that annoys me about a few of the episodes so far. Some of them the character dynamics just feel wrong, others the story doesn't seem to flow, maybe the ending feels cut off, heck in the recent episode the CGI was beyond terrible on the conveyor scene

Quick Reply

Latest