The Student Room Group

Why do minorities use self-depreciating terms ?

Between/to themselves. For example, black people using the “n-word” amongst each other, to each other-we hear this alllll the time. Weather it’s in a “friendly” way or a nasty way. I was in school today and these two Pakistani boys sat behind me used the word “p*ki” when speaking about something, clearly they were just joking around among each other, but it still annoyed me. I’m White English and turned around to ask them how they would react if a non-Pakistani said that word, (one of the guys girlfriend is white so I used her as an example) and they both said that they wouldn’t give a **** unless it was used in a derogatory way. I hate these words, such as “p*ki” n***er” “chink” they have horrible stories.

If you belong to one of these groups, what do you think of these words? If you don’t, do you feel uncomfortable when they are used around you ? I do, but I don’t know why?? Especially the n-word

Scroll to see replies

Tbh I don’t get offended if some calls me a n**ga. The reason(I think) black people use it among themselves is because they can relate to each other. Same with Pakistanis and Chinese etc.
"depreciating"? They're not vehicles.

You mean self deprecating. You wallet.
Reply 3
Original post by Bang Outta Order
"depreciating"? They're not vehicles.

You mean self deprecating. You wallet.

Oops. Took me a while to find the difference in your post deprecATing, not deprecIATing, got it. Idk how to change it
Reply 4
Original post by Blackpanther93
Tbh I don’t get offended if some calls me a n**ga. The reason(I think) black people use it among themselves is because they can relate to each other. Same with Pakistanis and Chinese etc.

What do you mean by relate to each other? In what ways?
Original post by Megxn0
Oops. Took me a while to find the difference in your post deprecATing, not deprecIATing, got it. Idk how to change it

:yy:

wait what...?

I dont see chinese people calling each other "yo whats up jackie chan? my chinky fellow." then again I dont speak to many Asians. Is there something insulting that they do call each other...?

and what do you mean "etc"? What other races reference and greet each other racially...? I dont call another white person, "hey my fellow vampire" or whatever anti-white terms there are.
(edited 5 years ago)
@UWS do chinese people call each other rude racist things casually and call it love??
Reply 7
i mean, personally if a white person called me a paki i would know they mean if in a racist way, no matter if they say its a joke or not, it’s the history of the word and how white suprematist right wing groups used it to demean south asians, however if another south asian said it to me i would be able to tell that it’s not in an offensive way because they have to experience the same, it’s called RECLAIMING a word, white pope have no right to say it bc of how they misuse it and the minority can. however a south asian CANNOT call a black person the n word and a black person cannot call me paki because it is offensjveand we don’t have a link to the word. hope this helps.
Reply 8
oh god the typos in this! i hope u can still understand lol
Reply 9
also u have no right to be offended because white people created these disguting words so ???
I'm south asian. A lot of us say it to each other and we can instantly tell it's a joke but it does get serious when a non-south asian, especially white, use it against us.
Original post by Lemonadez
I'm south asian. A lot of us say it to each other and we can instantly tell it's a joke but it does get serious when a non-south asian, especially white, use it against us.

say what to each other??
wait what...?

I dont see chinese people calling each other "yo whats up jackie chan? my chinky fellow." then again I dont speak to many Asians. Is there something insulting that they do call each other...?

and what do you mean "etc"? What other races reference and greet each other racially...? I dont call another white person, "hey my fellow vampire" or whatever anti-white terms there are.

A Chinese guys Snapchat user-name is literally “your fave chink” or something like that. In school I heard this phrase a lot tbh

Edit: couldn’t think of more “offensive” words ‘minorities’ use, which is why I put etc.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by ZOHRAAAAAAA
i mean, personally if a white person called me a paki i would know they mean if in a racist way

i say it in a not racist way. sometimes i just dont feel like finishing the word :nothing:
Because they can.

Does seem strange to me that one minute people are crying racism and the next are calling their mates by a racist term. The best way to stamp it out is to not use it yourself.
In school I heard this phrase a lot tbh

you hear it a lot? so you go to school with a lot of chinese people? :nothing:

and i wont even consider discussing the snapchat thing that i clipped out your post, because social media apps are full of wet attention seekers.
(edited 5 years ago)
It's self- deprecating you melon. Depreciating is when an object loses value.
you hear it a lot? so you go to school with a lot of chinese people? :nothing:

and i wont even consider discussing the snapchat thing that i clipped out your post, because social media apps are full of wet attention seekers.

I live in London, there were a lot of Chinese people at my school, yes. Fair enough, it was just an example
i say it in a not racist way. sometimes i just dont feel like finishing the word :nothing:

well it’s offensive, especially since u know the connotations
Original post by ZOHRAAAAAAA
well it’s offensive, especially since u know the connotations

i dont know them actually. tell me what they are...lets help each other learn lol.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending