The Student Room Group

Need help with buying a laptop.

I really need a new laptop. I'm hopefully going to uni to study civil engineering so it needs to be half decent. I have a decent budget of £750, but don't really know what's decent specs for that price.
If anyone could help that Would be great.
Also, 2-in-1s and surface pro things, they any good?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I've got a Dell Inspiron 13 7000 series 7553 i5. It would probably be £780-ish, but keep your eye out for black friday deals... Anyways, it's a fantastic laptop, and is speedy. The build quality is superb too and it also is quite light (tho not as light as a macbook)... It is also convertible and has a nice touch screen. Battery life, however, is a bit of a shame as it hardly lasts 4 hours normal use. Other than that, a pretty good laptop for the price. IMO
Reply 2
Original post by Daybd
I've got a Dell Inspiron 13 7000 series 7553 i5. It would probably be £780-ish, but keep your eye out for black friday deals... Anyways, it's a fantastic laptop, and is speedy. The build quality is superb too and it also is quite light (tho not as light as a macbook)... It is also convertible and has a nice touch screen. Battery life, however, is a bit of a shame as it hardly lasts 4 hours normal use. Other than that, a pretty good laptop for the price. IMO

Thanks for replying. So even if I don't get the exact same model, you'd recommend Dell laptops?
Reply 3
Original post by SleepyD69
Thanks for replying. So even if I don't get the exact same model, you'd recommend Dell laptops?

For a Window's laptop, I would most certainly recommend Dell. Their laptops give you the bang for the buck. There's some more affordable options from Acer and some other companies but they're not durable.
Reply 4
If you’re budget is £750 consider getting a tower, if you need a laptop I would suggest specs such as intel core i5 4690k as the processor, the graphics card should be possibly a nvidia gtx 960 or less if you’re not looking for a powerful laptop, with 8gb ddr4 ram but if you’re gaming get 16gb ddr4 ram. If I were you get some headphones and a wireless keyboard and mouse for class as it might be easier to type on, your choice.
Reply 5
Also, the two in one laptop and tablet devices are good, however do cost a lot of money, and may not be too fast depending on if it’s a newer model, also make sure you get windows 10
similar situation, budget:£400
Reply 7
Original post by Rolls_Reus_0wner
similar situation, budget:£400

Have a look on google, type in laptops £400. Check on overclockers uk
Original post by Rxven
Have a look on google, type in laptops £400. Check on overclockers uk

cheers
Don't mind getting 4gb, will upgrade ram later
Just going to say- I can't help on the spec side, but I have a similar budget for my laptop search and my plan is to wait until the January sales. Might be worth it if you can't find any good deals over the 'Black Friday' craziness.
Original post by SpangleMagnet
Just going to say- I can't help on the spec side, but I have a similar budget for my laptop search and my plan is to wait until the January sales. Might be worth it if you can't find any good deals over the 'Black Friday' craziness.

True. I have a 1 or 2 laptops i could buy
Original post by Rolls_Reus_0wner
True. I have a 1 or 2 laptops i could buy

Going into things with a mental shopping list is a good plan. I'm literally going to write down my absolute basic needs and go from there as I am clueless in other aspects!
Original post by SpangleMagnet
Going into things with a mental shopping list is a good plan. I'm literally going to write down my absolute basic needs and go from there as I am clueless in other aspects!

I'm going to some computer shops which sell new laptops amd see if I can get a hood price
Good luck in your search!
Fair enough. Wht about £500?
What could I get for exactly 500?
Should be ok for a Mechanical Engineering student right?
Shop around and try and find the best laptop with the best specs for your price. Make a list of features that you would like e.g lightweight, convertible, touch screen etc. and filter your search accordingly. I would avoid Currys pc world as they tend to overcharge as they essentially have a monopoly of the market so they charge what they want lol. I would definitely recommend using lesser known websites and eBay and Amazon, always check the trust pilot ratings though for these sites. In my experience it's really good to have a lightweight and slim laptop so it can fit easily in your bag and you can carry it around. I've had heavy laptops before and they're a pain.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending