The Student Room Group

Mentally exhausted

I just cannot revise when i come back from school I'm absolutely drained. I tried waking up early in the morning but i just cannot get out of bed. In school I'm motivated but by the time i get home after switching two buses I'm drained .

Scroll to see replies

Check if you're sleeping enough, check if you're in shape, check if you eat healthy.

Do you feel demotivated? Or just tired?

Is there nothing you want to do when you get home, have you no hobbies?
Same
When I did my GCSEs I swear I felt the same, came home, told myself I'll rest for a bit and before you know it it was 9, and I couldn't help it because just like you I was exhausted, I have no real advice for you because this problem stayed with me for a long time until I finished my GCSEs, it's tough
Reply 4
Original post by Oneiropólos
When I did my GCSEs I swear I felt the same, came home, told myself I'll rest for a bit and before you know it it was 9, and I couldn't help it because just like you I was exhausted, I have no real advice for you because this problem stayed with me for a long time until I finished my GCSEs, it's tough

Im in a levels not GCSE but feel exactly the same 😬
Reply 5
Original post by username121212
Check if you're sleeping enough, check if you're in shape, check if you eat healthy.

Do you feel demotivated? Or just tired?

Is there nothing you want to do when you get home, have you no hobbies?

I have not been sleeping properly. Because i don't work after school I try waking up early in the night for revise but never feel motivated enough to wake up and keep hitting snooze. So end up with 8 hours of majorly disrupted sleep after 4 hours of sleep.

I watch all these motivating videos on YouTube that says sleep is for the week and then i just feel like crap when i sleep for more than 7 hours
Do you have to take 2 busses straight after school? If you are motivated at school only I suggest getting a friend and sitting down, doing all your homework for an hour or so and motivate each other. If you are wondering whether that would work, it would if you say look, we will study for x minutes then take a little break to talk and then get back to it. You can also discuss difficult topics etc. Then you can go to school a bit earlier too and spend even 30 minutes in the morning finishing up on things. So when you get home in the afternoon/evening, at least you got SOME work done and you will feel better
Reply 7
Original post by ZombieTheWolf
Same

gasp :smile: it's a constant mood
Original post by Anonymous
gasp :smile: it's a constant mood

Honestly I know it is cause of sleep, I have such poor sleep so I am going to the doctor about it to try and fix it. It isn't insomnia, or even cause of anxiety, I just can't fall asleep unless I am bored of being on my phone? I have an addiction to it
I have not been sleeping properly. Because i don't work after school I try waking up early in the night for revise but never feel motivated enough to wake up and keep hitting snooze. So end up with 8 hours of majorly disrupted sleep after 4 hours of sleep.

I watch all these motivating videos on YouTube that says sleep is for the week and then i just feel like crap when i sleep for more than 7 hours

I strongly believe sleep is relative, I sleep about 4-6 hours and I am usually fine (although I notice that I have a lack of energy it does not bother me as I don't need that extra energy) however I know people who would die if they slept that ammount and people who sleep the same or sometimes less and have a lot more energy than I do.

It seems like you're trapped in a vicious circle where the solution you've found to your problem is only making it worse forming a loop. Stop trying to wake up early and focus on resting well, also try and find new activities you enjoy that will make you excited to be home, pick up an intrument play a videogame study something you like, workout, practice magic tricks anything as long it you want to come home and do it.

Also don't forget to go outside with your friends and hang out with the people you care about often, what you're describing is often a symptom of depression which is something you definitely want to avoid.

Best of luck
Original post by Linalolo
Do you have to take 2 busses straight after school? If you are motivated at school only I suggest getting a friend and sitting down, doing all your homework for an hour or so and motivate each other. If you are wondering whether that would work, it would if you say look, we will study for x minutes then take a little break to talk and then get back to it. You can also discuss difficult topics etc. Then you can go to school a bit earlier too and spend even 30 minutes in the morning finishing up on things. So when you get home in the afternoon/evening, at least you got SOME work done and you will feel better

I used to do that but after the clocks went back and now that it is winter it gets so dark when I come home and if i left even later it would be pitch black .
I just cannot revise when i come back from school I'm absolutely drained. I tried waking up early in the morning but i just cannot get out of bed. In school I'm motivated but by the time i get home after switching two buses I'm drained .

Is there an option for you to do some work on the bus?

I deal with fatigue as part of my life, and find that it's about finding small moments to get stuff done, rather than aiming for hours and hours of productivity. If you can listen to educational podcasts, read over notes, aim to do 20 minutes when you get home each day etc. all of these little things add up. :smile:
Honestly I know it is cause of sleep, I have such poor sleep so I am going to the doctor about it to try and fix it. It isn't insomnia, or even cause of anxiety, I just can't fall asleep unless I am bored of being on my phone? I have an addiction to it

Have you tried going to sleep and waking up at the same time each day? Generally if you stick to a 8 hours sleep, 16 hours awake (the 16 hours awake part is important as it means you're tired enough get to sleep!) it becomes easier. :smile:
Original post by username121212
I strongly believe sleep is relative, I sleep about 4-6 hours and I am usually fine (although I notice that I have a lack of energy it does not bother me as I don't need that extra energy) however I know people who would die if they slept that ammount and people who sleep the same or sometimes less and have a lot more energy than I do.

It seems like you're trapped in a vicious circle where the solution you've found to your problem is only making it worse forming a loop. Stop trying to wake up early and focus on resting well, also try and find new activities you enjoy that will make you excited to be home, pick up an intrument play a videogame study something you like, workout, practice magic tricks anything as long it you want to come home and do it.

Also don't forget to go outside with your friends and hang out with the people you care about often, what you're describing is often a symptom of depression which is something you definitely want to avoid.

Best of luck

I do have many extracurricular interests however i feel bad when doing anything but studying because i know I'm so behind. So it's a constant I can't study but i should be studying.
I think it's my home environment as well so i am going to try go to the library on the weekend and see if i can get any work done there
Thanks for the help :smile:
I used to do that but after the clocks went back and now that it is winter it gets so dark when I come home and if i left even later it would be pitch black .

I find it awkward to revise on the bus as it is usually jam packed and i don't want to disturb the person sat next to me. I will try the pomodoro technique and try wake up 1 your before school and be productive rather then 4 hours before and do nothing.
:smile:
I do have many extracurricular interests however i feel bad when doing anything but studying because i know I'm so behind. So it's a constant I can't study but i should be studying.
I think it's my home environment as well so i am going to try go to the library on the weekend and see if i can get any work done there
Thanks for the help :smile:

No worries hope everything works out fine!

My phone is definitely a problem to the point where i want to break it because I'm constantly on it so much comparing myself to everyone else :smile:

Hi,

I had this at school and I sometimes feel like this at uni!

I made sure I had a break between school and doing revision. During this time definitely have a snack, big glass of water and get changed when you get home as it often feels quite refreshing and can give you more energy. I also find going to the gym before uni gives me more energy so maybe you could try doing some star jumps or some quick easy exercises for a few mins to raise energy levels before you start to work. The workspace I use also makes a huge difference to how well I work- if I work in bed or on a sofa I'm going to feel more tired as it's so comfy! You probably already do this but working at a desk is so much better as it's less comfy (and less sleep inducing).

Also make sure you're getting enough sleep at night! When I was in school I never worked beyond 9:30pm so I always had time to unwind and get a good night's sleep. This meant that I was able to efficiently get work done in the evenings without getting too drained.

Hope this helps!

Lucy
Original post by FloralHybrid
Have you tried going to sleep and waking up at the same time each day? Generally if you stick to a 8 hours sleep, 16 hours awake (the 16 hours awake part is important as it means you're tired enough get to sleep!) it becomes easier. :smile:

Well the issue lies in the fact that I tell myself I will do these things, but when it comes to it I never do nor want to :P it really sucks. But thank you for the info, if I ever feel motivated enough I will do that! I does sound like it would work too

Sleep is not for the weak. It’s for the functioning. Your a teenager so based on neurological research in order for your brain to make the neuronal connections it needs in order to take in knew information and strengthen old information through myelination ( revision) you need around 9 1/4 hours of sleep. But specific I know and it varies by individuals but that’s the science. If you feel drained your first port of call should be to try and get the right amount of sleep. Either go to bed earlier or if your not an early bird ( like me) then get up later.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending