The Student Room Group

Hong Kong Non Jupas 2019 Applicants

Hi everyone.

I was looking for a thread for non jupas applicants 2019 but I couldn't find it. So here is it. :smile:

Welcome everyone to comment on your experience/ views.

PS I am doing CIE Alevel currently.

Here are some questions to start with:

Which universities are you applying to in Hong Kong?

What course(s) are you applying for?

What are your predicted grades/achieved grades and in which subjects?

Have you taken the English qualifications exam (i.e. IELTS/TOEFL) and what's your score?

Why Hong Kong?

Other university choices in other countries?

Deadlines for application:

HKU
Main round deadline: November 20, 2018
Late round deadline: July 15, 2019

HKUST
Early round deadline: November 15, 2018
Main round deadline: January 7, 2019

CUHK
Advance offer deadline: November 15, 2018
Regular round deadline: January 3, 2019

CityU
Regular round deadline : January 3, 2019

PolyU
Regular round deadline: January 3, 2019

Goodluck guys. :biggrin:

(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Anyone know when HKU/CUHK will be giving out offers?
Any tips for interviews?
Are there any major disadvantages for applying during the main round application (for other HK unis asides from HKU) as I've missed their early 15th of November deadline.
Original post by beautifvlchaos
Are there any major disadvantages for applying during the main round application (for other HK unis asides from HKU) as I've missed their early 15th of November deadline.

found this online "If you apply during main round and your academics meet their (first round) requirement, they’ll give you the conditional offer earlier. If you don't meet their first round academic requirement, then your application will be placed in the main round.
Offers are given in rolling basis, that’s why applying early is a benefit. However, you also need to pay your deposit earlier if you get your offer during the early round."
Original post by warmpancakes
found this online "If you apply during main round and your academics meet their (first round) requirement, they’ll give you the conditional offer earlier. If you don't meet their first round academic requirement, then your application will be placed in the main round.
Offers are given in rolling basis, that’s why applying early is a benefit. However, you also need to pay your deposit earlier if you get your offer during the early round."

I see, thanks for the reply! Bummed that I procrastinated on the application and the deadline was in the middle of a very major exam :'( What course are you applying for?
Original post by yolselenator
I'm applying to both CUHK and HKU but my dream is to get into HKU's Faculty of Arts but my A Level predicted grades are AAB. Would my chances be relatively low considering that it is such a highly competitive school?

Why dont u check out the grade requirements on their website but even if u meet them i guess it also depends on the strength of your application compared to others who applied for that same course
I see, thanks for the reply! Bummed that I procrastinated on the application and the deadline was in the middle of a very major exam :'( What course are you applying for?

I really really hope to get in for Actuarial Science as I want to become an actuary but i know it'll be really hard, what about you?
Anyone know when HKU/CUHK will be giving out offers?

I applied in the late round and got my offer in March. but they do it on rolling basis, so if it is your first choice, the earlier you apply, the better it is. If it is not your preferred choice, then you would have to pay a deposit to secure your seat and you might not have heard back from other unis. Regardless, suggest you to apply early.

Any tips for interviews?

Do the regular prep. they ask pretty mainstream questions. why this school, why this course, what you want to do after, what you want to do during the course at uni, how do you feel about living at hall, cultural immersion and such.

advice would be to seem excited to study in hong kong and how you are ready for a different culture. also highlight multiple societies (not SU) that you would like to join. SU is pretty undemocratic and non-canto ppl are not taken in the ex-co. and if they ask about hall culture, seem excited to experience and emphasize how you would join multiple societies in the hall.

I'm applying to both CUHK and HKU but my dream is to get into HKU's Faculty of Arts but my A Level predicted grades are AAB. Would my chances be relatively low considering that it is such a highly competitive school?

Better chances for non-jupas. it is most competitive for mainlanders. also faculty of arts is more lenient than their other faculties. not saying that it would be a shoo in but you can get conditional so apply and keep your hopes up! May I ask what country's passport you have?

I really really hope to get in for Actuarial Science as I want to become an actuary but i know it'll be really hard, what about you?

Actuarial is indeed quite competitive. Your math grades ought to be superb. your predicted grades as well.
but admission is nothing compared to the actual course. it is going to be tough 4 years for you. Good luck!
experienced hku graduate here. feel free to ask any questions!

I'm looking to do engineering ahhhhh. I hope you get your first choice, all the best!!
Original post by batter mix
experienced hku graduate here. feel free to ask any questions!

Hello, may I know what course did you do? I'm hoping to do engineering myself and I'm really curious as to what owns a significant weightage in a candidate's admission (grades/co-curriculars/personal statement etc). I also find it rather difficult to structure my personal statement as HKU allows us the selection of five courses (Bound to get some odd combinations mixed in there...), do you think it'd hurt my chances if I focused in depth on engineering (literally every paragraph is related to engineering in one way or another, with mathematics and physics thrown into it as I'm also applying to the science department but alas I discussed them in engineering context)
Hello, may I know what course did you do? I'm hoping to do engineering myself and I'm really curious as to what owns a significant weightage in a candidate's admission (grades/co-curriculars/personal statement etc). I also find it rather difficult to structure my personal statement as HKU allows us the selection of five courses (Bound to get some odd combinations mixed in there...), do you think it'd hurt my chances if I focused in depth on engineering (literally every paragraph is related to engineering in one way or another, with mathematics and physics thrown into it as I'm also applying to the science department but alas I discussed them in engineering context)

I was in business faculty. In general, your grades matter the most then your curriculars and then your personal statement.

It should be completely alright to focus on engineering if it's your first choice. Unlike schools in UK, since HKU is four years, the first year is pretty much same for everyone in one faculty. so if you are applying to only one faculty, it shouldn't be a problem. Once you get in, you can pursue pretty much any major in that faculty.

But since you are applying to two, focus on engineering and it is evident that you would do well in science as well. Like I said, they don't care much for content. If your writing style is good, grades are SUPER, and you have done something other than academics, it shouldn't be that hard. Good luck!
I was in business faculty. In general, your grades matter the most then your curriculars and then your personal statement.

It should be completely alright to focus on engineering if it's your first choice. Unlike schools in UK, since HKU is four years, the first year is pretty much same for everyone in one faculty. so if you are applying to only one faculty, it shouldn't be a problem. Once you get in, you can pursue pretty much any major in that faculty.

But since you are applying to two, focus on engineering and it is evident that you would do well in science as well. Like I said, they don't care much for content. If your writing style is good, grades are SUPER, and you have done something other than academics, it shouldn't be that hard. Good luck!

Thanks for the reply, very reassuring to hear so! Just submitted everything yesterday, now it's just a long waiting game. How did you find HKU's environment? As in academically or socially.
+1 Re. environment - Please detail academic views, social views, and religious views (i.e. HK is a highly superstitious Buddhist and Taoist place)
I will actually be applying as a non-jupas student as I have a Hong Kong passport.

Then you would just be competing with kids with HKDSE. Do well in your A-levels and stress your international background A LOT. They consider that important. Good luck!
Thanks for the reply, very reassuring to hear so! Just submitted everything yesterday, now it's just a long waiting game. How did you find HKU's environment? As in academically or socially.

Original post by adelphos
+1 Re. environment - Please detail academic views, social views, and religious views (i.e. HK is a highly superstitious Buddhist and Taoist place)

Academically, I'll be honest, it is very rigorous, especially math courses. Most courses are graded on a curve, so just make sure to work hard from the beginning. Tutors are dedicated and after studying in 4 universities across 3 continents, I can assure you that HKU really stresses academics and there is high competition. People start camping out in the library from the first week 😑 not to scare you or anything, just that you will have to work hard for good GPA for masters.

Socially, tons of societies and clubs for you to join. of course HK itself is a great city to be in, be it culture, shopping, food, clubbing. Legal age is 18 so enjoy that. also, tons of business fairs and corporate events and the uni sends you daily mails for internships to bulk up your CVs. all in all, great opportunities if you take them up for it.

Religious views, don't worry about it. nothing of sorts. simply stereotypes. no one cares about that.

On the other hand, people have strong political views. (it could also be that politics was my minor). Young hongkongers feel strongly about their political standing and HK's standing. as well as politics in uni itself, especially related to SU. It doesn't cause any inconvenience whatsoever but you can enjoy that too if you wish.

Some extras - Extremely safe city to be in. You can walk around by yourself at 3 at night and no one is gonna bother you.
Objectively, perhaps the best commute system in the world. You wont believe the convenience and comfort of public transport.
Some really, really great hiking and running trails. As a runner, I was especially happy about that.
and of course, financial hub with awesome opportunities and great connection with other South-Asian countries. Go for a weekend, to Vietnam, Korea, Thailand, Japan and multiple other destinations. All in all, you will love the city :smile:

and lastly, if you havent got a chance to visit the uni, facilities are great too!
Reply 17

Hi,

I am going to apply Accountancy as first choice then BBA, should I focus my personal statement more on Accountancy or should I include both of them?

Any extra things I should include besides why I want to study in Hong Kong and why I want to choose the subject?
Reply 18
Hey everyone, wanted to know a bit about the student profile at HKU vs HKUST vs CUHK. How international (in the sense - what percentage is international) is each one? Are the Hong Kong locals friendly to internationals? What about mainlanders to internationals? Is language a problem, both in university and in HK in general?
Academically, I'll be honest, it is very rigorous, especially math courses. Most courses are graded on a curve, so just make sure to work hard from the beginning. Tutors are dedicated and after studying in 4 universities across 3 continents, I can assure you that HKU really stresses academics and there is high competition. People start camping out in the library from the first week 😑 not to scare you or anything, just that you will have to work hard for good GPA for masters.

Socially, tons of societies and clubs for you to join. of course HK itself is a great city to be in, be it culture, shopping, food, clubbing. Legal age is 18 so enjoy that. also, tons of business fairs and corporate events and the uni sends you daily mails for internships to bulk up your CVs. all in all, great opportunities if you take them up for it.

Religious views, don't worry about it. nothing of sorts. simply stereotypes. no one cares about that.

On the other hand, people have strong political views. (it could also be that politics was my minor). Young hongkongers feel strongly about their political standing and HK's standing. as well as politics in uni itself, especially related to SU. It doesn't cause any inconvenience whatsoever but you can enjoy that too if you wish.

Some extras - Extremely safe city to be in. You can walk around by yourself at 3 at night and no one is gonna bother you.
Objectively, perhaps the best commute system in the world. You wont believe the convenience and comfort of public transport.
Some really, really great hiking and running trails. As a runner, I was especially happy about that.
and of course, financial hub with awesome opportunities and great connection with other South-Asian countries. Go for a weekend, to Vietnam, Korea, Thailand, Japan and multiple other destinations. All in all, you will love the city :smile:

and lastly, if you havent got a chance to visit the uni, facilities are great too!

Thank you so much for the detailed response, I've never thought of other aspects that would've added to the whole uni experience so thanks for that. It sounds like a very busy/happening place, which I prefer to some extent.

Latest

Trending

Trending