The Student Room Group

TFL 16+ oyster scam

Hi guys,

one of my mate has been caught with 16+ oyster card he is 21 years old but looks 17 or 18 but still using the 16+ oyster card. basically he met a guy online and paid him to make this oyster card . unfortunately today he got caught and inspector took his details and said TFL will be in touch.
I am wondering will he get a fine?
or prosecuted to court and get a criminal record?
if that so a criminal record will destroy his and career.
he is guilty now but any help will be helpful .

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Abdullah66
Hi guys,

one of my mate has been caught with 16+ oyster card he is 21 years old but looks 17 or 18 but still using the 16+ oyster card. basically he met a guy online and paid him to make this oyster card . unfortunately today he got caught and inspector took his details and said TFL will be in touch.

Most likely a fine I suspect, it shouldn't affect his career though.
Reply 2
Original post by Rock Fan
Most likely a fine I suspect, it shouldn't affect his career though.

Thanks for replying he got letter saying he have to explain the incident. i hope he only get fine.
How did he get caught?
Reply 4
Original post by Abdullah66
Hi guys,

Your friend is stupid.

If he had a fake ticket/oyster and an inspector comes round he should NOT show it to him. I have heard of people getting prosecuted for having fake tickets before [it's fraud]. He would be better off just saying he has no ticket/Oyster and accepting the fine ...or refusing to give his details and running away from the inspector.

You can get away with running away unless there are police with the inspector.
Inspectors do not chase after you. Police WILL.
(edited 5 years ago)
What happened to him in the end mate?

Fine + criminal record?
Or just had to pay fine?
Original post by Andrew97
Firing squad

Stop 😂
I have a 16+ like that but it stopped working saying card stopped so I think ive been clocked and im ******** myself ffs I burned the card but I'm scared imma get a 1k fine:frown:(((
Original post by Anonymous
I have a 16+ like that but it stopped working saying card stopped so I think ive been clocked and im ******** myself ffs I burned the card but I'm scared imma get a 1k fine:frown:(((

I am in the same position as well. My 16+ Oyster card stopped working this morning when I got on the bus, on the card reader it says card stopped working. what shall I do?
'asking for a friend'
Original post by Bill Nye
'asking for a friend'

Did the same thing happen to you or your friend?
Firing squad

Ahahaha definitely
Reply 13
is there any update on what happened? did you friend get prosecuted or just a fine?
Firing squad

hehe, like that Brazilian backpacker on the underground.
(edited 5 years ago)
has anything happened to your friend yet
Reply 16
Did you purchase an 18 oyster before you had the 16 ?
Can you please tell us what happened? What consequences did you face as I’m in the same boat
Reply 18
hey any updates? did it just stopped working or did you get fined? my friends one stopped working today and she’s freaking out
apparently some people say that no one is getting fined and that its just a lie
Reply 19
Each YEAR TFL (Transport for London) make massive profits on mistakes they make, but which we pay for, and are not refunded to us.

For example touch-out gates at stations being out of service, because by default the company take the maximum zone 1-6 fare from you, even if you got off at a zone 4 station.

The process of getting your money refunded can be a nightmare, which means less people are likely to take the time to reclaim refunds.

There are newspaper articles on the huge amount the company is enjoying because the system is geared towards their profits, rather than fairness to us.

So whatever you can get away with, please do it for us.
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending