The Student Room Group

Do barcodes trigger alarms ? I notice some shops have only barcodes on it's items

I have been in many different stores which have those security alarm gates at the entrance but I found that every single item only has a barcode and no other tags apart from a barcode . I was in a store today which was just clothes liie t shirts and thin jackets , all of which only had barcodes printed on them. this said store has an alarm gate at it's entrance. Is it possible that barcodes cause the alarm gates to ring out when taken out the store without being scanned ? if not what is the reason for the said alarm gates ? thanks
Reply 1
Original post by HeavenBound
I have been in many different stores which have those security alarm gates at the entrance but I found that every single item only has a barcode and no other tags apart from a barcode . I was in a store today which was just clothes liie t shirts and thin jackets , all of which only had barcodes printed on them. this said store has an alarm gate at it's entrance. Is it possible that barcodes cause the alarm gates to ring out when taken out the store without being scanned ? if not what is the reason for the said alarm gates ? thanks

http://www.explainthatstuff.com/rfid.html
Also, I'm sure you are just curious but if I were you I'd be careful asking this sort of thing because it could come across as if you are looking to go shoplifting. There will always be real security measures.
The barcodes are all linked to a big system which states how many of those items there are. That system updates when someone pays for an item.

The alarms also have a small scanner built into them that detects the bar codes and it can recognize if an item has been paid for or not
Reply 3
How the hell can barcodes trigger alarms. Security tags are different.

Either way, don't steal, they'll catch you eventually on CCTV and you will go to jail eventually if you don't stop
Reply 5

haha, nope I am not a shoplifter but I am the person who created thread ! lol
Reply 6
Original post by HeavenBound

It's not the barcode that does it - it's the invisible chip inside the barcode sticker (and/or located elsewhere in the product).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radio-frequency_identification
Only the slightly thick magnetic barcodes/strip on items / tags on clothes trigger alarms.
Most don't; it'd be too expensive to put a thing on every single item, or it'd slow down the queue too much I guess, therefore missing out on profits. They only seem to do it on expensive items people are likely to steal, I guess.
Reply 8
Original post by Rorschach II
Only the slightly thick magnetic barcodes/strip on items / tags on clothes trigger alarms.
Most don't; it'd be too expensive to put a thing on every single item, or it'd slow down the queue too much I guess, therefore missing out on profits. They only seem to do it on expensive items people are likely to steal, I guess.

How does it slow down the queue? Answer: it doesn't.

You will find most retailers are aiming for (or have achieved) 100% RFID for clothing.

eg http://www.retailtechnology.co.uk/news/5115/accurate-inventory-tracking-benefits-ms/
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by jneill
How does it slow down the queue? Answer: it doesn't.

You will most retailers are aiming for (or have achieved) 100% RFID for clothing.

eg http://www.retailtechnology.co.uk/news/5115/accurate-inventory-tracking-benefits-ms/

It was only a guess. :tongue:

There is plenty of clothing that have no tags in my anecdotal experiences.
How many ****ing threads about barcodes are you going to make?
I don't think just a barcode would or could set off those security gates. I think it's probably better you think they keep you from stealing because it sounds like you are trying to think of a way to steal without getting caught.
I purchased two pair of jeans for one of my son's. Got home with both security tags on them.At 4:30 p..m. I wasn't going back.I don't know which was worse, convincing my son I DID NOT steal them or having to bring back to the mall store with receiptI'm wondering why neither tag activated the alarm?
Reply 13
Original post by Dee Dom.
I purchased two pair of jeans for one of my son's. Got home with both security tags on them.At 4:30 p..m. I wasn't going back.I don't know which was worse, convincing my son I DID NOT steal them or having to bring back to the mall store with receiptI'm wondering why neither tag activated the alarm?

Just go back to the store with the receipt - they will remove the tags.

This is an old thread and is now closed :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending