The Student Room Group

whats ucas?

how does it work and is it just a british thing or do other universities (in canada specifically) care about ucas points when considering applications?

edit: SORRY I DIDN'T MAKE IT CLEAR
i'm a canadian national but i'm doing my a levels in another country so i have no idea what the application process for canada is actually like.
and yes i'm a she😂
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by ridaa.xx
how does it work and is it just a british thing or do other universities (in canada specifically) care about ucas points when considering applications?

its just a central application system for the uk so it isn't used in canada.
The Universities and Colleges Admissions Service is a UK-based organisation whose main role is to operate the application process for British universities.

To apply to university, students must submit a single application via UCAS' online Apply service. The application itself requires the student to register to the service, giving a buzzword if applying through a centre, fill in personal details, write a personal statement and choose up to five courses to apply to, in no order of preference. They must then pay an application fee and obtain a reference before submitting their application online by the appropriate deadline. The application is then forwarded by UCAS to the universities and colleges that the students have applied to, who then decide whether to make students an offer of a place. Universities give students either an unconditional offer, where the student will receive a place regardless, or a conditional offer, where the student will receive a place subject to their grades being met.

For applications to universities in the UK, entry requirements for individual courses can either be based on grades of qualifications (e.g. AAA at GCE A-Level, a score of 43/45 in the IB International Baccalaureate Diploma, or a music diploma) or in UCAS points (e.g. 300 UCAS points from 3 A-Levels or an IB score equal to 676 UCAS points). To convert individual scores or grades of specific qualifications into UCAS points, UCAS has created tariff tables indicating indexes and ratios of UCAS points and results of qualifications.[18] For example, an A* at A-level is worth 56 UCAS points, an A 48, a B 40 and so on. For the IB, a score of 45 equals 720 UCAS points, a score of 40 is 611 points, a score of 35 is 501 etc.[19]
Reply 3
Original post by ridaa.xx

And note that many universities in the UK don't care about UCAS points either - some, especially the "higher" universities, make offers based on your high school grades (A-levels, or equivalents).

In Canada you apply direct to each university.
Reply 4
Original post by Obolinda
The Universities and Colleges Admissions Service is a UK-based organisation whose main role is to operate the application process for British universities.

To apply to university, students must submit a single application via UCAS' online Apply service. The application itself requires the student to register to the service, giving a buzzword if applying through a centre, fill in personal details, write a personal statement and choose up to five courses to apply to, in no order of preference. They must then pay an application fee and obtain a reference before submitting their application online by the appropriate deadline. The application is then forwarded by UCAS to the universities and colleges that the students have applied to, who then decide whether to make students an offer of a place. Universities give students either an unconditional offer, where the student will receive a place regardless, or a conditional offer, where the student will receive a place subject to their grades being met.

For applications to universities in the UK, entry requirements for individual courses can either be based on grades of qualifications (e.g. AAA at GCE A-Level, a score of 43/45 in the IB International Baccalaureate Diploma, or a music diploma) or in UCAS points (e.g. 300 UCAS points from 3 A-Levels or an IB score equal to 676 UCAS points). To convert individual scores or grades of specific qualifications into UCAS points, UCAS has created tariff tables indicating indexes and ratios of UCAS points and results of qualifications.[18] For example, an A* at A-level is worth 56 UCAS points, an A 48, a B 40 and so on. For the IB, a score of 45 equals 720 UCAS points, a score of 40 is 611 points, a score of 35 is 501 etc.[19]

Those UCAS tariff points are from the old system. Use this for current points:
https://www.ucas.com/ucas/tariff-calculator

It's best not to just copy/paste wiki info...

TSR's guide to UCAS : https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/university/apply/ucas
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Doonesbury
Those UCAS tariff points are from the old system. Use this for current points:
https://www.ucas.com/ucas/tariff-calculator

It's best not to just copy/paste wiki info...

TSR's guide to UCAS : https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/university/apply/ucas

oh, I thought since they lived in Canada(I think) it wouldn't matter. but thanks...
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Obolinda
oh, I thought since she lived in Canada(I think) it wouldn't matter. but thanks...

I suspect they are international; a Canadian would probably know their country's process :smile:

PS. She?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending