The Student Room Group

Nursing Training

Hi everyone,

I'm a current undergraduate (not in nursing) who's seriously considering going into a nursing career when I'm finished uni in Summer 2019. I've got a reasonably decent level of exposure to the field which I'm now looking to increase as I decide whether this career is definitely the one for me.

One question I had was in terms of the different 'steams' of nursing - the ability to train as an adult, child or mental health nurse. One area I'm potentially keen to work in is essentially a cross-over between two of these areas - I'm really looking into working in pediatric mental health nursing or something along those lines.

My question is whether in order to do this (if I decided it's for me), would I be better off training in child or mental health nursing? And does training in one of these three areas allow for flexibility in terms of transitioning to another branch 'post-qualification' if we decide it's not right for us? I'm struggling to find a great deal of information online in terms of how restrictive these sub-sections of nursing are in terms of working outside of them.

Thanks for any help!!

Impact22
Original post by Impact22
Hi everyone,

I'm a current undergraduate (not in nursing) who's seriously considering going into a nursing career when I'm finished uni in Summer 2019. I've got a reasonably decent level of exposure to the field which I'm now looking to increase as I decide whether this career is definitely the one for me.

One question I had was in terms of the different 'steams' of nursing - the ability to train as an adult, child or mental health nurse. One area I'm potentially keen to work in is essentially a cross-over between two of these areas - I'm really looking into working in pediatric mental health nursing or something along those lines.

My question is whether in order to do this (if I decided it's for me), would I be better off training in child or mental health nursing? And does training in one of these three areas allow for flexibility in terms of transitioning to another branch 'post-qualification' if we decide it's not right for us? I'm struggling to find a great deal of information online in terms of how restrictive these sub-sections of nursing are in terms of working outside of them.

Thanks for any help!!

Impact22

Well you could go into pediatric psychiatry nursing which is along the lines of both of them although if you do choose one over the other there isn't much flexibility for a specialty change
Reply 2
It may be best to speak to the universities or spend some time with people working in the different fields.

I've always been interested in working with children, possibly in a mental health role but have a background in adult healthcare. I have chosen to do a degree in child nursing and then I can do further training in child and adolescent psychology. However Im not sure whether I would then be able to do a post grad in adults if I change my mind. A nursing degree is a good foundation and from what I have heard opens up a lot of doors for progression. Its probably best to talk to the universities.
Original post by Impact22
Hi everyone,

Thanks for any help!!

Impact22

Hey,

I am a learning disability nurse and a little saddened to see that youre either not aware the field exists or have not considered it!
With nursing, the field in which you want to work is the field in which youll train. If you want to work specifically with those with mental health illnesses / conditions then you can become a mental health nurse. As a childrens nurse you are unable to work with adults whereas in mental health, adult and learning disability you can. What is the area in which you have considered or are more passionate about? Youre going to do 3 years in it so you want to be sure its something you enjoy and love.
If you have any further questions feel free to ask!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending