The Student Room Group

Cops ram moped criminals, crime drops 36%

Scroll to see replies

Original post by yudothis
Two wrongs don't make a right.

I assume you are against the police shooting them to stop them? But fine with ramming them? So at what point in between these two methods would you draw the line?

If someone broke their arm because of this, should they be allowed to sue the police?

There is an obvious difference between shooting and ramming at a low speed.

No, they should not be able to sue. They should not be running away from the police in the first place.
Not that these people don't deserve it, but some of these looked rather dangerous...

I agree it looked dangerous I don't care if the little darlings got hurt I care that innocent person could be hunt/killed.

My colleague was mugged by two thugs on a moped at lunch time a few months ago he came in looking shocked. It was on a packed London high street the police could not give chase because an innocent person could have been killed.
Seems quite dangerous and could lead to lawsuits or riots if one of them dies
Original post by Andrew97
There is an obvious difference between shooting and ramming at a low speed.

No, they should not be able to sue. They should not be running away from the police in the first place.

So at what point in between the two would you say "not acceptable"?

You think the police is allowed to use unprovoked violence?

I mean doesn't surprise me given your other posts around the board, but ok.
Original post by looloo2134
I agree it looked dangerous I don't care if the little darlings got hurt I care that innocent person could be hunt/killed.

My colleague was mugged by two thugs on a moped at lunch time a few months ago he came in looking shocked. It was on a packed London high street the police could not give chase because an innocent person could have been killed.

I am not sure what you mean.
Reply 45
Original post by akbar0123

Yet it's not dangerous when they wield claw hammers and break someone's leg and carry on chasing them on the pavement for their phones....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvHxKPD0PoQ
So at what point in between the two would you say "not acceptable"?

You think the police is allowed to use unprovoked violence?

I mean doesn't surprise me given your other posts around the board, but ok.

It’s not unprovoked is it?
Riots v unlikely as there is very little political capital to be gained and you only tend to get riots when there are "community" agitators at work.
It’s not unprovoked is it?

Yes it is. Are the thieves in the process of being violent to the police or others? No.
Yes it is. Are the thieves in the process of being violent to the police or others? No.

They are riding dangerously. Putting innocent members of the public at risk, using force to stop them is legimate.

Try telling the person who has been robbed at knifepoint that the police ramming the thieves is unprovoked. Committing the crime is the provocation.
(edited 5 years ago)
Two wrongs don't make a right.

I assume you are against the police shooting them to stop them? But fine with ramming them? So at what point in between these two methods would you draw the line?

If someone broke their arm because of this, should they be allowed to sue the police?

Only because I'm against the police being routinely armed.

Nope. They chose to lead the police in pursuit. The result of which is their fault.
Original post by nulli tertius
The section 117 power is much narrower and probably would not be available in these circumstances.

Under the section 3 power both the amount of force and circumstances for its use have to be reasonable. Under the section 117 power, it has to be "necessary" to use the degree of force used.

Accordingly, if it is reasonable but not necessary to knock someone off their scooter, section 3 but not section 117 is available.

The section 117 power is more constrained because it relates to many more police powers (particularly powers exercisable against people in custody) than the powers of arrest and prevention of crime covered by section 3.

In civil actions against the police for battery, the police always plead section 3 as their primary defence with section 117 as a fallback position.

Correct and a good explanation (from a PC).

There's also the common law right of self defence which is used by both the public and the police (although not applicable in these circumstances)
Original post by akbar0123

There was a death in 2014 in Islington of Mr Hicks a drug dealer who had 7 bags of skunk on his person who was chase by the police.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/jun/15/henry-hicks-crash-police-chase-drug-dealer-inquest-hears
There was a death in 2014 in Islington of Mr Hicks a drug dealer who had 7 bags of skunk on his person who was chase by the police.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/jun/15/henry-hicks-crash-police-chase-drug-dealer-inquest-hears

I remember that, seen clips of his family on YouTube. They don’t seem the nicest bunch
It needs to happen but it is a shame it's got this bad in London.

The vast majority of these people are men under the age of 21 as well.
There is a lot of young people who had no educational background and feel they have no support or options open to them so they resort to stuff like this.
Ye there are some scum that enjoy it but I think there is a 'lost generation' brewing that just got abandoned by the system.
Original post by adam277
It needs to happen but it is a shame it's got this bad in London.

The vast majority of these people are men under the age of 21 as well.
There is a lot of young people who had no educational background and feel they have no support or options open to them so they resort to stuff like this.
Ye there are some scum that enjoy it but I think there is a 'lost generation' brewing that just got abandoned by the system.

why are you make excuses for the people behavour there are 1000000 of people who grow up poor with little education who never dream of broken the law.

I grow up on a housing estate in West London raised by a single disabled father on benefits had a very bad education and bullied throughout my time at school.

I never broke the law because I have morals and respect for other people. I never meet anyone who broken the law the people who did were low life with no morals. the type of people who love the Krays.
Then maybe your lucky or just smarter then most.
i'm not absolving these guys of guilt just stating what I see on a daily basis.
I'm sure you saw it as well. These kids not going to school and the local council having almost zero interest in them and schools not really wanting them either. Let's not forget that these moped gangs are usually led by adults who specifically target young people not in school and they give them a sense of purpose.

I'm just trying to humanise them as the long term answer is not to get more police cars to ram more people off the road it's to stop these people from doing it in the first place which requires us to understand why they need to do it.
Original post by Drewski
Only because I'm against the police being routinely armed.

Nope. They chose to lead the police in pursuit. The result of which is their fault.

That makes you an autocrat, supporting state violence perpetrated by the police.

Not much to say to that.
They are riding dangerously. Putting innocent members of the public at risk, using force to stop them is legimate.

Try telling the person who has been robbed at knifepoint that the police ramming the thieves is unprovoked. Committing the crime is the provocation.

No, it's not. We do not have vigilante justice.

On a purely moral level I agree with you, **** them up however you want. However, we do should not let the police do whatever they want, to use excessive force on someone who is not in the act of being violent.
why are you make excuses for the people behavour there are 1000000 of people who grow up poor with little education who never dream of broken the law.

I grow up on a housing estate in West London raised by a single disabled father on benefits had a very bad education and bullied throughout my time at school.

I never broke the law because I have morals and respect for other people. I never meet anyone who broken the law the people who did were low life with no morals. the type of people who love the Krays.

Not everyone will die from the same dose of cyanide. But stands to reason that taking a good dose of cyanide has the potential to make you feel not very well.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending