The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Imperial Medical Biosciences 2019 Applicants

I haven’t seen many threads for this and I guess that’s because the course’s relatively new; so thought I’d start the thread for this year’s applicants💯
Drop your info below🔥
A level subjects:
A level predicted grades:
GCSE grades:
Extracurriculars:

Goodluck to all applicants! :banana:
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi! I'm applying for medical biosciences with predicted grades A*A*A* in biology, chemistry and maths. I love learning about the human body and diseases and I believe the course will fulfill my interest.
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Original post by Luc2001
Hi! I'm applying for medical biosciences with predicted grades A*A*A* in biology, chemistry and maths. I love learning about the human body and diseases and I believe the course will fulfill my interest.

That’s awesome!
I’m kinda worried looking at the applicants: offers ratio.
I’m predicted A*A*A*A in Physics, Chem, Bio and Maths.
Looking at last year’s thread, offers were sent out mid-January to early-March and I’m just anxious.
Don’t really know how similar this is to the previous BioMedical course Imperial used to offer.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by AliMurtaza770
That’s awesome!
I’m kinda worried looking at the applicants: offers ratio.
I’m predicted A*A*A*A in Physics, Chem, Bio and Maths.
Looking at last year’s thread, offers were sent out mid-January to early-March and I’m just anxious.
Don’t really know how similar this is to the previous BioMedical course Imperial used to offer.

Your stats are awesome as well!
I think the applicant:redface:ffer ratio is so high because many applying for medicine choose ICL medical biosciences as their 5th choice and I heard that ICL rejects medicine applicants.
Original post by Luc2001
Your stats are awesome as well!
I think the applicant:redface:ffer ratio is so high because many applying for medicine choose ICL medical biosciences as their 5th choice and I heard that ICL rejects medicine applicants.

I guess, could be.

I’ve received decisions from 4/5 unis and this is my top choice course and the fact that expected decisions are in Jan/Feb is killing me
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 5
I guess, could be.

I’ve received decisions from 4/5 unis and this is my top choice course and the fact that expected decisions are in Jan/Feb is killing me

The wait is killing me too haha
Hi guys, I’m a first year medical bioscience student here at Imperial and I was part of the 2018 intake. I’m happy to answer any questions you guys may have about the course and admissions!
Original post by caitlinamae
Hi guys, I’m a first year medical bioscience student here at Imperial and I was part of the 2018 intake. I’m happy to answer any questions you guys may have about the course and admissions!

FINALLY!
How’s the course and what fields does it prepare you for? Is it similar to a biomedical degree?
As far as I’ve read the course outline, I get this feel that it’s really research intensive, how’s the overall feel of the course?
Reply 8

Hi! How are you finding the course and the university? What careers are you considering to pursue with the degree? :smile:
(edited 5 years ago)
FINALLY!
How’s the course and what fields does it prepare you for? Is it similar to a biomedical degree?
As far as I’ve read the course outline, I get this feel that it’s really research intensive, how’s the overall feel of the course?

So the course itself is a biomedical science degree but the only difference is the way it is taught and remember it is not accredited, so yes it is very research focused. We do not have any lectures at all. We have a 9-5 lab day either on a Monday or a Friday (year group is split in two) and then we have 3 hours on a Tuesday and 3 hours on a Thursday. This course is taught in the form of eModules that you do at home by yourself and then you come in on a Tuesday and a Thursday to uni to do activities based on the modules. It is taught via TBL which is team based learning. We are assigned groups of 6 and we work through problems as a team based on the emodule. The idea is that you learn from your team members etc. At the start of every 3 hours you have a 20 minute test out of 10 to test you have done the emodule etc. And then you work through these same questions with your team to discuss each othersanswers. I actually really enjoy this type of learning and it works really well, I wouldn’t have done well in lectures. You are assigned IPads when you start to complete all the modules on! The lap pods are created like a real research lab. We work on developing our own hypothesis and testing them! This term we have been looking at breast cancer cells and we have been learning the different techniques so far like western blot, RNA analysis and tissue culture etc and next week we are moving onto designing our own investigations. I won’t lie the labs have been quite stressful personally as there is so much to do in one daybut they are taking on our feedback to improve it for you guys next year.

Sorry this is a jumbled mess of words, just writing what’s on the top of my head! Please feel free to ask more questions!
Original post by Luc2001
Hi! How are you finding the course and the university? What careers are you considering to pursue with the degree? :smile:

I honestly love imperial but as it’s a city uni and very spread out you do have to make more of an effort to go out and meet people etc, there is a fair bit of travelling! But everyone is so lovely! The career opportunities are quite wide. I was worried about this myself but if you look at most science jobs, all they need is a life science degree so you’ll be fine. Just remember that this degree isn’t accredited so you can’t work as a hospital registered biomedical scientist after doing this degree
So the course itself is a biomedical science degree but the only difference is the way it is taught and remember it is not accredited, so yes it is very research focused. We do not have any lectures at all. We have a 9-5 lab day either on a Monday or a Friday (year group is split in two) and then we have 3 hours on a Tuesday and 3 hours on a Thursday. This course is taught in the form of eModules that you do at home by yourself and then you come in on a Tuesday and a Thursday to uni to do activities based on the modules. It is taught via TBL which is team based learning. We are assigned groups of 6 and we work through problems as a team based on the emodule. The idea is that you learn from your team members etc. At the start of every 3 hours you have a 20 minute test out of 10 to test you have done the emodule etc. And then you work through these same questions with your team to discuss each othersanswers. I actually really enjoy this type of learning and it works really well, I wouldn’t have done well in lectures. You are assigned IPads when you start to complete all the modules on! The lap pods are created like a real research lab. We work on developing our own hypothesis and testing them! This term we have been looking at breast cancer cells and we have been learning the different techniques so far like western blot, RNA analysis and tissue culture etc and next week we are moving onto designing our own investigations. I won’t lie the labs have been quite stressful personally as there is so much to do in one daybut they are taking on our feedback to improve it for you guys next year.

Sorry this is a jumbled mess of words, just writing what’s on the top of my head! Please feel free to ask more questions!

I honestly love imperial but as it’s a city uni and very spread out you do have to make more of an effort to go out and meet people etc, there is a fair bit of travelling! But everyone is so lovely! The career opportunities are quite wide. I was worried about this myself but if you look at most science jobs, all they need is a life science degree so you’ll be fine. Just remember that this degree isn’t accredited so you can’t work as a hospital registered biomedical scientist after doing this degree

Thank you very much for the info! The course sounds amazing and I like the option to study management after the 3rd year, did you go for this option? I'm considering pursuing a career in research so I fancy how research-intensive the course is.

By the way, do you mind if I ask when did you receive your offer?
Original post by Luc2001
Thank you very much for the info! The course sounds amazing and I like the option to study management after the 3rd year, did you go for this option? I'm considering pursuing a career in research so I fancy how research-intensive the course is.

By the way, do you mind if I ask when did you receive your offer?

I personally am not going for the management option but you don’t have to decide that until 3rd year anyway so not an issue. Unfortunately I did not receive an offer until march 20th, so there’s still a fair bit of waiting. They don’t send out any offers until after the Jan 15th deadline
Oh and my year group is made up of 95 of us but they told us they were looking to recruit maybe around 120 this year
Oh and my year group is made up of 95 of us but they told us they were looking to recruit maybe around 120 this year

That's great news!
(edited 5 years ago)
Feel free to ask any more questions if you have any :smile:
What A Levels di you study and what were your predicted grades? :smile:
Psychology, Biology and Chemistry and my predicted grades were A*AA and I got an offer a conditional offer of AAA. In the end I got A*AB :smile: I
Congrats! I'm studying chemistry, biology and maths and my predicted grades are A*A*A* :smile:
Original post by Luc2001
Congrats! I'm studying chemistry, biology and maths and my predicted grades are A*A*A* :smile:

I’m sure you’ll be fine!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending