The Student Room Group

2:2 First Year and 2:1 Second Year - Can I Still apply for Masters?

I got a 2:2 in my first year because I was sick and couldn’t partake in one of the exams... I’m worried that although I have asked my professor to mention this in my reference, that universities may still see this as a poor result...

Do you think it is realistic to be still applying for a masters in media based courses in better universities? Am I being worried for no reason?
You can certainly get on master's.

Remember: master's are not very competitive.

A monkey could get accepted by most places.
Reply 2
Original post by Notoriety
You can certainly get on master's.

Remember: master's are not very competitive.

A monkey could get accepted by most places.

Is that so? I’ve heard arguments for both sides so all I have left is my own assumptions...
Original post by FreddyChin
Is that so? I’ve heard arguments for both sides so all I have left is my own assumptions...

Yes, that is so.

I didn't even mention my first year grades in my application. Only my classification, overall percentage and my disso grade. I got into a bunch of top tier unis.

So you're worrying about nowt.
Reply 4
Original post by Notoriety
Yes, that is so.

I didn't even mention my first year grades in my application. Only my classification, overall percentage and my disso grade. I got into a bunch of top tier unis.

So you're worrying about nowt.

Oh I see, I’m currently doing my final year so I don’t have a dissertation grade to give, hence all they can see is my first and second year results (even though the first year doesn’t count). I’m guessing although the scenario is different, the outcome is the same...
Yes, universities will still want your money. unlikely you'd get into an Oxbridge masters though.
Reply 6
I got a 2:2 in my first year because I was sick and couldn’t partake in one of the exams... I’m worried that although I have asked my professor to mention this in my reference, that universities may still see this as a poor result...

Do you think it is realistic to be still applying for a masters in media based courses in better universities? Am I being worried for no reason?

Those results won't make your transcript shine like an unbroken record of 1sts, but universities are likely to be more interested in your likely final degree classification than in your performance in your first year—even leaving extenuating circumstances aside, it's understood that the first year is often a messy time of transition into higher education.

It varies from course to course and place to place, but there certainly are master's courses which are relatively easy to enter (while actual funding to do a master's, meanwhile, is usually rare and the struggle for it is brutally competitive). Master's courses are often profitable for universities: they can be run efficiently, and the fees aren't capped in the way they are for undergraduate degrees, since they're not part of the undergraduate fee-and-loan structure.

--

If you're applying, the only surefire way to find out what your chances are is (I'm afraid) to wait and see whether you're offered a place. It's natural to worry about it, but pseudonymous strangers on an internet forum are unlikely to be able to give you much precision.
Reply 7
About 15 years ago I applied for a science Masters to 6 top , rank 10 to 25, UK universities. 5 of them made me conditional offers of getting a 2:2 degree and one of them just wanted me to graduate with anything.

Since then, the number of 1sts and 2:1s has risen, but (as already mentioned) a UK university's love for your money is stronger than ever. Also, nobody cares about 1st year's results, and thats why they won't count towards your final classification at most unis.
Reply 8
I have lots of people on my Masters course with a 2:2, I wouldn't worry too much

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending