The Student Room Group

JP Morgan Apprenticeship 2019

Scroll to see replies

Does anyone know whats gunna happen at the assessment centre for the financial services apprenticeship
Nope
Guessing its gonna be group exercises etc
Original post by Ryan23Carter
Hi there,

I was part of the J.P. Morgan social mobility programme in London and have recently been successful in securing a place at their assessment centre for the financial service apprenticeship.

My advice to really succeed is be as genuine and unique as possible, by that I mean, BE YOURSELF! J.P. Morgan love diversity and push to make a difference in this area by recruiting people from all backgrounds so make sure to embrace anything special about you.

Another key aspect is your CV. Make sure ur CV is precise, neat, readable and straight to the point. This means not many sentences and more bullet points with lots of precise detail. Also, try and keep it 1 page maximum, recruiters are reading thousands of these everyday and they very much appreciate an easy and condensed read. *you dont need finance experience to work at JPM just a strong drive and the willingness to learn.

If it gets to the telephone interview I would suggest taking the call in a quiet, comfortable place where you feel no pressure from external factors. I would write down all the factors that make you employable such as skills, motivation, why JPM, career goals, achievements etc. Recruiters wont care if u spend 5 seconds reading some notes to answer a question, a good delayed answer is better than a rushed eratic answer (you also come across more confident).

I hope some of that helps and best of luck!

Hey, Thanks for the detailed description, I've got my assessment centre in December and was wondering how it is structured and what should I expect? Also how should I prepare for this.
Kind regards
Original post by Ryan23Carter
Hi there,

I was part of the J.P. Morgan social mobility programme in London and have recently been successful in securing a place at their assessment centre for the financial service apprenticeship.

My advice to really succeed is be as genuine and unique as possible, by that I mean, BE YOURSELF! J.P. Morgan love diversity and push to make a difference in this area by recruiting people from all backgrounds so make sure to embrace anything special about you.

Another key aspect is your CV. Make sure ur CV is precise, neat, readable and straight to the point. This means not many sentences and more bullet points with lots of precise detail. Also, try and keep it 1 page maximum, recruiters are reading thousands of these everyday and they very much appreciate an easy and condensed read. *you dont need finance experience to work at JPM just a strong drive and the willingness to learn.

If it gets to the telephone interview I would suggest taking the call in a quiet, comfortable place where you feel no pressure from external factors. I would write down all the factors that make you employable such as skills, motivation, why JPM, career goals, achievements etc. Recruiters wont care if u spend 5 seconds reading some notes to answer a question, a good delayed answer is better than a rushed eratic answer (you also come across more confident).

I hope some of that helps and best of luck!

Hey Ryan, thank you for this reply. I just wanted to ask if you can give us an insight on how the assessment centre will be structured and what to expect. Also how can we prepare for it.
Kind regards
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 25
How long does it take for JP Morgan to get back to you after telephone interview? Do successful applicants get told straight after the call?
I was successful and I was told 5 minutes after. However I can vary depending on how many people they had to interview and the backlog.
Reply 27
Through to the assessment centre of the 13th
What is everyone wearing for the assessment centre? I'm thinking a white shirt with a subtle pattern with black chinos and a pair of dress shoes-esque doc martens.
Did anyone else think the telephone interview was too easy..? Seems like everyone will get through based on the questions they asked.

Although I am worried about the assessment centre because the interviewer said that places are on a first come first served basis and my assessment centre is on the 14th so I don't think I have a good chance of getting into the Insight Evening.
Reply 30
Original post by Appren19
Did anyone else think the telephone interview was too easy..? Seems like everyone will get through based on the questions they asked.

Although I am worried about the assessment centre because the interviewer said that places are on a first come first served basis and my assessment centre is on the 14th so I don't think I have a good chance of getting into the Insight Evening.

Hi, what kind of questions did you get for the telephone interview?
Original post by a.aneesah

They said to me that they have filled all of the assessment centre spaces now, if you haven't selected a date for the assessment centres then I am afraid you might have been too late.
Original post by Frazzle27
They said to me that they have filled all of the assessment centre spaces now, if you haven't selected a date for the assessment centres then I am afraid you might have been too late.

dang that sucks
Original post by HeroinAddict
What is everyone wearing for the assessment centre? I'm thinking a white shirt with a subtle pattern with black chinos and a pair of dress shoes-esque doc martens.

Wear a full suit, some didn't wear a tie but definitely wear a suit.

Original post by HeroinAddict
dang that sucks

Yeah I know but I guess if you didn't apply quickly enough then it's kind of your own fault.

Have you been invited for a telephone interview yet? When I booked my telephone interview, there were still some slots available up until next Tuesday.

But the questions revolved around what you knew about the scheme and JP Morgan
Reply 35
Original post by Appren19
Have you been invited for a telephone interview yet? When I booked my telephone interview, there were still some slots available up until next Tuesday.

But the questions revolved around what you knew about the scheme and JP Morgan

My telephone interview is booked in for Tuesday. I had to book it quite far ahead instead of about a week ahead upon notice.
Has anybody been to the November assessment centre? Just wondering what sort of format. I read in previous years there were group activities etc.
Original post by Cockshard
Has anybody been to the November assessment centre? Just wondering what sort of format. I read in previous years there were group activities etc.

I answered this on another thread, see my answer here:

Hi everyone,

Thought I would give you guys some tips about the process this year. For those wondering, I have completed the phone interview and have finished the assessment centre as well (one of the very early ones).

They had to close applications early this year due to high demand, if you passed your phone interview you have done really well because a lot of people get knocked out from that. For that interview, prepare answers for very basic questions such as: Why JP Morgan? Why an apprenticeship? What skills do you have and when have you demonstrated them? It is fairly simple to pass the phone interview and I am sure you all will do well.

The assessment centre is a whole new ballgame. The staff are very friendly and welcoming (I suggest arriving 20 minutes early). The main way to do well here is just to talk. Be it to your fellow applicants or your assessors, just talk and don't stop (obviously this means conversation and not just talking at people). There is nothing you can really do to prepare for the assessment centre apart from just trying to participate in group discussions during lessons at school or wherever. They don't test you on your knowledge of the company but how you interact with other people in a variety of group based tasks. I suggest just googling how to do well in assessment centres to get more info on how to do well.

The next stage after that is your Insight Evening, where you are basically thrown into a networking sort of event and you just have to, again, talk to people. This will be some time in January but I have no information other than that (I am still waiting on my reply for how I did at the assessment centre).

Good luck guys, just try your best and do whatever you can to get a feel for what is coming, looking at the forums here is a very good place to start so you are already ahead of the game!

IIRC they have already filled up all the assessment centres, so if you aren't booked in for one you might be too late - not entirely sure.

35 people in each assessment centre and my guess is that they are doing roughly 20 sessions so if you get to that level you are down to the last ~700 out of over 4000 applicants.

No individual interviews, just:
- Group task 1
- Q&A
- Group task 2

It takes roughly 2 hours for the whole day, I recommend eating before you go (if you book on the 1pm session).

Out of fairness of the other applicants I won't give anything else away but, they are looking for:
- Good attitude
- Listening & communication skills
- Leadership skills
- Motivation
- Problem solving

I unfortunately didn't get through the assessment centre, the competition was very tough and I knew that the moment I walked in the room so I'm not too annoyed. If you are like me and you don't get through just look at it as experience and work out where you went wrong.
Reply 38
Out of curiousity, how many other apprenticeships (level 6/level 7) are you guys applying to? And what companies? And why/how did you choose them?
Also any other details like what grades you applied with or what you’re up to now (if not in education) would be nice to know!
Thought it would be useless starting a new thread.
Out of curiousity, how many other apprenticeships (level 6/level 7) are you guys applying to? And what companies? And why/how did you choose them?
Also any other details like what grades you applied with or what you’re up to now (if not in education) would be nice to know!
Thought it would be useless starting a new thread.

I'm doing the shotgun method. Applying to everything that I can get my hands on. Getting offers is really a numbers game.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending