The Student Room Group

GT Models the business

Is it a scam? Because there are many modelling companies that scam people and I don’t wanna be one of them

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Blondieforxo
Is it a scam? Because there are many modelling companies that scam people and I don’t wanna be one of them

Yup, I got scammed by them. You can read the discussion here:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5622238
Hello, I was scammed by GT Model and HERE IS HOW WE MAY GET MONEY BACK BY REPORTING THEM TO ACTION FRAUD.

1. Follow to the link dealing with reporting fraud and cybercrime in the UK: https://reporting.actionfraud.police.uk/reporting
2. Choose “I AM A VICTIM.”
3. Submit all the information in the following steps (the more details, the better).
In the additional information, PLEASE add the following sentences: “I had the similar experience to another victim of the same company, Marfa Nikitichna Popova, who had reported the crime already. Her reference number for the report is NFRC181102623167.” Make sure you mention you were pressured to pay instantly upfront (if it was the case, as it was with me) and that you were not offered to sign an employment contract, but only a product contract not even by "GT Model" but by "New York Fashion” for your portfolio priced £525-£2000.

Together we can drive the attention of the police to that case, as well as to the whole modelling industry, as these scams have become a widespread phenomenon. Thank you in advance and let's hope that we get our stupidly lost money back!

SPREAD THE WORD. x
My daughter was talked into paying £50 for a photo shoot session by Stany of GT Models. Soon after Stany rang back and said the appointment had to be changed AND charged another £25 for the change she insisted had to be made. We did a lot of research that night and found The Daily Mirror and Mail Online stories about how people attending the shoots have to pay thousands of £££s for the photo's there and then or the photo's will be deleted and that people have paid get no assistance with modelling jobs and end up with just a very expensive but useless set of photo's. The photo's proposed by GT were to be done at New York Fashion 199 Wardour St London which is also where MAC Studios are based. If you Google the owners Oliver James and Hannah Porter plus the Daily Mirror and Mail Online you can find how controversial they have been. Mr James previously owned Orange Models and Apple Models and Route 66 Model - some of them may still be going, but they'll say they are photo businesses or a platform so the regular rules for Model Agencies don't apply. Anyway, we didn't think it was worth going to the shoot so I sent an email to New York Fashion that night and they agreed to cancel the appointment and have refunded the £75, stating that they are a reputable business and made the refund as a gesture of goodwill because we had cancelled on the same day. Text below if you want to use it.Dear Mr James,Late yesterday afternoon (13 November), my daughter XXXX was persuaded by “Stany of GT Models” to send £75 in total to New York Fashion; Stany having first persuaded XXXX to attend a photo shoot on 20 November and then subsequently calling back to tell XXXX the appointment had to be moved to Sunday 25 November.My daughter has attempted to contact you via the New York Fashion website messaging system, but it is not clear that the message has gone through.For your convenience and attention the text of XXXX’s message is below:-Late in the afternoon on 13 November I was persuaded to send £75 to your bank account when called by Stany of GT Models. In accordance with my rights under the Consumer Contracts (Information, Cancellation and Additional Charges) Regulations 2013, I would like to cancel the arrangement for your services on 25 November. I require written confirmation from your that you accept the cancellation will will send a full refund to my bank account.Yours faithfully,XXXXI should be grateful if you will indeed ensure that we receive written confirmation of the refund to be made at the earliest opportunity. You have XXXX’s details in your system should you need any more information.For further reference I believe that the reference to the Consumer Contracts Regulations in your invoice is incorrect and hence misleading. Distance selling regulations require a 14 day cancellation period to be given to consumers unless they request a shorter period for the provision of urgent services in which case cancellation is permitted nevertheless subject only to the cost of services provided. In this case none have been provided and as a consequence a full refund is legally required now that the arrangement has been cancelled. Further the Conduct of Employment Agencies and Employment Businesses (Amendment) Regulations 2010 prohibit the charging of fees in advance and provide workers with the right to withdraw without detriment or penalty within cooling off periods (though the prohibition is total for photographic and fashion modelling and designating a fee as a non-refundable deposit in the event of cancellation is no way around the regulations).XXXX and I look forward to your urgent reply on the basis this unfortunate turn of events can be put right with a speedy refund. In the event that this is not so we shall put the matter into the hands of the appropriate authorities.Yours faithfully,
well this seems stupid your saying you didn't go and they are a scam! i used them they got me signed to mad dog productions and i got job offers every week since i in the NEW HARRY POTTER movie in the big fight that takes place in london! So you guys must be talking rubbish! both of you say you didn't even go to them so how can you know off they are a

NOT SCAM!?ANYWAY BRO They are not a scam or how i have i got SO many jobs! Anyone who wants advice hit me up on Facebook Darren Wheerler also look for my name in credits of new harry potter movie
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 5
gt models is a scam, no agency that asks for a deposit is genuine. Think of it as a job interview, no employer will ask you to pay them. As mentioned by others you should report such people, if you look it on BBC you'll see that an agency asking for deposits like this is a scam and the asking for money alone is punishable by imprisonment. So yeah, be careful guys. Even gt models insta looks fake!
Reply 6
gt models is a scam, no agency that asks for a deposit is genuine. Think of it as a job interview, no employer will ask you to pay them. As mentioned by others you should report such people, if you look it on BBC you'll see that an agency asking for deposits like this is a scam and the asking for money alone is punishable by imprisonment. So yeah, be careful guys. Even gt models insta looks fake! also just googled this Darren Wheerler... doesn't check out.
Also what do you mean u googled me

You sound like a spud mate!

I’m on Facebook
Reply 8
Original post by happypotterextra
Also what do you mean u googled me

You sound like a spud mate!

I’m on Facebook

It's a scam. Bye bye, you fraud.
Original post by happypotterextra
well this seems stupid your saying you didn't go and they are a scam! i used them they got me signed to mad dog productions and i got job offers every week since i in the NEW HARRY POTTER movie in the big fight that takes place in london! So you guys must be talking rubbish! both of you say you didn't even go to them so how can you know off they are a

NOT SCAM!?ANYWAY BRO They are not a scam or how i have i got SO many jobs! Anyone who wants advice hit me up on Facebook Darren Wheerler also look for my name in credits of new harry potter movie

Hey, is that you, Oliver? Anyway, if you read my post carefully you'll see I never said anything or anybody was a scam. You used the word scam not me. I just pointed out that GT Models talk people into paying £50 or £75 by way of deposit that is normally only refunded to people who show up for the shoot. And that at the shoot people are pressured to pay a lot of money for photo's before they leave under threat that the photo's will be deleted if they don't. What's more the photo agency aren't a model agency and can't help people find work, they just provide the photo's. Is that a scam? It's possible it's legal, but it means that people pay a lot more than they need for photo's and most likely don't get any modelling work.
SCAM
They promised me work and lied to me . My daughter has been crying all day . i am going to whatch dog and papers.

avoid at all costs

PM me and we can set up. a whats app group and go and see them at studios

big big scam

scam

SCAM. SCAM
Original post by FFreddie23
Hey, is that you, Oliver? Anyway, if you read my post carefully you'll see I never said anything or anybody was a scam. You used the word scam not me. I just pointed out that GT Models talk people into paying £50 or £75 by way of deposit that is normally only refunded to people who show up for the shoot. And that at the shoot people are pressured to pay a lot of money for photo's before they leave under threat that the photo's will be deleted if they don't. What's more the photo agency aren't a model agency and can't help people find work, they just provide the photo's. Is that a scam? It's possible it's legal, but it means that people pay a lot more than they need for photo's and most likely don't get any modelling work.

Its illegal because

1) Terms & Conditions are not sent by physical copy before the transaction and agreement is made.
2) Terms & Conditions which were said on the phone are different to the T&Cs on email/paper (I have recorded a woman on the phone working with GT Models and she said that the money would be refunded but was trying to avoid the question the whole time).
3) On the phone they said if I cancel beforehand I would get my refund back, then in the emails it said that I cannot refund within 9 days (or 14 days I've forgotten) before the modelling session.
Original post by nicolthewolf
Its illegal because

1) Terms & Conditions are not sent by physical copy before the transaction and agreement is made.
2) Terms & Conditions which were said on the phone are different to the T&Cs on email/paper (I have recorded a woman on the phone working with GT Models and she said that the money would be refunded but was trying to avoid the question the whole time).
3) On the phone they said if I cancel beforehand I would get my refund back, then in the emails it said that I cannot refund within 9 days (or 14 days I've forgotten) before the modelling session.

I've told Media Style that GT Models is an illegal company, they said sure we'll talk to them and see what's happening. Still they are getting clients from GT Models and have definitely got some dodgy deal between themselves.
Everyone please report them to Action Fraud, there is an online form you can fill in and if there are enough reports the police will investigate GT Models AND the modelling studios too.
Original post by Blondieforxo

I went for a photo shoot , I wasn’t allowed my phone , the whole thing took me 5 hours and the people were so rude and unprofessional . Once I walked in there and seeing the location where it was completely put me off, it was behind a strip club in a really toxic area of London. I hated the whole experience I felt really uncomfortable I felt pressured to walk the streets with very little clothing and there was a young girl there and a young boy who I witnessed refusing to wear the little clothing and ugly clothing the stylist” had put together . What was strange was the photographer was very touchy and had 2 days of experience and the stylist” only started working that week . At the end of the photo shoot I had been told that I was successful , the woman made me feel pressured and threatened me to pay 2k and that I had to pay it that day , she was so rude and arrogant and told me that I’m rude for asking questions such as is this a scam. I therefore got kicked out , she had said do you not understand what I’m saying , I keep having to go in circles with you . This place is really unprofessional and disgusting . It will soon be shut down , if you want to scam people I suggest you should be nice and convincing however if someone says no it’s no. There is no need to attack them and make them feel uncomfortable and tell them to leave the office . The woman was disgusting she started comparing her reviews to Tesco’s and I really don’t know how that works . Some people need to find a normal and proper job in life , also she told me this work was connected to a platform where she coudnt tell me any information about and that if I bought the portofollio id get calls for Zara and such sorts but when I asked for model agency’s names which would ring me she got angry and told me I’m rude . These people give fake names, I suggest you all should get a proper job in life instead of frauding people , you told me you had kids but I don’t think they would be happy to know their mums a fraud to other kids their ages and give them fake dreams , I hope one day a woman like you sells them a fake dream as you have done to many other kids . Good luck this place is disgusting
It’s a scam 100% I am doing a video about it on my channel Sandra lings will be up tomorrow
There is a need for more people to know about GT models...MAJOR SCAMMERS. Signed up online and got a call from Ahmed, telling me all about how GT models can help me get high paying jobs modelling for High Street Brand’s like Topshop and Zara and got me all excited. I paid for a 50 pound deposit and attended a test photo shoot at New York Fashion studios, which claimed they were a model platform to get me into the modelling industry. At the end of the photo shoot a woman led me into a room for my assessment and the whole time for an hour she explained what a model platform was, how it was different to a model agency and how this shoot will lead to get jobs very quickly. She was also asking me repeatedly if I was sure I wanted to be a model in which I replied yes. She then told me in order to pass I had to have 40 photos out of the 100 plus that were took that met the standards, and said I got 56. All was good when she took out a price list of how much the photos cost and a portfolio. There were the options for 10, 20, 40 and 80 photos and she said that for the portfolio I had to have 40 photos which cost around 800 pounds. The price of the portfolio did not include the photos and it was around 800 too so it was a really huge sum of money. There was a package deal that included the photos, portfolio, and a ‘Z- card’ , but even that was 2000 altogether. I asked her if I could have time to think about it but she said I had to make the decision then and there. I said I could not pay that upfront so I would pay in instalments in which she agreed, so I paid 900, plus the deposit which was 50. I was stunned as in the emails that I received prior to the shoot had no information on this and even said that I will not be charged for it. She made me sign contracts and I made the mistake of not reading before I signed them. Reading the contract now, it did not mention that they will help me in any way, and it was my responsibly to send my portfolio to GT models, which was different to what the woman had promised. I went to Barclays immediately after recognising they were a scam and had to make 10 painstaking calls to the Barclays help centre and PayPal. I hope that I’ll be able to get my 900 pounds back...all time and effort wasted on my own stupidity.....GUYS I BEG YOU TELL EVERYONE TELL YOUR FAMILY, FRIENDS!!!!!!!!! WE NEED YO OUT AN END TO THIS MONSTROSITY!!!!
Reply 18
There still doing it, they got me yesterday! It weren’t until I told my family and we’ve all looked into it and it’s so fake! 3000 insta followers! It’s just not genuineIs there no way of getting back the money ??
Hello, I am trying to find you on facebook as I would like to discuss things with you? Names Rebecca Dallman

Quick Reply