The Student Room Group

A level maths help

Can someone please help me with this question please, both parts, thank you :smile:
5. A swimmer and a fish set off from the same place at the same time. The swimmer swims in a straight line with constant velocity 1 ms-1. The fish accelerates uniformly from rest to U ms-1 in 2 seconds, then maintains this speed. It moves in a straight line throughout its motion, and overtakes the swimmer 5 seconds after they set off.
(a) Draw a velocity time graph to show the motion of the swimmer and the fish (b) Use your graph to find the value of U.
At the moment of overtake, they have covered equal distances.

a) Draw a velocity time graph to show the motion of the swimmer and the fish.

b) Equate the distance travelled by the swimmer to the distance travelled by the fish. Hence find U.
Original post by BobbJo
At the moment of overtake, they have covered equal distances.

a) Draw a velocity time graph to show the motion of the swimmer and the fish.

b) Equate the distance travelled by the swimmer to the distance travelled by the fish. Hence find U.

I just can’t get my head around what the velocity time graph looks like
Original post by Shannon.Leanne
I just can’t get my head around what the velocity time graph looks like

For the swimmer it should be simple.

For the fish, the speed increases from 0 to U in 2 seconds and is then constant at U for the rest of the time
Original post by BobbJo
For the swimmer it should be simple.

For the fish, the speed increases from 0 to U in 2 seconds and is then constant at U for the rest of the time

Okay thank you, so what should I write for b?
Original post by Shannon.Leanne
Okay thank you, so what should I write for b?

You should write an expression for the distance travelled by the fish. This is the area under your velocity time graph. You should then calculate the distance travelled by the man. Equate the distances then solve for U
Original post by BobbJo
You should write an expression for the distance travelled by the fish. This is the area under your velocity time graph. You should then calculate the distance travelled by the man. Equate the distances then solve for U

Okay I’ve got it now thank you so much!

Quick Reply

Latest