The Student Room Group

what are my chances at an offer from a top 10 university?

Hey! I'm just sorting out my applications/ predictions etc and am pretty stressed. I'm just wondering what my chances would be at the universities I have applied to. Has anyone been in a similar situation/ had similar grades and can give me some truthful advice, even if it hurts! - Thanks :wink:

So, here are my qualifications:
(i'll convert my gcse grades into the 'old' terms- sooo much easier).

GCSE's: 8A*'s, 1B and 1C.

A Levels chosen: Law, Business, Politics, Sociology + EPQ.

AS grades: AAAA + A in EPQ (Law related).

Predictions: A*A*A*A* + (A)- EPQ.

Extra- curriculars:

Spoiler

And, as you probably guessed, I would like to do Law.

The Universities I'm applying to are:

Spoiler

What are my chances? Do I stand a strong chance? I know Cambridge are looking to accept more pupils from state schools so I'm hoping that helps me a little!

(some context)-

from years 7-11 I went to a *statistically* below the national average local comprehensive, before moving to a state grammar school for sixth form.

sorry this is so long, thanks everyone! xx
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

lol
Reply 3

thanks, but from doing some basic research most people say that's not very accurate as it doesn't take into account other factors, such as schools, extra- curriculars etc.

i was looking for some real experiences or people with similar grades that can give me advice/ chances etc

thanks though :tongue:
This is a fairly silly question of you actually think about it. No-one here can possibly tell you if you will get an offer from top - and therefore highly competitive - Universities. They look at far more than just 'grades'.
Original post by s.m999
Hey! I'm just sorting out my applications/ predictions etc and am pretty stressed. I'm just wondering what my chances would be at the universities I have applied to. Has anyone been in a similar situation/ had similar grades and can give me some truthful advice, even if it hurts! - Thanks :wink:

Extra- curriculars:

Spoiler

Spoiler

What are my chances? Do I stand a strong chance? I know Cambridge are looking to accept more pupils from state schools so I'm hoping that helps me a little!

(some context)-

from years 7-11 I went to a *statistically* below the national average local comprehensive, before moving to a state grammar school for sixth form.

I think youll do fine depends on your lnat as well . Your olevels and predicted are good. and so are your extra cirriculars
You’ll be more than fine and you know it.
Reply 7
Original post by s.m999

Extra- curriculars:

Spoiler

Spoiler

(some context)-

You are in year 11. How about you get your GCSEs first, then ask for advice!?
Reply 8
Original post by returnmigrant
This is a fairly silly question of you actually think about it. No-one here can possibly tell you if you will get an offer from top - and therefore highly competitive - Universities. They look at far more than just 'grades'.

Of course they do. That is why I'm just looking for general feedback, anyone with similar grades etc that was in a similar position.
You'll definitely get Liverpool and almost definitely get Kings.

UCL, LSE and Cambridge are harder to say - LSE places huge importance on the personal statement, and obviously Cambridge judge mainly by the interview since everyone applying has great grades.

Those ones I'd say are more luck of the draw - there are more highly qualified applicants than there are places.
Oh wait, I hadn't looked at your subject choices.

They're really bad choices, sorry.

You don't have a single traditional subject, and law and business in particular aren't regarded as particularly academically rigorous.

Is it too late for you to switch to English literature and History? Your subject choices are going to be the main thing that hold you back.
Reply 11
Original post by LeapingLucy
You'll definitely get Liverpool and almost definitely get Kings.

UCL, LSE and Cambridge are harder to say - LSE places huge importance on the personal statement, and obviously Cambridge judge mainly by the interview since everyone applying has great grades.

Those ones I'd say are more luck of the draw - there are more highly qualified applicants than there are places.

Thank you so much! That's awesome to hear.
May I ask why Kings isn't as 'hard' to receive an offer from as UCL and LSE? Aren't those 3 London Uni's very 'prestigious' for law?

Thank you :tongue:
Reply 12
Oh wait, I hadn't looked at your subject choices.

They're really bad choices, sorry.

You don't have a single traditional subject, and law and business in particular aren't regarded as particularly academically rigorous.

Is it too late for you to switch to English literature and History? Your subject choices are going to be the main thing that hold you back.

Which one would you recommend switching to history?
Original post by s.m999
Thank you so much! That's awesome to hear.
May I ask why Kings isn't as 'hard' to receive an offer from as UCL and LSE? Aren't those 3 London Uni's very 'prestigious' for law?

Thank you :tongue:

Kings just isn't as prestigious as LSE or UCL. I'm an LSE student, and I've gone to events at Magic Circle law firms that only LSE and UCL students were invited to. Kings' students don't get a look in.

Your subject choices heavily reduce your chance of LSE or Cambridge though.
Reply 14
Kings just isn't as prestigious as LSE or UCL. I'm an LSE student, and I've gone to events at Magic Circle law firms that only LSE and UCL students were invited to. Kings' students don't get a look in.

Your subject choices heavily reduce your chance of LSE or Cambridge though.

But those uni's still aren't completely out of the window yet, are they?

If I have an excellent PS and a very good interview, would I still have a chance?
Original post by s.m999

Business, Sociology or Law.

Politics A-level is the most respected out of the ones you currently do.
Original post by s.m999

I have almost the same subjects as you and have recieved two offers already. Politics Sociology Law and Economics . The subjects you have are perfectly fine consult your counsellor I dont think it would be a good idea if you took up a new subject rn .
*Has perfect grades, lots of work experience and extra curricular whilst going to a below average school*
“What are the chances I will get into a top 10 Uni ecks dee i am so average”

Smh- this is a great example of everything wrong with TSR and most of the snobs on here. Subtle boasting and bs.

You’re likely to get into Cambridge (if the info you have supplied is actually true) and we both know it.

Cambridge has already given out most of their interviews as far as I know- but some colleges might still be rolling out. The fact you haven’t mentioned anything about that makes me think you might be bs’ing here.
Reply 18
Business, Sociology or Law.

Politics A-level is the most respected out of the ones you currently do.

Would this A- Level subject combination be well respected to LSE and Cam:

History, Politics, Business, Ancient History.
Reply 19
Original post by Kilam_Namoan
*Has perfect grades, lots of work experience and extra curricular whilst going to a below average school*
“What are the chances I will get into a top 10 Uni ecks dee i am so average”

Smh- this is a great example of everything wrong with TSR and most of the snobs on here. Subtle boasting and bs.

You’re likely to get into Cambridge (if the info you have supplied is actually true) and we both know it.

Cambridge has already given out most of their interviews as far as I know- but some colleges might still be rolling out. The fact you haven’t mentioned anything about that makes me think you might be bs’ing here.

I'm not applying this year, I'm just looking at general admissions information for when I do apply.

Also @LeapingLucy has said it's going to be extremely hard for Cambridge and even LSE and the likes, due to my subject combination.

Quick Reply

Latest