The Student Room Group

Mistake at work

I made a mistake at work earlier this week and its really been playing on my mind and stressing me out. Basically we have this thing at Sainsbury's called FOA where we walk around our department scanning items that have no stock left on shelves to order more. I was asked to do this on Wednesday and I've done it loads of times before. Now I didn't know we are only meant to scan stuff that is completely out of stock so I was also scanning stuff that had low stock. I got called to the office where a manager (not my manager just someone covering that day) told me that I had scanned too much stuff because the value of stock ordered was a lot. I explained to him how I did it and he told me that I'm only meant to scan empty bits. When I went in for my next shift 1 of my 2 managers mentioned the mistake but she was really nice about it and just explained to me where I went wrong. I also have another manager who I didn't see during my last shift but he's a bit more stricter and I'm worried that I might get a warning or disciplinary or something and since I have booked the next 2 weeks off for my exams I won't know for a few weeks if anything will happen and it's stressing me out. Do you think it's likely something will come of this since it's a mistake involving money or is it just a minor thing I'll learn from and it's in the past?

Scroll to see replies

There's a sainsburys thread on tsr, I'm sure you'll get better answers there. Not being anon isn't a big deal on this site...
Reply 2
It's just a minor thing.
Reply 3
Original post by hello_shawn
There's a sainsburys thread on tsr, I'm sure you'll get better answers there. Not being anon isn't a big deal on this site...

I've tried using that thread a few times but no one responds.
Reply 4
I used to work in Sainsbury’s on checkouts and I made a much bigger mistake than you and didn’t get a warning or a disciplinary. I honestly think you will be fine, if they were going to do something about it then you’d know. Everyone makes mistakes, don’t worry but it’s good that one of your managers has explained to you where you went wrong so you know for the future, and when you go back I’m sure it will be like nothing has happened. Just relax and focus on your exams.
Reply 5
Original post by Nvec
I used to work in Sainsbury’s on checkouts and I made a much bigger mistake than you and didn’t get a warning or a disciplinary. I honestly think you will be fine, if they were going to do something about it then you’d know. Everyone makes mistakes, don’t worry but it’s good that one of your managers has explained to you where you went wrong so you know for the future, and when you go back I’m sure it will be like nothing has happened. Just relax and focus on your exams.

Thanks for the reassurance. It's just that it's my first job and it's only been 4 months since I got it and my store is actually a decent place to work so I want to stay on good terms. They told me I spent £8000 on the FOA and I was like wtf because I'd done it loads and it had always been fine but I guess this time I went a bit crazy maybe and since it's a mistake involving a lot of money it worries me.
Original post by Anonymous
Thanks for the reassurance. It's just that it's my first job and it's only been 4 months since I got it and my store is actually a decent place to work so I want to stay on good terms. They told me I spent £8000 on the FOA and I was like wtf because I'd done it loads and it had always been fine but I guess this time I went a bit crazy maybe and since it's a mistake involving a lot of money it worries me.

A few thoughts:

1. It's your first job, so how do you know it's a decent place to work? - You've nothing to compare it with.
2. It's hard to fire people these days, so your job's really safe. As a novice, your supervisor(s) should be more diligent and take time to explain thoroughly what it is you're meant to do. So it's hardly your fault if you did, actually, make an error.
3. If you did, however, misunderstand the instructions given, take this as a life lesson. If there's any doubt whatsoever about a set of instructions you get given, any instructions, anywhere - QUESTION THEM!! Make sure you always know precisely what it is you're supposed to be doing. Processes like this should be in a policy document / job spec / training manual. Or at least a set of written instructions is set out somewhere. Make sure you know where.
4. Worst case is that they give you a warning, or find some other excuse to ask you to leave. Unlikely as the Christmas 'rush' is just around the corner, and better to have someone with 4 months experience working there, than a newbie, or down a member of staff.
5. They could be giving you a wind-up.
6. Don't let it worry you. Focus on your tests.

hth
x
Reply 7
Original post by begbie68
A few thoughts:

1. It's your first job, so how do you know it's a decent place to work? - You've nothing to compare it with.
2. It's hard to fire people these days, so your job's really safe. As a novice, your supervisor(s) should be more diligent and take time to explain thoroughly what it is you're meant to do. So it's hardly your fault if you did, actually, make an error.
3. If you did, however, misunderstand the instructions given, take this as a life lesson. If there's any doubt whatsoever about a set of instructions you get given, any instructions, anywhere - QUESTION THEM!! Make sure you always know precisely what it is you're supposed to be doing. Processes like this should be in a policy document / job spec / training manual. Or at least a set of written instructions is set out somewhere. Make sure you know where.
4. Worst case is that they give you a warning, or find some other excuse to ask you to leave. Unlikely as the Christmas 'rush' is just around the corner, and better to have someone with 4 months experience working there, than a newbie, or down a member of staff.
5. They could be giving you a wind-up.
6. Don't let it worry you. Focus on your tests.

hth
x

I think it's a decent place to work because my colleagues are nice and I've never been treated badly like you hear quite a lot of people are treated badly by their managers in retail but mine haven't done that and they at least say "please" and "thank you."

I've never really been given training actually. I started with a few other newbies and we learned the basics by ourselves whilst the other stuff like reductions, disposals and FOA was shown to us by another normal colleague or in my case I actually learned those things from my fellow newbies after they were shown by another colleague they then showed me how to do it.

I thought I did know what I was doing I've done FOA loads with no problems just last time I clearly ****** up but I at least now know the correct procedure. We do have manuals online that explain things but I only got access to my account a few weeks ago and sometimes procedures can differ from store to store.

Thanks for helping I just hate not knowing you know. I kind of wish I was working tomorrow instead of having it off for exams so that I could at least find out what's happening and clear my head.
If it was an issue they'd have said so immediately. It's not a big deal just a misunderstanding.
I used to do work experience in the NHS in the supplies section and because of me they ordered too much stock and it cost the hospital hundreds in wastage.

The manager said I did a good job trying to cover the role, because compared to the average fortnight I saved them money.

In other words, if the manager wasn't happy he would tell you directly. If you're just pulled over to the side for an explanation, that means it's so minor it's not worth thinking about. Just do what you're meant to next time.
1. If it's your first mistake, you will almost certainly be let off
2. They will most probably sell the stock you ordered, meaning they've lost nothing
3. Even if they did lose the £8,000, what do you think that is in relation to their overall profit? Nothing, pretty much.

It'll be fine, it's not a huge mistake, and I doubt it will have caused them any inconvenience at all.

I think stock should be replenished before it's sold out completely, tbh. I'm fed up of walking round supermarkets and there being empty spaces where everything I want (or it feels like that, anyway) should be. I think you've got the right idea.
I'm a level 2 worker just a normal part time shelf stacker. I thought FOA was meant to be done by managers or specifically trained people too as that's what it says in the online manuals but I guess our store is different. I do work in Fresh Foods so stock doesn't have a long shelf life but everything I scanned was either out of stock or had low levels of stock left so hopefully it gets sold. I'm just curious though why are we not meant to FOA stuff that is almost out of stock won't it just be bad for customers if we have no stock of something for a few days? I haven't had any previous warnings and I always work hard I just hate not knowing I wish I could just go in for a shift and if nothing happens then I can completely forget about it.
Original post by LostAccount
I used to do work experience in the NHS in the supplies section and because of me they ordered too much stock and it cost the hospital hundreds in wastage.

The manager said I did a good job trying to cover the role, because compared to the average fortnight I saved them money.

In other words, if the manager wasn't happy he would tell you directly. If you're just pulled over to the side for an explanation, that means it's so minor it's not worth thinking about. Just do what you're meant to next time.

I haven't seen my other manager since it happened that's why I'm worried but the manager I have seen was cool about it so hopefully it's ok. Like you said I know for next time now and I'll be extra careful.
Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
1. If it's your first mistake, you will almost certainly be let off
2. They will most probably sell the stock you ordered, meaning they've lost nothing
3. Even if they did lose the £8,000, what do you think that is in relation to their overall profit? Nothing, pretty much.

It'll be fine, it's not a huge mistake, and I doubt it will have caused them any inconvenience at all.

I think stock should be replenished before it's sold out completely, tbh. I'm fed up of walking round supermarkets and there being empty spaces where everything I want (or it feels like that, anyway) should be. I think you've got the right idea.

It is my first real mistake the other mistakes I made were when I was a newbie and just learning. When I went in for my shift after the mess up the chiller was a bit fuller than usual but it was only really the raw meat and ready meal sections that had more than usual so hopefully it gets sold. I know £8000 is nothing to Sainsbury's but it's still a lot of money and I don't know why this time it turned out so bad when I've been doing FOA since I started the job and had no problems.

I thought I was doing the right thing too haha. If there's a ready meal that only has 1 or 2 left or the chicken breasts are almost empty why not order some more? So if 1 customer had picked up the last ready meal then I would have been ok to scan it but since there's 1 left I'm meant to leave it. Doesn't really make sense to me but oh well.
That makes a lot more sense now I wish it was explained to me. I'll definitely only be scanning out of stock stuff from now on. I would only FOA stuff that was low stock if I knew there was none in the back because I work evenings so by that time we have worked all the stock so I know if we have something in the back or not. I think Sainsbury's have recently shaken up their management roles there are no team leaders or supervisors anymore so maybe that's why normal staff are required to do more now. Thanks for explaining though it makes a lot more sense now.
We always get told to do FOA so it's definitely a part of my job at my store. Whether or not it's meant to be is a different matter haha. It's the same with disposals I think those are technically meant to be done by mangers I think but we always do them.
I've noticed some people like to hide disposals they couldn't be ***** doing underneath crates so that the next day there's even more disposals to do it's so annoying. And people who don't empty liquid disposals down the sink before putting them in the box really **** me off too it would save me so much time if people could do that and I wouldn't have to clean up the massive puddle of leaked milk as well.
Oh yeah the reduction vultures. As soon as it hits 9pm and the 10p reductions start they swarm around me asking for things to be redcued and then they'll try and walk off before I even get the chance to stick the barcode on. Or the ones who moan about the reduced price not being low enough. "74p! Call that reduced?"
We have a similar guy at our store. He's an elderly guy who comes in every day at around 7 or 8pm and and looks for stuff that needs reducing or disposed of on the shelves. He never buys the reduced stuff he just likes finding faults and constanty tells me how Morrison's is better. I'll be doing reductions and he'll walk over with a basket of stuff that needs reducing. Did you work in a small convenience store? Sounds great getting to drive somewhere and get paid for it.
Original post by Anonymous
It is my first real mistake the other mistakes I made were when I was a newbie and just learning. When I went in for my shift after the mess up the chiller was a bit fuller than usual but it was only really the raw meat and ready meal sections that had more than usual so hopefully it gets sold. I know £8000 is nothing to Sainsbury's but it's still a lot of money and I don't know why this time it turned out so bad when I've been doing FOA since I started the job and had no problems.

I thought I was doing the right thing too haha. If there's a ready meal that only has 1 or 2 left or the chicken breasts are almost empty why not order some more? So if 1 customer had picked up the last ready meal then I would have been ok to scan it but since there's 1 left I'm meant to leave it. Doesn't really make sense to me but oh well.

Yeah, it's like if you leave it until there's none at all, you're going to disappoint some customers, and surely they want to avoid that?

Ah well, the simplest thing is to do as you're told even if it doesn't make sense (within reason obviously!) and nobody got hurt you will be 100% fine :smile:.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending