The Student Room Group

Poo found on every McDonald’s touchscreen tested

--
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

why don't you eat or drink anything from restaurants, cafes or fast food outlets?
To be honest, if you swabbed most public places I'm sure you'd find similar results. Door handles, handrails, items off a shop shelf - you can't guarantee that everyone who has ever touched a surface has washed their hands before/afterwards. So no, these results aren't a surprise but McDonald's will probably take the report on board and action it, even if it's just adding more regular cleaning of the screens by the staff.

It's not going to stop me eating there, or anywhere but I am more likely to go wash my hands between placing an order and waiting for it to arrive now.
(edited 5 years ago)
Yuck. :eek::eek:
I am never going to touch a McDonald’s touchscreen ever.
Not surprised.
Original post by RivalPlayer
I don't trust the hygiene practices. It's no big deal (for me) anyway.

no nandos :hug:
Original post by PQ
no nandos :hug:

I'm a vegetarian, so I'm not missing much.

Even if you weren't you're not missing much. Personally, I don't get the Nandos hype :confused:
I'm a vegetarian, so I'm not missing much.

their veggie stuff is lovely
Reply 8
I was under the impression that anything touched by another person will have traces of faeces, urine, bacteria, cocaine etc on it. The combination of my own hygiene and my immune system will be sufficient to deal with it though. And the same goes for everyone else who isn't too chicken to venture outdoors.
Doesn't surprise me at all really... Didn't they do swabs of people's smartphones a while back and pretty much found the same thing? I mean, if we're getting faecal matter on our smartphones, it's no surprise that other things you might touch soon after using the toilet can also have faecal matter on them.

Does it put me off? Not really. There's only so much cleaning you can do to prevent this. You can't realistically have someone wipe down the screens every time someone has used them.

You'd probably find the same on other commonly touched things. Frankly, I'm not hugely bothered, it's good to be exposed to bad bacteria and whatnot, it helps to strengthen your immune system through exposure. Though I'd much rather it be something a bit less disgusting than other peoples' faecal matter...
(edited 5 years ago)
Says a researcher from London Met.

They probably brought it in when they touched the screens.
1) They tested 8 stores in 2 cities, hardly the most population representative sample

2) Could probably find these results in most public places because of people who don’t wash their hands. Swab anything in tube stations and you’ll probably find the exact same results - won’t stop you from using them aha.

Basically just used some *****y results to get a fear-mongering, popular article
Not that their food is much better anyways.
Original post by saffarinda

Basically just used some *****y results to get a fear-mongering, popular article

I see what you did there.
Reply 14
Not the slightest bit arsed.
Easy answer is is use your forefinger knuckle.

This report should be no surprise though as McDonald's can't even organise the building so that the toilet doors open outwards negating the need to touch any handles after you've washed your hands on the way back in to the restaurant to eat your food.
This should be a basic requirement for any restaurants where you don't use cutlery, and are expeced to eat food with your fingers.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 16
I don't trust the hygiene practices. It's no big deal (for me) anyway.

I almost only eat food at home because I don't trust these places as well. Also the food is generally crap.
Traces of faeces have been found on every single McDonald’s touchscreen swabbed in an investigation by metro.co.uk. Samples were taken from the new machines that have been rolled out at restaurants across the country every one of them had coliforms. Senior lecturer in microbiology at London Metropolitan University Dr Paul Matawele said: ‘We were all surprised how much gut and faecal bacteria there was on the touchscreen machines. These cause the kind of infections that people pick up in hospitals.

Unsuspecting diners choose their food on the touchscreens then head to the server to pick up their burgers more often than not without washing their hands.

Dr Matewele added: ‘Touchscreen technology is being used more and more in our daily lives but these results show people should not eat food straight after touching them, they are unhygienic and can spread disease. ‘Someone can be very careful about their own hygiene throughout the day but it could all be undone by using a touchscreen machine once.’

Metro.co.uk’s study with the university’s school of human sciences involved swabs taken from eight McDonald’s restaurants. Six in London and two in Birmingham.

I don’t eat or drink anything from restaurants, cafes and fast food outlets. The results of this experiment don’t surprise me. In my experience, a lot of people don’t wash their hands properly (and regularly). This is especially true in regard to the consumption of fast food. It just doesn’t happen.

Do the results of this experiment come as a surprise to you? Has the story put you off eating at McDonald's for life? Or perhaps you just don’t care.

Share your thoughts

More at the link:
https://metro.co.uk/2018/11/28/poo-found-on-every-mcdonalds-touchscreen-tested-8178486/

Not a surprise really considering the class of customer they receive.
To be fair, I haven't eaten McD's in 3 years but even so, I'm not really surprised at this. Majority of people probably don't even care enough to practise good hygiene nowadays + a lot of fast food restaurants/chains are probably the same in terms of hygiene.
Original post by lasorr
Haha get it right up the baby eaters. Especially the following omnivore p ricks: @Andrew97 @the bear @Abaddon rex

And your tagging me because?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending