The Student Room Group

Getting into university with 2 A-levels and EPQ

I’m currently doing three a-levels (sociology, psychology, and english literature and language). I’m thinking of dropping sociology to concentrate on my other subjects and do my EPQ but I’m not sure if i will be able to get into university to study psychology
Hi,
I'm pretty sure you need three A-levels to get into university as there are always three A-level grades on the entry requirements. If it's too much work, it would be better to drop your EPQ. Why do you feel you need to drop sociology?
Original post by jesslilley2001
I’m currently doing three a-levels (sociology, psychology, and english literature and language). I’m thinking of dropping sociology to concentrate on my other subjects and do my EPQ but I’m not sure if i will be able to get into university to study psychology

You will have a hard time finding a decent university that will take you without 3 A-levels.
Original post by Jasmine528
Hi,
I'm pretty sure you need three A-levels to get into university as there are always three A-level grades on the entry requirements. If it's too much work, it would be better to drop your EPQ. Why do you feel you need to drop sociology?

It depends on what uni of course none of the top ones would but somewhere like de Montfort do accept 2 a levels
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Afterlife?
It depends on what uni of course none of the top ones would but somewhere like de Montfort do except 2 a levels

Yes, but it would significantly narrow down your choices.
I haven’t taken on EPQ yet but im planning to next year, I’m just finding sociology difficult and it’s cery time consuming, I’m worried that my grades for my other two subjects will suffer
I haven’t taken on EPQ yet but im planning to next year, I’m just finding sociology difficult and it’s cery time consuming, I’m worried that my grades for my other two subjects will suffer

3 A-levels at slightly lower grades are better than 2 A-levels at higher grades in terms of the options they give you.

You would need high grades in your 2 A-levels and EPQ to compensate. Taking DMU as an example, you would need an A grade in all 3 (or variations thereof) to reach the required 120 points.

Hi jesslilley2001,

I think it would be more beneficial to drop the EPQ as this wouldn't reap as many tarrif points as a full a-level would. Plus, sociology is really complimentary to psychology! Unfortunately Plymouth requires a minimum of three A-Levels, however I am more than happy to answer any questions you may have about a-levels as I've been through it myself :smile:

- Seren, University of Plymouth Student Rep

Quick Reply

Latest