The Student Room Group

Applying for internships no predicted grades

Hi I’m currently applying for internships (I’m a 1st year engineering student) and lots of them want you to enter predicted grades or say are you on track for a “insert grade here” and I don’t know cause I don’t have predictions yet.

Any one got any advice as to what to do with these questions.

Like the ones where it’s like will ii get a 2.2 I expect the answer is yes. But I don’t know cause we haven’t had any actual exams or mocks yet. But I don’t want to say yes as I don’t know but that means you are automatically screened out.

Eg for the Tesco’s software engineering it wants a 2.2 but says if there’s mitagatinf circumstances you can say at the end so I said no and was going to say haven’t yet received predictions. But then it automatically disqualified you so there was no chance to do that.

This ones super annoying since I’d have been guaranteed an interview if I got through this bit.
(edited 5 years ago)
What grade are you expecting? Haven't you done any assessed work? Just put a first or a 2:1 if that's more realistic. Don't go lower than a 2:1
Original post by Student-95
What grade are you expecting? Haven't you done any assessed work? Just put a first or a 2:1 if that's more realistic. Don't go lower than a 2:1

Thanks for replying

The thing is the only assessed work we’ve done is stuff that’s for standard credit. Kinda hard to do bad on and only counts for 1/9 o
Of our first year grade which doesn’t even count anyway.

It’s just I don’t want to lie and say I’m predicted a grade when I’m not. After mocks it will be easier but a bunch of them close before then.
Original post by Snoozinghamster
Thanks for replying

The thing is the only assessed work we’ve done is stuff that’s for standard credit. Kinda hard to do bad on and only counts for 1/9 o
Of our first year grade which doesn’t even count anyway.

It’s just I don’t want to lie and say I’m predicted a grade when I’m not. After mocks it will be easier but a bunch of them close before then.

It's only an expected grade and they know you won't have much to go on. As long as you're not consistently scraping passes and claiming you're expecting a first then it won't be a problem. You don't usually get official predicted grades at uni like at A level so it'll always be whatever you think is reasonable.
It's only an expected grade and they know you won't have much to go on. As long as you're not consistently scraping passes and claiming you're expecting a first then it won't be a problem. You don't usually get official predicted grades at uni like at A level so it'll always be whatever you think is reasonable.

Wait, so you just predict your own grades. That doesn’t make sense (not saying. I don’t believe you just confused) why do they ask if you just make up whatever sounds good.
I just don’t know if I’m at scrapping passes or approaching a first as we have had no exams and I think everyone has had full marks for standard credit so far as your not meant to lose any marks there!
Wait, so you just predict your own grades. That doesn’t make sense (not saying. I don’t believe you just confused) why do they ask if you just make up whatever sounds good.
I just don’t know if I’m at scrapping passes or approaching a first as we have had no exams and I think everyone has had full marks for standard credit so far as your not meant to lose any marks there!

Yeah. If you get an offer they will likely ask for a transcript as part of the checks but as long as you're getting a 2.1 you should be fine there.
Yeah. If you get an offer they will likely ask for a transcript as part of the checks but as long as you're getting a 2.1 you should be fine there.

Thanks. This is just all really weird. I have no clue how I’m doing at anythzing at the moment. I’m hoping the supervisor reports might be semi useful to judge this.
Not being given predictions is just weird for me. Soo many years of continual predictions and judgement if they aren’t perfect really gets your brain wired to expect them!
The issue is cause it’s not formal and I don’t have any evidence to say that it just feels wrong and like lying if you get me.
The issue is cause it’s not formal and I don’t have any evidence to say that it just feels wrong and like lying if you get me.

Predict based on your A-Level grades. If you got straight As go for a first, anything less go for a 2:1. If you have a mix of B's and C's (with more C's or lower) then go for a 2:2.
Original post by CityofMud
Predict based on your A-Level grades. If you got straight As go for a first, anything less go for a 2:1. If you have a mix of B's and C's (with more C's or lower) then go for a 2:2.

Surely if that’s how it worked everyone here would end up with a first though which I know isn’t true. (Entry requirements were A*A*A)
Fair enough.

It just confuses my brain that companies ask for predictions if they aren’t a thing. Like it makes more sense post first year when you at least have year 1 results. But at the moment there’s no papers to even know if I’m averaging 60%

It’s not that I don’t believe what you’re saying (I do) I just don’t understand the thought processes for companies.

Least I know what to do from now on even if I really don’t like it!
Surely if that’s how it worked everyone here would end up with a first though which I know isn’t true. (Entry requirements were A*A*A)

Doesn't matter, for several reasons

1. If you're in such a competitive course and applying as a first year you'd be snapped up by employers anyway. The reason is because they're aware of the fact that it's too early for you to have predicted anything accurately. By the time you get your first year's full grades the recruitment cycle would be over. They will thus normally judge by the A-Levels and the predicted grade is there as a 'standard' metric they use on all application forms, from interns to graduates (unless they've finished their degree).

2. If you complete the internship and get offered a further position (e.g. 2nd year summer) then employers will only care about your grades insofar as it meets the general application criteria. By the time you get your grades you would have already signed the internship contract. Putting a low predicted grade thus shows that you lack confidence, unless you have strong reason to believe that you cannot achieve it.

2. Most first-year courses are designed to strengthen what you learn at A-Level and not very difficult. It's quite common for people to get straight firsts in first year and drop to 2:2 s after, because the jump is so large. First year grades should thus be taken with a pinch of salt, and most unis don't even count it as part of the final degree grade for this reason.

Source: Applied for and obtained spring weeks, albeit as an accounting and finance student. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong/process is different for engineering.
Yeh. I think I’m going to give up with understanding why anyone does anything!😂
Doesn't matter, for several reasons

1. If you're in such a competitive course and applying as a first year you'd be snapped up by employers anyway. The reason is because they're aware of the fact that it's too early for you to have predicted anything accurately. By the time you get your first year's full grades the recruitment cycle would be over. They will thus normally judge by the A-Levels and the predicted grade is there as a 'standard' metric they use on all application forms, from interns to graduates (unless they've finished their degree).

2. If you complete the internship and get offered a further position (e.g. 2nd year summer) then employers will only care about your grades insofar as it meets the general application criteria. By the time you get your grades you would have already signed the internship contract. Putting a low predicted grade thus shows that you lack confidence, unless you have strong reason to believe that you cannot achieve it.

2. Most first-year courses are designed to strengthen what you learn at A-Level and not very difficult. It's quite common for people to get straight firsts in first year and drop to 2:2 s after, because the jump is so large. First year grades should thus be taken with a pinch of salt, and most unis don't even count it as part of the final degree grade for this reason.

Source: Applied for and obtained spring weeks, albeit as an accounting and finance student. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong/process is different for engineering.

Ok that makes more sense. No i wonder Is this some widely known fact that students know and I’m just utterly oblivious to or are there lots of people equally confused!

It's a stupid question for an employer to ask. No-one has a formal prediction, there's no established, universalised and accepted process for 'predicting' grades - even schools can't do it accurately for UCAS. At uni everyone puts 2.1 unless they are over-confident and already have a string of 1sts or are under-confident and have a string of 3rds. Otherwise, there's only answer, evidence or not - 2.1 - which is why the question is stupid!
Ok that makes more sense. No i wonder Is this some widely known fact that students know and I’m just utterly oblivious to or are there lots of people equally confused!

Haha it's ok I was very confused a first year as well. I just happened to ask HR that I met at an event and they told me that it takes too much effort to create separate forms especially when they're large companies with several recruitment pathways, so they just use the same ones and exercise common sense when reviewing applicants.
Haha it's ok I was very confused a first year as well. I just happened to ask HR that I met at an event and they told me that it takes too much effort to create separate forms especially when they're large companies with several recruitment pathways, so they just use the same ones and exercise common sense when reviewing applicants.

Ah. Glad it’s not me being super incompetent. I’ve been embarrassing oblivious about many things to do with university! Thanks again.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending