The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by saffarinda
Are they quite different to open days or if you’ve been to the open day should you bother going? Particularly if the Uni is a fair bit away from you.

You’re making a decision about where to spend the next 3+ years of your life. Why would you turn down an opportunity to find out more to inform that decision.

Even if the talks aren’t that different you have another chance to look round the campus and the town, a chance to travel on your own to find out what the journey is like, a chance to speak to fellow applicants, current students and staff....
Reply 2
Original post by PQ
You’re making a decision about where to spend the next 3+ years of your life. Why would you turn down an opportunity to find out more to inform that decision.

Even if the talks aren’t that different you have another chance to look round the campus and the town, a chance to travel on your own to find out what the journey is like, a chance to speak to fellow applicants, current students and staff....

I meant for uni’s you’re not 100% on - like obviously I’d go to open days for my firm and insurance but everything else i’m uncertain on is 🤷🏻*♀️

Plus, it’s not easy for me to find a way to get to a Uni 2 hours away on 5 separate occasions. I want to know if it’s worth the money, and if people who attended open days and offer holder days found anything different
I meant for uni’s you’re not 100% on - like obviously I’d go to open days for my firm and insurance but everything else i’m uncertain on is 🤷🏻*♀️

Plus, it’s not easy for me to find a way to get to a Uni 2 hours away on 5 separate occasions. I want to know if it’s worth the money, and if people who attended open days and offer holder days found anything different

Visiting your other choices is important to make sure that you have something to compare your firm and insurance with. And if things don’t go to plan on results day then having a better idea of all your choices gives you some great options to explore in clearing.

I don’t understand why you wouldn’t want all the possible facts and experiences available in order to make such a big decision. If you had no intentions of going to or seriously considering those universities then why bother putting them in your application.

If you can’t be arsed to spend 5 days visiting different towns, cities and universities then don’t bother - but you’re choosing to limit your own horizons.
Are they quite different to open days or if you’ve been to the open day should you bother going? Particularly if the Uni is a fair bit away from you.

maybe wait till you have all your offers and then go on some more? Also why is it costing so much? also if you're worried about money maybe think about taking the coach wherever you're going, if you aren't already
Reply 5
Original post by isiaiah d
maybe wait till you have all your offers and then go on some more? Also why is it costing so much? also if you're worried about money maybe think about taking the coach wherever you're going, if you aren't already

I live in the West Midlands, Uni’s I applied to are Southampton, Nottingham, Manchester, KCL and UCL. Kinda just everywhere in the country haha.

Coach is a good idea though thanks!
Reply 6
Original post by PQ
Visiting your other choices is important to make sure that you have something to compare your firm and insurance with. And if things don’t go to plan on results day then having a better idea of all your choices gives you some great options to explore in clearing.

I don’t understand why you wouldn’t want all the possible facts and experiences available in order to make such a big decision. If you had no intentions of going to or seriously considering those universities then why bother putting them in your application.

If you can’t be arsed to spend 5 days visiting different towns, cities and universities then don’t bother - but you’re choosing to limit your own horizons.

The point is is that I HAVE visited the uni’s, all the uni’s I’ve applied to. I thoroughly researched my options and visited everywhere intended on the open days and wrote thorough notes about accommodation costs, course and unit details etc.

I just want to know if the offer holder days vary from the open days. There’s no point in me revisiting a Uni if I already have all the information I need and want on it. But if offer holder days provide something else that open days don’t then I’m happy to go out of my way to attend some.
The point is is that I HAVE visited the uni’s, all the uni’s I’ve applied to. I thoroughly researched my options and visited everywhere intended on the open days and wrote thorough notes about accommodation costs, course and unit details etc.

I just want to know if the offer holder days vary from the open days. There’s no point in me revisiting a Uni if I already have all the information I need and want on it. But if offer holder days provide something else that open days don’t then I’m happy to go out of my way to attend some.

They tend to concentrate more on the course than open days. It is a chance for universities to sell themselves to you and for you to look at the places in greater detail. Whether you wish to visit is up to you. If your decision is already made maybe not but some change their mind after attending one of these. You could visit a few in half term week
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by swanseajack1
They tend to concentrate more on the course than open days. It is a chance for universities to sell themselves to you and for you to look at the places in greater detail. Whether you wish to visit is up to you. If your decision is already made maybe not but some change their mind after attending one of these. You could visit a few in half term week

Thank you! Every Uni I visited had the same “Introduction to Psychology” talk which followed exactly the same pattern. Do offer holder days tend to be smaller and less busy, maybe more personalised now that they know they want you to attend their University?

I definitely want to re-visit UCL and KCL (despite attending a summer school at UCL I’ve never had a chance to solely meet the Psychology lecturers because I did Psychology with Education), it’s more-so Manchester, Nottingham, and Southampton I’m in the air about haha.
They are smaller and more focussed. Usually a few academics including the admissions tutor and about half a dozen or more student ambassadors who are studying the subject and able to provide a current students view.

In my experience, offer holder days are specifically catered to certain subjects, so for an understanding of the particular course you will be studying, they're really useful. You get to meet and chat with lecturers, teachers and current students. They also usually do a sample lecture (all 3 I went to did)

The way I see it: open days give you a taste of the university, offer holder days give you a taste of the course.
Original post by LeapingLucy
In my experience, offer holder days are specifically catered to certain subjects, so for an understanding of the particular course you will be studying, they're really useful. You get to meet and chat with lecturers, teachers and current students. They also usually do a sample lecture (all 3 I went to did)

The way I see it: open days give you a taste of the university, offer holder days give you a taste of the course.

Ah a sample lecture would be good! That sounds really useful. What Uni’s did you visit for offer days?
Ah a sample lecture would be good! That sounds really useful. What Uni’s did you visit for offer days?

LSE, Warwick and Nottingham :-)

My other offer was Edinburgh but I live in the South of England so it was too far!
LSE, Warwick and Nottingham :-)

My other offer was Edinburgh but I live in the South of England so it was too far!

Ah understandable! What Uni did you end up attending? :smile:
Ah understandable! What Uni did you end up attending? :smile:

I'm in my second year at LSE currently. What universities have you applied for?
I'm in my second year at LSE currently. What universities have you applied for?

UCL, KCL, Nottingham, Manchester, and Southampton :smile:

Definitely visiting UCL and KCL, I was looking for tickets to Nottingham but the earliest coach departs at 11:20am (wayyy too late aha) and trains that would get me there on time cost around £30 which is why I’m hesitant
UCL, KCL, Nottingham, Manchester, and Southampton :smile:

Definitely visiting UCL and KCL, I was looking for tickets to Nottingham but the earliest coach departs at 11:20am (wayyy too late aha) and trains that would get me there on time cost around £30 which is why I’m hesitant

Which course are you applying for?

For me, Nottingham was always going to be my insurance, and part of the reason I went to an offer holder day there was because I hadn't been to an open day, and didn't want to risk ending up there without ever having visited!
Reply 17
and trains that would get me there on time cost around £30 which is why I’m hesitant

Versus the near £60k you will be investing in the 3 years at university...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Doonesbury
Versus the near £60k you will be investing in the 3 years at university...

Posted from TSR Mobile

learn that some people aren’t privileged enough to have money on them instantaneously
Reply 19
learn that some people aren’t privileged enough to have money on them instantaneously

I doubt it's today/tomorrow. You have until May.