The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Depression is a lie.

Depression is a lie, it is something created to keep people from understand their sadness. When people say they are depressed it is very difficult for other people to understand what the hell that means and it is a practical not emotional thing. What people should internalize is that you are sad or you have sadness weighting you down emotionally. Saying you are depressed doesn't help anyone, if you tell your family you are depressed they won't understand, if you say you are feeling sad or sadness, they will have a more emotional reaction and you will feel that emotionally. The word depression and the idea of depression is a lie and it needs to be done away with. It doesn't help anyone.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Clockrice
Depression is a lie, it is something created to keep people from understand their sadness. When people say they are depressed it is very difficult for other people to understand what the hell that means and it is a practical not emotional thing. What people should internalize is that you are sad or you have sadness weighting you down emotionally. Saying you are depressed doesn't help anyone, if you tell your family you are depressed they won't understand, if you say you are feeling sad or sadness, they will have a more emotional reaction and you will feel that emotionally. The word depression and the idea of depression is a lie and it needs to be done away with. It doesn't help anyone.
I'm so pleased for you, that you have so little life experience to feel able to make this claim. Your life must be so much better than everyone else's.
There is a difference being a little sad and being totally depressed- If you do not treat depression, it can cause suicide and other issues like self-harming.
Depression is not just sadness. If that was the case it wouldn't be recognised as a mental illness.
Reply 4
depression isn't sadness tho. you can be depressed and not feel sad. indeed not feeling anything is usually the default position (imo) because depression is the feeling that nothing really matters. sadness is more like temporary mourning, i.e. my phone broke so now i feel sad. but you don't feel hopeless about it.

if you tell your family you're sad when you're depressed, they still won't understand you because it's not the same thing. if you tell your family you're sad, they'll think you'll get over it by the end of the week.

long story short, when people don't understand depression, it's because they've never experienced it - not because you didn't explain yourself properly.
clearly you're just posting this to get attention
Can’t stand know-it-alls.
Someone's never been depressed then - it's not sadness

Don’t be so silly. Depression is a recognised illness. Why do you think you know more about it than anyone else?. Sadness is a completely different issue to depression. Most people feel sad at one point in their lives -sad that they have lost a loved one, a pet etc. Sadness is not an illness. Depression is. This is a forum where many people have been diagnosed with depression. Your post is ridiculous, naive and insulting.
Original post by CoolCavy
Someone's never been depressed then - it's not sadness

Pop Psychology.
Original post by Seamus123
Pop Psychology.

Indeed. Apparently people shouldn't say they are depressed because people might not know what it means. Here's a radical thought why don't they Google it :eek:
Original post by CoolCavy
Indeed. Apparently people shouldn't say they are depressed because people might not know what it means. Here's a radical thought why don't they Google it :eek:

Lol🤣
Reply 12
Original post by Tootles
I'm so pleased for you, that you have so little life experience to feel able to make this claim. Your life must be so much better than everyone else's.

Well yeah, I am.
Reply 13
Original post by ObedientBeliever
There is a difference being a little sad and being totally depressed- If you do not treat depression, it can cause suicide and other issues like self-harming.

No, people not being able to get back to their sadness, process and evaporate it causes people to kill or harm themselves.
Reply 14
Original post by Anonymous
clearly you're just posting this to get attention

I made this post because it is the truth.
Original post by Joleee
depression isn't sadness tho. you can be depressed and not feel sad. indeed not feeling anything is usually the default position (imo) because depression is the feeling that nothing really matters. sadness is more like temporary mourning, i.e. my phone broke so now i feel sad. but you don't feel hopeless about it.

if you tell your family you're sad when you're depressed, they still won't understand you because it's not the same thing. if you tell your family you're sad, they'll think you'll get over it by the end of the week.

long story short, when people don't understand depression, it's because they've never experienced it - not because you didn't explain yourself properly.

Yes, well, OP thinks everyone should become a Christian, believe in the sky fairy and all your sadness will go away because depression doesn’t exist.
And people wonder why mental health is seen as a important issue today because of mentalities like this. 😑
Original post by Professional G
And people wonder why mental health is seen as a important issue today because of mentalities like this. 😑

OP has come out with this rubbish on other threads. Telling people that depression doesn’t exist and if they need to believe in her Lord Jesus Christ. It would be hilarious if it wasn’t so dangerous. There is just no accounting for the stupidity of some people who think that religion is a cure all for everything.

Here are some of the symptoms of depression.

What you might notice is that there's a lot more to depression than being 'just sad'.

Latest

Trending

Trending