The Student Room Group

French resit exams

Where can I resit my French exams? How early is it possible? Can I do it in January 2019 or February 2019 or March 2019 or April 2019 or will I have to wait until mid-May to do it?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mjhmichael18
Where can I resit my French exams? How early is it possible? Can I do it in January 2019 or February 2019 or March 2019 or April 2019 or will I have to wait until mid-May to do it?

If you are in the UK and May is when you sat it last time, then it will be may this time again. They are only held once a year if its the UK.
Unless your school agrees to let you sit there, then you need an exam centre that accepts private candidates.. Google, ask your exam officer or look on the exam board wevsite. It woul normally costs you c £50 for the exam and £100-150 to use the test centre.
It is the UK.
Original post by 999tigger
If you are in the UK and May is when you sat it last time, then it will be may this time again. They are only held once a year if its the UK.
Unless your school agrees to let you sit there, then you need an exam centre that accepts private candidates.. Google, ask your exam officer or look on the exam board wevsite. It woul normally costs you c £50 for the exam and £100-150 to use the test centre.

It is the UK and it was May when I sat it last time round so I will have to wait until next May. My school won’t agree and let me resit there as they only allow me to resit your English, Maths or Science and not French. So I need an exam centre that accepts private candidates even though it might cost me £200 it will be well worth it at the end of the day.

It is the UK and it was May when I sat it last time round so I will have to wait until next May. My school won’t agree and let me resit there as they only allow me to resit your English, Maths or Science and not French. So I need an exam centre that accepts private candidates even though it might cost me £200 it will be well worth it at the end of the day.

PS I don’t really mind where as long as it is within 50 miles of my home as I don’t like doing long journeys.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 6

Why do you need to resit French GCSE at all?

You would be better just focussing on your A-levels (or equivalent).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Doonesbury
Why do you need to resit French GCSE at all?

You would be better just focussing on your A-levels (or equivalent).

Posted from TSR Mobile

Because I got a 3, old D and I was 7 marks off a 4 old C pass as the pass rate for French is just below 60% I got 56%. My mum and dad want me to pass it eventually.
Reply 8
Because I got a 3, old D and I was 7 marks off a 4 old C pass as the pass rate for French is just below 60% I got 56%. My mum and dad want me to pass it eventually.

The "pass mark", in terms of raw marks, changes every year.

What were your other GCSE grades? Are you now doing A-levels? Are you planning on going to university? A 3 in French will not affect a future university application except in some very limited cases, and being distracted by having to retake it may adversely affect your current studies much more.
(edited 5 years ago)
PS I don’t really mind where as long as it is within 50 miles of my home as I don’t like doing long journeys.

You just have to google private exam centres. You will have additional challenges because they also need to accept doing the aural and oral tests.
Original post by Doonesbury
The "pass mark", in terms of raw marks, changes every year.

What were your other GCSE grades? Are you now doing A-levels? Are you planning on going to university? A 3 in French will not affect a future university application except in some very limited cases, and being distracted by having to retake it may adversely affect your current studies much more.

2 in Geography
2 in History
2 in English Language which I am also retaking and hoping to get eventually.
3 in English Literature
3 in RE
Entry Level 2 in PE
Pass in English Language Speaking
5 in Maths which I am retaking to get a 6 which I really dearly want and need.
5-5 in Combined Science Double Award. No I am concentrating on getting 5 GCSEs or more and retaking some so I can get at least 2 more GCSEs as I only got 3 GCSEs out of 9 first time round.I am doing A-Levels eventually. Hopefully, next September if everything turns out right this time round. It doesn’t really affect my current studies even though it is an extra thing to do and revise for and another 4 exams in May than the other people doing my course but who cares anyway. At least it is less exams than last year and that is all I care about. All it really means is a trip to Coventry City Centre to see my tutor every Thursday evening.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 11
2 in Geography
2 in History
3 in English Literature
3 in RE
Entry Level 2 in PE
5-5 in Combined Science Double Award. No I am concentrating on getting 5 GCSEs or more and retaking some so I can get at least 2 more GCSEs as I only got 3 GCSEs out of 9 first time round.I am doing A-Levels eventually. Hopefully, next September if everything turns out right this time round. It doesn’t really affect my current studies even though it is an extra thing to do and revise for and another 4 exams in May than the other people doing my course but who cares anyway. At least it is less exams than last year and that is all I care about.

That's different then. Just re-take French alongside your other subjects. Did you try to do your original GCSEs in one year or something?
2 in Geography
2 in History
3 in English Literature
3 in RE
Entry Level 2 in PE
5-5 in Combined Science Double Award. No I am concentrating on getting 5 GCSEs or more and retaking some so I can get at least 2 more GCSEs as I only got 3 GCSEs out of 9 first time round.I am doing A-Levels eventually. Hopefully, next September if everything turns out right this time round. It doesn’t really affect my current studies even though it is an extra thing to do and revise for and another 4 exams in May than the other people doing my course but who cares anyway. At least it is less exams than last year and that is all I care about. All it really means is a trip to Coventry City Centre to see my tutor every Thursday evening.

Are you sure that A levels are right for you considering you got mostly Es and Us
No 2 years. I just didn’t finish my exam papers and I had problems revising and everything like reading pictures as 2D not 3D and that is why I didn’t pass Geography and History I at least think but I always hated the idea of staying there. I wanted to leave so badly regardless of my results, I couldn’t commit to doing a 15 mile journey for another year. The people who stayed were mostly people who I never really liked.
(edited 4 years ago)
2 in Geography
2 in History
3 in English Literature
3 in RE
Entry Level 2 in PE

Original post by Zaporizhia
Are you sure that A levels are right for you considering you got mostly Es and Us

I didn’t get any Us but I did get three Es 3s are old Ds, 2s are old Es, 1s are old Fs and Gs and Us are below that. 4 is like a low old C and 5 is like a C+ and 6 is like a B, 7 is like a B+ and 8 is like a A and 9 is like an A*. That is how the new gradings compare to old and work 9 is the highest, 1 is the lowest. I know it is right thing for me and I am sure it is as it is the best course for me.
Well I spoke to my school on Monday and they said:

Good morning Michael,

Unfortunately you will not be able to take your GCSE French exams here at the college as we do not act as host centres for languages due to the oral element of the exam. If you need to find a centre that holds the exams, I can recommend a place called 'tutors and exams' which is based in Coventry who take external candidates. The contact number is 02476 221008.

You will also need to find out when your French exams are as you may have a clash on your timetable. If this is the case please let me know.

I hope this helps, any questions please let me know.

Kind regards, Jackie Hands
(edited 5 years ago)
No 2 years. I just didn’t finish my exam papers and I had problems revising and everything like reading pictures as 2D not 3D and that is why I didn’t pass Geography and History I at least think but I always hated the idea of staying there. I wanted to leave so badly regardless of my results, I couldn’t commit to doing a 15 mile journey for another year. The people who stayed were mostly who I never really liked like Roman Sallis for example and Alex Carvell.

I just thought it was right to leave as I wanted to be away from those annoying, nasty and horrible people at my old school.
Well I spoke to my school on Monday and they said:

Good morning Michael,

Unfortunately you will not be able to take your GCSE French exams here at the college as we do not act as host centres for languages due to the oral element of the exam. If you need to find a centre that holds the exams, I can recommend a place called 'tutors and exams' which is based in Coventry who take external candidates. The contact number is 02476 221008.

You will also need to find out when your French exams are as you may have a clash on your timetable. If this is the case please let me know.

I hope this helps, any questions please let me know.

Kind regards, Jackie Hands

With French you have the additional oral and aural exams. They cost extra as they cant be done by the exam board.

I would go with what your school advised. Known quantity, plus you know they will accept you.

Alternatively if you have checked the exam boards list of test centres, then it falls down to google to hunt the local ones that advertise. It could possibly costs you c £250. Is there any reason you dont want the one suggested by the school?
If so its either google or ringing round sort of research. Thats how I would solve it.
@Doonesbury

I want to leave French alone with English at GCSE because I think the A-Level is too hard for me and it is better for me to pursue my Maths passion than it is to pursue languages.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 18
I want to leave French alone with English at GCSE because I think the A-Level is too hard for me and it is better for me to pursue my Maths passion than it is to pursue languages.

So why resit French at all? (I know your parents want you to but that's not really a good reason)
I was very close last year to passing it. I was only 7 marks off but as the pass mark changes every year I am not sure what it is going to be next year.

Quick Reply

Latest