The Student Room Group

Updated 17th August!! Medicine Clearing for 2019 Entry

This is the thread for Medicine Clearing 2019 Entry

This thread will be updated throughout mid to late August with the latest information on Clearing for Medicine.

List of Unis with Clearing for Medicine
University of Buckingham: Medicine 4.5 years
University of Keele: Medicine <- no longer in Clearing
University of Lancaster: Medicine and Surgery <- no longer in Clearing
University of Nottingham: Lincoln Medicine (A10L) 5 years <- no longer in Clearing
{University of Nottingham: Lincoln Medicine with a Foundation Year (A18L) 6 years} <- no longer in Clearing
{University of Leicester: Medicine with a Foundation Year A199} <- no longer in Clearing
St George's, UoL: Medicine 5 years <- no longer in Clearing

Call to confirm
Aston Uni <- unsure, assume that it is not in Clearing
ARU <- no longer in Clearing
Uni of Liverpool <- no longer in Clearing
Sunderland Uni <- no longer in Clearing

Don't just trust this post - search for yourself >>> https://digital.ucas.com/search/results?SearchText=Medicine <<<

Update 1 13th August: Lancaster Uni has entered UCAS Clearing. Requires BMAT 9.8 for 2 sections. Thanks to @TheExamFailure

Update 2 13th August: Leicester A199 has entered UCAS Clearing. Note you'll have to meet certain criteria to be eligible for consideration. See https://le.ac.uk/courses/medicine-with-foundation-year-mbchb/2019 Thanks to @BlueSpikes

Update 3 13th August: Keele has appeared on the UCAS Clearing vacancy list. Thanks to @jmuse

Update 1 14th August: Nottingham (Lincoln) A10L and Nottingham (Lincoln) A18L have appeared on the UoN's own Clearing list, not yet on the official UCAS list. Thanks to @AwwA

Update 2 14th August: Aston Uni may well be entering medical clearing. Not confirmed, thanks to @anonymous for PMing me.

Update 1 15th August: Anglia Ruskin Uni has entered UCAS Clearing. Thanks to @NothnButTheTooth

Update 2 15th August: Sunderland Uni has officially entered Clearing. Thanks to @Sunderland Uni Official Rep

Update 3 15th August: updated with various requirements. Thanks to @dibdnit. Edge Hill Uni Med with Foundation year has entered clearing. Thanks to @Santorium

Update 4 15th August: Keele is now closed for Clearing. UKCAT cut off was 2280.

Update 5 15th August: Lancaster is now closed for Clearing.

Update 6 15th August: Sunderland is now closed for Clearing.

Update 7 15th August: ARU is now closed for Clearing, thanks to @DFRC91

Update 8 15th August: Leicester A199 is now listed as "No Vacancy", thanks to me :u:

Update 9 15th August: Liverpool A100 was apparently open for Clearing earlier today for a few hours. Now it is closed and nothing is listed either on their website or on UCAS, thanks to @bobby1_25

Update 1 17th August: St George's is now closed for Clearing, thanks to @AwwA

Update 2 17th August: Nottingham (Lincoln) A10L and A18L are now closed for Clearing.

@BlueSpikes has compiled a must-read post in this thread (post #46), please scroll down.

Post originally created by ecolier.
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Sella
Hi,
Just thought of having this tread for Medicine clearing discussion and helping each other during our difficult period.

Good luck to everyone for your dream to become a doctor. However I am sure this page will help someone during their difficult period. I would appreciate, if you could share the details here, what you have collected from others.

Hope some of the students who used clearing to secure a medicine seat will also share their experience. Since you already experienced this route, please provide tips.....Thanks.

Clearing doesn’t open until next July :confused:
Reply 2
Original post by Sella
Hi,
Just thought of having this tread for Medicine clearing discussion and helping each other during our difficult period.

Good luck to everyone for your dream to become a doctor. However I am sure this page will help someone during their difficult period. I would appreciate, if you could share the details here, what you have collected from others.

Hope some of the students who used clearing to secure a medicine seat will also share their experience. Since you already experienced this route, please provide tips.....Thanks.

As said, the medical UCAS deadline has just passed and you are thinking clearing?! Talk about being pessimistic!

If you wanted to know what happened about 2 - 3 months ago (Medicine Clearing for 2018), go to this thread: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5377422

(edited 5 years ago)
Will I be able to get into St. George’s for medicine through clearing even though I have an offer from eg HYMS?
Reply 4
Original post by Studio ghibli
Will I be able to get into St. George’s for medicine through clearing even though I have an offer from eg HYMS?

Do you know how Clearing works? If not read https://www.ucas.com/undergraduate/results-confirmation-and-clearing/what-clearing

If you declined that HYMS offer / all offers so you have no offers by July, then yes you can go through Clearing for (any) medical school which happens to offer it.

From 5 July to 23 October, you can apply for a course using Clearing if you’re not already holding an offer from a university or college, and the course still has places.

You can use Clearing if:

you’re applying after 30 June (doesn't apply to you)

you didn’t receive any offers (or none you wanted to accept)

you didn’t meet the conditions of your offers (you wouldn't know yet)

This thread will remain locked until early / middle of next year when people have actually received 4 rejections / turned down their offers, and they start to think about Clearing.

(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 5
Hi all,

I'm a Scottish school leaver and applied to university for 2019 entry. Unfortunately I've been rejected by all 4 of my choices and although my next step is to do really well in my exams in May and then take a gap year, I am still going to look into Clearing for 2019 entry because I would very much rather go straight into medicine this year than have to take a year out.

I was wondering if there's anyone on the same boat as me? Don't really know how Clearing works or if all universities do it but as Dundee is my first choice I would really hope to get place there. I'll probably try phoning up as well on results day if I get the results I need.

Here are my stats:

UKCAT: 625.5 Band 3
Scottish Highers: 7As
Predicted Grades: 1A and 2Bs at Advanced Higher, A at Higher
Applied to: Dundee, Glasgow, Edinburgh, St Andrews
Reply 6
At clearing are unis strict with AAA or AAB can also try?
Anyone know what universities are going into Clearing for medicine / when?
Just to provide a bit of context, medical schools only actually entered clearing just 3 years ago so it's not guaranteed it will happen again...

It is likely that if it does happen generally they will offer places to those who have already been interviewed and were unsuccessful in the absence of concerning features. This is because it is against admission standards to admit applicants without interview.
Reply 9
Original post by thatonethere
Just to provide a bit of context, medical schools only actually entered clearing just 3 years ago so it's not guaranteed it will happen again...

It is likely that if it does happen generally they will offer places to those who have already been interviewed and were unsuccessful in the absence of concerning features. This is because it is against admission standards to admit applicants without interview.

Interviewed at any uni or to that particular uni gone into clearing?
Original post by Siaa
Interviewed at any uni or to that particular uni gone into clearing?

Likely at that uni - for example it would hardly seem fair if you were on the reserve list for say, Leeds and they offered the place to someone who didn't have an interview there.
Reply 11
Likely at that uni - for example it would hardly seem fair if you were on the reserve list for say, Leeds and they offered the place to someone who didn't

If a uni has a reserve list then why will they be open for clearing in the first place?
Unis will then simply use their reserve list to send offers without the hassle of clearing.
Does that make sense?
Original post by Siaa
If a uni has a reserve list then why will they be open for clearing in the first place?
Unis will then simply use their reserve list to send offers without the hassle of clearing.
Does that make sense?

Presumably so - unless they do extra interviews? I'm not sure, I've don't think Leeds ever have but perhaps other unis have done extra interviews around clearing?
Reply 13

Uni's who entered medicine clearing last year held additional interviews a week or two after A level results day. Making offers to candidates who have already been interviewed does not require "clearing".
Has anyone found any universities in UCAS extra for medicine?
Lancaster
Original post by Saltystud3nt
Original post by Saltystud3nt

https://digital.ucas.com/courses/details?coursePrimaryId=2e6f7565-7172-baa3-7908-ef0b6e9df6f1&academicYearId=2019
and
https://digital.ucas.com/courses/details?coursePrimaryId=39437430-c63e-6aad-077a-38767ed8ab97&academicYearId=2019
Are still showing as having vacancies on UCAS course search.
You need to ring them to confirm whether that's accurate or whether they're listed by mistake before referring your application to them.
Original post by med2002
Hi all,

I'm a Scottish school leaver and applied to university for 2019 entry. Unfortunately I've been rejected by all 4 of my choices and although my next step is to do really well in my exams in May and then take a gap year, I am still going to look into Clearing for 2019 entry because I would very much rather go straight into medicine this year than have to take a year out.

I was wondering if there's anyone on the same boat as me? Don't really know how Clearing works or if all universities do it but as Dundee is my first choice I would really hope to get place there. I'll probably try phoning up as well on results day if I get the results I need.

Here are my stats:

i am in the same boat as well. my thread if you want to see it
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5858400&p=82385870#post82385870
Reply 18
Original post by med2002
Hi all,

Here are my stats:

I think your UKCAT score is too low for Dundee. You have a similar score to my son and he was rejected by Dundee as having a too low score.
Reply 19
Original post by Sooo
I think your UKCAT score is too low for Dundee. You have a similar score to my son and he was rejected by Dundee as having a too low score.

That would make sense. I was very disappointed and hopefully will improve it this year. Did your son get invited to attend an interview at Dundee? I know some universities don’t consider UKCAT after interviews but Dundee might have an overall score that considers UKCAT as well and I would understand that.

Latest