The Student Room Group

How much should i be revising?

So I've just finished my mocks and I'm already a bit burnt out! Anyways , I'm unsure on how many hours I should be revising on weekdays and on weekends. Also how many subjects should I revise in day?

I want to get at least 7s and 8s and 9s if I'm lucky tbh.
Yeah I'm in the same situation.

give yourself a break for a few days and use this time to plan. Do any homework that's nice and easy and plan for long term goals.

then plan how much of each activity you REALISTICALLY are going to do, there's no point saying you're gonna do 5 hours of textbook reading when you could be more productive realistically doing an hour of making or reading flashcards.
for big things like English, don't rush with revision and just pace yourself through the texts, just be little but often and so you can be ready for when you'll have to pick up the pace alot in exam season.

All the best
Reply 2
Original post by LukeT333
Yeah I'm in the same situation.

give yourself a break for a few days and use this time to plan. Do any homework that's nice and easy and plan for long term goals.

then plan how much of each activity you REALISTICALLY are going to do, there's no point saying you're gonna do 5 hours of textbook reading when you could be more productive realistically doing an hour of making or reading flashcards.
for big things like English, don't rush with revision and just pace yourself through the texts, just be little but often and so you can be ready for when you'll have to pick up the pace alot in exam season.

All the best

Thank you!!
Have a break. Give yourself over christmas to recover and then revise what you believe you need to revise
Hi,
I did GCSEs last year (and apart from PE got mostly 8-9 with a few 7s and As, so all this comes from experience.
Having just done mocks you want to b giving yourself at least a short rest...for the next week or two I would suggest that you just did homework and not too much more, if anything. After that it should be the holidays, so I would start by making a list of all the hints that you felt most uncertain about in mocks and doing maybe 1-3 hours a day with a rest day at some point in the week, focusing on those things. And of course have the Christmas period off! Mainly this holiday, though, you should be resting and recouperating ready for next term, Also, I tend to count the hours I do a week rather than a day so that if one day changes somehow I can reconfigure my week a bit and not feel bad about doing less on a particular day.
The number of subjects a day depends on what works best for you-all I work best having subject specific days where I really go to town on science or maths or French or English and nothing else, but that's for you to decide.
Little and often. :smile:
Take a break if you're feeling burnt out - and don't think that you have to work for a certain amount of time either, set a to-do list for the week with what you want to get done so that your days are a bit more flexible. Please don't burn out again though :hugs:
Reply 6
Original post by AzureCeleste
Have a break. Give yourself over christmas to recover and then revise what you believe you need to revise

Thank you!!
Reply 7
Original post by redmeercat
Hi,
I did GCSEs last year (and apart from PE got mostly 8-9 with a few 7s and As, so all this comes from experience.
Having just done mocks you want to b giving yourself at least a short rest...for the next week or two I would suggest that you just did homework and not too much more, if anything. After that it should be the holidays, so I would start by making a list of all the hints that you felt most uncertain about in mocks and doing maybe 1-3 hours a day with a rest day at some point in the week, focusing on those things. And of course have the Christmas period off! Mainly this holiday, though, you should be resting and recouperating ready for next term, Also, I tend to count the hours I do a week rather than a day so that if one day changes somehow I can reconfigure my week a bit and not feel bad about doing less on a particular day.
The number of subjects a day depends on what works best for you-all I work best having subject specific days where I really go to town on science or maths or French or English and nothing else, but that's for you to decide.

Thank you for the advice! I will probably do everything you mentioned ! Amazing results btw, what are you doing now ?
Reply 8
Original post by laurawatt
Little and often. :smile:
Take a break if you're feeling burnt out - and don't think that you have to work for a certain amount of time either, set a to-do list for the week with what you want to get done so that your days are a bit more flexible. Please don't burn out again though :hugs:

Thank you!!
Original post by sllyie
So I've just finished my mocks and I'm already a bit burnt out! Anyways , I'm unsure on how many hours I should be revising on weekdays and on weekends. Also how many subjects should I revise in day?

Hey! Well done for doing your mocks! I bet it was stressful! I would try to do a good few hours each day and try to concentrate on one subject on each day and i personally struggle to switch between subjects as i start to get into something and then have to move on. I hope this helps! Let me know how you get on and good luck!
Sophia :smile:
Original post by sllyie
Thank you for the advice! I will probably do everything you mentioned ! Amazing results btw, what are you doing now ?

No problem!
I'm doing French, history as English lit A levels, which I love despite the workload Are you thinking of anything specific for A level or anything?
Reply 11
Original post by hallamstudents
Hey! Well done for doing your mocks! I bet it was stressful! I would try to do a good few hours each day and try to concentrate on one subject on each day and i personally struggle to switch between subjects as i start to get into something and then have to move on. I hope this helps! Let me know how you get on and good luck!
Sophia :smile:

Thank you for the advice! I'll make sure to update x
Reply 12
Original post by redmeercat
No problem!
I'm doing French, history as English lit A levels, which I love despite the workload Are you thinking of anything specific for A level or anything?

I plan on doing A levels and I'm thinking of psychology,biology and history ! How do you find history A level, anything I should take in mind ?
Original post by sllyie

20-40hrs each subject.. I revised a few weeks before exams started so yh
Reply 14
Original post by Yr_11_MATHS
20-40hrs each subject.. I revised a few weeks before exams started so yh

Is this per week ?
more
Original post by sllyie
Is this per week ?

nah... the weeks before the exams start.. so April- May time for each subject... I'm talking from personal experience
Original post by sllyie
I plan on doing A levels and I'm thinking of psychology,biology and history ! How do you find history A level, anything I should take in mind ?

It is not difficult as such, but just very, very dense. You can get a hang of the questions etc without too much trouble but you need to be willing to spend hours making flashcards about Operation Mincemeat for example if you study Churchill, and other things that you may never use in an answer but may be crucial in one of them. And there is not end to the further study material, which is a blessing and a curse! I enjoy it generally, though!
Original post by sllyie

With biology (I help my friends study so have a good idea of the content, at this point) you also need to be prepared for GCSE content to have been a very simplified version, and to need to make your revision materials from the very beginning. you need to treat every end of chapter tests like real exams to make sure that you get a good idea of the content as you go along. There is also a fair amount of chemistry type stuff involved, just as a heads up. I enjoy the content though, if that counts for anything given that I don't actually do the lessons!
well i’ve got another week or so of mocks and pretty burnt out :s-smilie:

my plan is to start revision in january, after the christmas break?!

Quick Reply

Latest