The Student Room Group

The Bible and Psychology

Dear Students,

I would be eager to get a discussion going on Donna J. Habenicht's book titled 'The Bible and Psychology'. If interested please follow this link to read the material: http://fae.adventist.org/essays/26Bcc_305-359.htm

I would be happy to participate in a discussion.

First, I would like to know you thoughts about advice I was given regarding clinical psychology, as follows:

“Humans are not qualified to search the heart. That is God’s workspace. It is a waste of time. The “help” is no help.

Ps 44:21 Shall not God search this out? for he knoweth the secrets of the heart.

Ps 139:23 Search me, O God, and know my heart: try me, and know my thoughts:

Jer 17:10 I the LORD search the heart, I try the reins, even to give every man according to his ways, and according to the fruit of his doings.

It is a crime against God and man for some human to say they will search the heart and “help”. It is a lie!!"

Kind regards,
Chad
(edited 5 years ago)
It's an interesting article and probably outlines the seventh day adventist position very well.
The quotes above serve to highlight the omniscience that bible believers attribute to God alone- whilst also reinforcing the fact that human judgement is subject to error, sin and subjectivity.

But attributing truth to God alone and placing all within a religious remit, attempts to monopolize truth and fuse religious scripture with secular life/area s of study.
This is likely to antagonize many and ultimately sets religion on a collision course with science and other secular disciplines- competing for that truth monopoly.
The final biblical quote is very harsh and could be viewed as an aggressive attack against secular professionals seeking to help others.
Original post by Horner94
Dear Students,

I would be eager to get a discussion going on Donna J. Habenicht's book titled 'The Bible and Psychology'. If interested please follow this link to read the material: http://fae.adventist.org/essays/26Bcc_305-359.htm

I would be happy to participate in a discussion.

First, I would like to know you thoughts about advice I was given regarding clinical psychology, as follows:

“Humans are not qualified to search the heart. That is God’s workspace. It is a waste of time. The “help” is no help.

Ps 44:21 Shall not God search this out? for he knoweth the secrets of the heart.

Ps 139:23 Search me, O God, and know my heart: try me, and know my thoughts:

Jer 17:10 I the LORD search the heart, I try the reins, even to give every man according to his ways, and according to the fruit of his doings.

It is a crime against God and man for some human to say they will search the heart and “help”. It is a lie!!"

Kind regards,
Chad

Absolute rubbish.
Reply 3
Original post by Seamus123
Absolute rubbish.

Dear Seamus,

Please can you explain what you mean when you say "absolute rubbish"?

Kind regards,
Chad

Quick Reply

Latest