The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by DrawTheLine
Eh I disagree that it works with Islam too

and why does it not work withislam too
Reply 81
Original post by Linalolo
I mean... Thats not the point though!! I do like how you are comparing my birth to the birth of jesus though. I'll take that.

Oh my bad, what is the point
Of course we can. Christians hijacked it from the Pagans anyway and Jesus was actually born in Spring or Summer so...

I like Christmas because of the tree, lights, decorations, food, get togethers etc.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 83
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
Of course we can. Christians hijacked it from the Pagans anyway. Jesus was born in Spring or Summer anyway so..

I like Christmas because of the tree, lights, decorations, food, get togethers etc.

Youre right jesus was probs born in the spring. Its not about who hijacked it from who its about the concept of it and the concept of Christmas is to commemorate the birth of Christ thats why it is callled CHRISTmas in the first place so if you celebrate somthing you usually acknowledge its meaning
Original post by ybg321
and why does it not work withislam too

For reasons I've already said
Reply 85
For reasons I've already said

could you quote those reasons i didnt see them
Now here's a question sure to get your thinking caps on. :hmmmm:

Christmas is typically associated with Christians and the Christian religion. So why do people who aren't religious celebrate it? :holmes:

What do you think?

I'm an atheist and I celebrate Christmas for the family, food, fun and presents :colondollar:. It's not a religious holiday to me (and I'm sure not to other atheists too).

Tell us what you think! Should atheists celebrate Christmas? :yes::nah:

It's a love hate thing for me. Sometimes I love it because of all the Christmas lights and I live by a city that goes all out with an ice rink and everything, but I always think about how the shops are just getting rich whilst putting pressure on poorer people to spend their money on something that really isn't that important. I enjoy giving presents to my family. :smile:

Christmas for me obviously isn't religious, we have no religious symbols and usually just have an angel (we don't believe in those but they're pretty) or Santa chilling somewhere. It's just a nice time to share presents with family and it brings us altogether as some family live a couple of hours away.
Original post by ybg321
Christians didnt steal no Yule they quite evidently made some some sort of derivitive of it but the meaning that they made of it and the concept of it is to acknowledge the birth of Christ thats why its called CHRISTmas and not yule and it means Christs mass so people coming together to celebrate Christ. They didnt decide he was born on Christmas day - everybody knows he wasnt - they chose a day to remember his birth evidently because they dont know when he was born but still wanted to commemorate his birth somehow

Nope, the Christians stole Yule. Sugarcoat it all you want, but they stole Yule and made it their own celebration, with a focus on Jesus.
Like I said, Yule was originally a celebration of the Winter Solstice and that's what it will always be in my eyes.

I don't know why you're adamant on using the 'CHRISTmas' argument. It's not convincing and doesn't prove anything.
Just because Christians named the celebration Christmas many moons ago, for their celebration of their own beliefs, doesn't give definitive evidence that the entire point of Christmas is to come and celebrate Christ. That's just one demographic's interpretation of the event, which doesn't have to be believed by everyone.

I will celebrate Christmas because of the happiness it brings. I will celebrate Christmas to share gifts, love and spirit. I will celebrate Christmas to spend time with the family. I will do all of this without any thoughts that Christmas is all about Jesus, because quite frankly, the majority of the population don't do this either...
Original post by ybg321
Youre right jesus was probs born in the spring. Its not about who hijacked it from who its about the concept of it and the concept of Christmas is to commemorate the birth of Christ thats why it is callled CHRISTmas in the first place so if you celebrate somthing you usually acknowledge its meaning

It’s an individual’s choice whether they acknowledge a meaning. I don’t choose to see the celebration as religious at all because I’m not a Christian and because Jesus wasn’t born at this time of year anyway.
Original post by ybg321
he was a human sacrifice for a reason making it even more important for christians to commemorate him?

What reason would that be? That his father, in order to forgive man for breaking rules that he made, decided to to have his own son tortured to death?! I dare you to say it out loud - it's stark, raving bonkers.
(edited 5 years ago)
Disabled athletes should most certainly not celebrate. Televised footage would almost certainly disqualify them from benefits. I can't work... what? Just saw you do a double hot dog on the piste.
Reply 91
Original post by Kian Stevens
Nope, the Christians stole Yule. Sugarcoat it all you want, but they stole Yule and made it their own celebration, with a focus on Jesus.
Like I said, Yule was originally a celebration of the Winter Solstice and that's what it will always be in my eyes.

I don't know why you're adamant on using the 'CHRISTmas' argument. It's not convincing and doesn't prove anything.
Just because Christians named the celebration Christmas many moons ago, for their celebration of their own beliefs, doesn't give definitive evidence that the entire point of Christmas is to come and celebrate Christ. That's just one demographic's interpretation of the event, which doesn't have to be believed by everyone.

I will celebrate Christmas because of the happiness it brings. I will celebrate Christmas to share gifts, love and spirit. I will celebrate Christmas to spend time with the family. I will do all of this without any thoughts that Christmas is all about Jesus, because quite frankly, the majority of the population don't do this either...

What i am trying to say is that its not about who stole what from who. I dont dispute that it could have derived from Yule in any way shape or form but its wrong to say that it was stolen because then if thats the case we'd all be celebrating Yule christian or non-christian but we are not are we were celebrating Christmas. There were actually christian celebrations held at the same time as yule so its not like it pre dates it. If we are celebrating CHRISTMAS then we have to look at what CHRISTMAS means and thats why im emphasising it. The fact that Christmas means Christ's mass (people coming together to celebrate christ) then means that it is the entire point of CHRISTMAS and proves the most fundamental thing and not any other kind of celebration and thats why i keep emphasizing it. There could easily be other factors and traditions in Christmas but i just highlight this as the main factor.
Just like you I also celebrate Christmas to share gifts, love and spirit and to spend time with the family

Im not telling you you are forbidden to celebrate Christmas first of all because i havent the right tot tell you what you can and cant do and secondly simply because you DO have the right to do whatever you want to do.

The majority of the populations always sing Christmas carols and do nativity plays and everything else around it and all i am saying is that the core element of all of that is the recognition of Jesus' birth and that is a fact but people are not going to be thrown in jail having not believed meaning they can choose to do what they want
To be fair it is rare to see people celebrating Christmas for what it really is, why single out atheists?
Original post by Zarek
Not really the easy life that Jesus promoted mind. Perhaps it's ok for aethiests, if slightly hypocritical to hijack a Christian event.

Jesus promoted care, compassion, encouragement. We seem to have lost this.
Reply 94
It’s an individual’s choice whether they acknowledge a meaning. I don’t choose to see the celebration as religious at all because I’m not a Christian and because Jesus wasn’t born at this time of year anyway.

Well you kind of acknowledge a meaning when you celebrate something to do with that meaning. I wouldnt want someone just showing up o my birthday party just for the goodies and the atmosphere without even acknowledging my existence or saying happy birthday to me
Original post by ybg321
Well you kind of acknowledge a meaning when you celebrate something to do with that meaning. I wouldnt want someone just showing up o my birthday party just for the goodies and the atmosphere without even acknowledging my existence or saying happy birthday to me

Well no. If no part of my celebration is related to Jesus and Christianity then I am not acknowledging that part of the celebration, by definition. Stop being weird by dictating what people should and shouldn't acknowledge.
Reply 96
Original post by RogerOxon
What reason would that be? That his father, in order to forgive man for breaking rules that he made, decided to to have his own son tortured to death?! I dare you to say it out loud - it's stark, raving bonkers.

whether you choose to believe that is your choice but then for you to celebrate something to do with it and something which was founded upon and celebrated because of that stark raving bonkers fact is stark raving bonkers to me
Reply 97
Well no. If no part of my celebration is related to Jesus and Christianity then I am not acknowledging that part of the celebration, by definition. Stop being weird by dictating what people should and shouldn't acknowledge.

Im not dictating what you shoulnt do because i have no control over you simply what im saying is there is definitely going to be a part of you celebrating Christ in some way because that is the main part of CHRISTmas and if tere was going to be no part of Christ at all that would mean even writing or saying the word Christmas would be an acknowledgement of it because christmas means Christs mass meaning coming together to celebrate Christ
Original post by ybg321
Im not dictating what you shoulnt do because i have no control over you simply what im saying is there is definitely going to be a part of you celebrating Christ in some way because that is the main part of CHRISTmas and if tere was going to be no part of Christ at all that would mean even writing or saying the word Christmas would be an acknowledgement of it because christmas means Christs mass meaning coming together to celebrate Christ

No, it isn't going to be a part of why I'm celebrating Christmas because, I repeat, my celebrations have 0 to do with religion, Jesus and Christianity. The fact that the word Christmas contains the word "Christ" is irrelevant, just as atheists will still say things like "Oh my God!" etc. It's a word, what matters is your actual intentions and beliefs surrounding the celebration and if they don't involve Jesus then you're not acknowledging him, period.
Reply 99
No, it isn't going to be a part of why I'm celebrating Christmas because, I repeat, my celebrations have 0 to do with religion, Jesus and Christianity. The fact that the word Christmas contains the word "Christ" is irrelevant, just as atheists will still say things like "Oh my God!" etc. It's a word, what matters is your actual intentions and beliefs surrounding the celebration and if they don't involve Jesus then you're not acknowledging him, period.

Yes and my point is that it all stems from thecelebration of Jesus whether you jump for joy for Jesus on th 25th is your business but the fact remains - its founding concept is celebrating the birth of Jesus

Latest