The Student Room Group

Australian Student Strikes - a good example?

Should we UK students be inspired by the stand of those in Australia?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Considering you're paying for this, the lecturers get paid regardless it would seem to be utterly self defeating.
I don't follow australian politics closely...

Did the strikes work?

If so - maybe we should follow, clearly they are doing them in effective way that leads to change
If not - then no. obviously we shouldn't just follow an example for the sake of it, if it doesn't actually work.
Strike against what?
Original post by DrMikeHuntHertz
Strike against what?

The strikes were in protest against the Australian government, protest against what students see as a lack of action on climate change and global warming by the government.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by fallen_acorns
I don't follow australian politics closely...

Did the strikes work?

The strikes were on Friday so I guess we will see. The Aussie PM criticized the strikes, but on the Tuesday before the strikes the Senate did approve a motion to support them.
Original post by Musing Dolphin
The strikes were in protest against the Australian government, protest against what students see as a lack of action on climate change and global warming by the government.

So totally pointless then and self-harming...

Despite some children in Australia taking the day off school, I think the world kept turning. :lol:
Original post by jameswhughes
Despite some children in Australia taking the day off school, I think the world kept turning. :lol:

"Some children" - thousands.
Change isn't going to happen unless we do something.
So totally pointless then and self-harming...

Climate change and global warming aren't things to just pass off as nothing.
"Some children" - thousands.
Change isn't going to happen unless we do something.

And what did they achieve?

Nothing!

I bet half these children would happily get on a plane to go on holiday in Indonesia or Thailand, the strike is just an excuse to show off and look like you're doing something.
The strikes were on Friday so I guess we will see. The Aussie PM criticized the strikes, but on the Tuesday before the strikes the Senate did approve a motion to support them.

what are their demands? I read that it was about climate change, but do they have specific things they want?
Original post by SHallowvale
Climate change and global warming aren't things to just pass off as nothing.

Indeed, they are things to be passed off as globalist propaganda for global enslavement.
Indeed, they are things to be passed off as globalist propaganda for global enslavement.

Do you genuinely believe this or are you simply trolling?

Don't want to have an argument about it in this thread but I'd love to discuss this viewpoint if you genuinely believe it via PMs.
I'm not sure what that would really accomplish beyond impediment of their own education. They pay for tuition, so they walk away from that tuition to... protest Climate Change? That thing the government is already trying to tackle and attends global summits on? I don't think a bunch of students walking out of class is really going to change much. Government: "Oh, well we didn't really care about Climate Change, but now a bunch of students walked out of class, so we really need to do something about it and get on it..." Yeah, no.

Like a lot of student protests, this amounts to little more than self-satisfied virtue signalling, even if well-intentioned.
Original post by Dandaman1
I'm not sure what that would really accomplish beyond impediment of their own education. They pay for tuition, so they walk away from that tuition to... protest Climate Change? That thing the government is already trying to tackle and attends global summits on? I don't think a bunch of students walking out of class is really going to change much. Government: "Oh, well we didn't really care about Climate Change, but now a bunch of students walked out of class, so we really need to do something about it and get on it..." Yeah, no.

Like a lot of student protests, this amounts to little more than self-satisfied virtue signalling, even if well-intentioned.

You definitely have a point. However, I think personally it is important student voice is heard, because in the end, we are the ones who will suffer.
Reply 16
Original post by Dandaman1

Well it made the news, gained publicity and now we're here again discussing the issue behind it, so in that sense it is a success.

Obviously protests such as this are never going to solve the issue themselves, but they do play an important role in keeping it on the agenda.
Surely in order to strike you actually need to be doing some work to strike from?

Anyhow, it seems totally self defeating.
Original post by SHallowvale
Do you genuinely believe this or are you simply trolling?

Don't want to have an argument about it in this thread but I'd love to discuss this viewpoint if you genuinely believe it via PMs.

I do believe this.
Reply 19
doing something is better than doing nothing along with the 99% of us that don't do sh*t. maybe the Australian government won't react immediately, but the government isn't the only institution in this scenario. kids sent a message to each other, their parents, their schools and the rest of the country. it might inspire another kid in another country to set up their own protest on the environment or on any subject, who knows.

it's like the March for our Lives rally earlier this year. i don't think gun laws changed, but the current administration isn't the only affected body. it sent a message to all of America and maybe it planted a seed, even a tiny seed of doubt. anyway, no single protest is a game changer. it's always an accumulation of events and one added event is better than zero added events. imho

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending