The Student Room Group

Urgent IRP Advice? (AQA)

Hello! :france:
I'm currently in Year 13, studying Biology, French & Mathematics. With AQA French A Level, we are required to create an Independent Research Project, which will form a large proportion of the speaking exam.

Unfortunately, I have stalled it a bit too long, and am struggling with my topic, however, our mock speaking exam is in 10 days and we are presenting it for the first time during that one!

I originally researched French Theatre in the 17th Century but I have struggled to find info and to come up with enough questions that I can answer, so I've been considering swapping to a different topic.

I'm really into Music and Theatre so I can't really decide which title would be the best to do; I'm torn between 'French Theatre in the 17th Century', 'Edith Piaf and her contribution towards French Music' and 'The Anglicization of French Music and Language'.

I need some urgent advice on which to go with, and it would be reaally useful if any of you know any good articles for either of these topics, or ideas as to some decent questions for them?

Thank you so much! :smile:
Original post by nicolepeto
Hello! :france:
I'm currently in Year 13, studying Biology, French & Mathematics. With AQA French A Level, we are required to create an Independent Research Project, which will form a large proportion of the speaking exam.

Unfortunately, I have stalled it a bit too long, and am struggling with my topic, however, our mock speaking exam is in 10 days and we are presenting it for the first time during that one!

I originally researched French Theatre in the 17th Century but I have struggled to find info and to come up with enough questions that I can answer, so I've been considering swapping to a different topic.

I'm really into Music and Theatre so I can't really decide which title would be the best to do; I'm torn between 'French Theatre in the 17th Century', 'Edith Piaf and her contribution towards French Music' and 'The Anglicization of French Music and Language'.

I need some urgent advice on which to go with, and it would be reaally useful if any of you know any good articles for either of these topics, or ideas as to some decent questions for them?

Thank you so much! :smile:

I think a possible reason why you struggled with your original topic is that it is too wide a scope. If you're still keen on French theatre, I would suggest that you narrow it down to one playwright - Molière is probably the easiest one to talk about. You could discuss:
- his relationship with the royal court
- his humour
- his criticism of French society (not only the church, but also marriage, the treatment of women, hypocrisy, etc.)
- the role of the servant as a "confidant" as a theatrical device

Your other two topics could both work well but if you've not done any research yet at this stage you're leaving it a bit late!

Edith Piaf: "La Môme" ("La Vie en Rose" in its English edition) is a must-see film if you haven't seen it yet. Plenty of stuff about her on the internet if you google "Edith Piaf et son influence sur la musique française".

The anglicisation of French music and language is a good topic as well, I think. Again, if you google "anglicisation de la musique et de la langue française" you'll get lots of interesting stuff. This one seems particularly good for a start: http://www.lefigaro.fr/langue-francaise/expressions-francaises/2017/02/01/37003-20170201ARTFIG00202-il-y-a-une-soumission-du-francais-a-l-anglais.php . You should also look at the scope and impact of the loi Toubon, which is aimed at defending the French language.
Reply 2
Original post by Anna Schoon
I think a possible reason why you struggled with your original topic is that it is too wide a scope. If you're still keen on French theatre, I would suggest that you narrow it down to one playwright - Molière is probably the easiest one to talk about. You could discuss:
- his relationship with the royal court
- his humour
- his criticism of French society (not only the church, but also marriage, the treatment of women, hypocrisy, etc.)
- the role of the servant as a "confidant" as a theatrical device

Your other two topics could both work well but if you've not done any research yet at this stage you're leaving it a bit late!

Edith Piaf: "La Môme" ("La Vie en Rose" in its English edition) is a must-see film if you haven't seen it yet. Plenty of stuff about her on the internet if you google "Edith Piaf et son influence sur la musique française".

The anglicisation of French music and language is a good topic as well, I think. Again, if you google "anglicisation de la musique et de la langue française" you'll get lots of interesting stuff. This one seems particularly good for a start: http://www.lefigaro.fr/langue-francaise/expressions-francaises/2017/02/01/37003-20170201ARTFIG00202-il-y-a-une-soumission-du-francais-a-l-anglais.php . You should also look at the scope and impact of the loi Toubon, which is aimed at defending the French language.

Ahh thank you!
That's so extremely helpful! I've been researching all three a bit over the weekend - It looks like there's a large amount to say about Edith Piaf so I'm sort of leaning towards her. Do you know what sort of questions we should be thinking of answering? I've seen very little in terms of examples of what you could get asked, and so I'm really struggling with coming up with answers!
Original post by nicolepeto
Ahh thank you!
That's so extremely helpful! I've been researching all three a bit over the weekend - It looks like there's a large amount to say about Edith Piaf so I'm sort of leaning towards her. Do you know what sort of questions we should be thinking of answering? I've seen very little in terms of examples of what you could get asked, and so I'm really struggling with coming up with answers!

Questions that come to mind as I sit here at my computer:

- What was her childhood like and how was her talent discovered?
- How did her childhood influence her singing career?
- Who were the greatest influences on her in her songwriting and singing career? Explain why and in what way.
- What was it about her that made her such a success in her own country?
- Ditto for her success abroad.
- La Vie en Rose is still one of the top ten songs covered by other artists. Why might this be?
- If there are any, talk about the modern musicians who claim that she had a profound influence on them.
- Edith Piaf has become an iconic figure of France, like the Eiffel Tower. How do you think this has come about?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending