The Student Room Group

University of Amsterdam 2018/2019 offers

Hi, I'm an IB student and I've got offer from University of Amsterdam on Political Sciences under the condition of 24 points and I think - is the course/uni so uncompetitive or just the university wants me to get in due to my school results? (Btw I got the response from the uni 2 days after I submitted the application) What offers did you get from Amsterdam University and for which courses?
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I got an offer from UVA after 2 days for A level grades CCC for Political Science. This is the minimum offer for all Dutch Research Universities courses, so even degrees for medicine would get a CCC offer after selection tests.

There are threads in 'The Netherlands' section that explain the process.

Congratulations on your offer. Is UVA your first choice?
Original post by juelienn
Hi, I'm an IB student and I've got offer from University of Amsterdam on Political Sciences under the condition of 24 points and I think - is the course/uni so uncompetitive or just the university wants me to get in due to my school results? (Btw I got the response from the uni 2 days after I submitted the application) What offers did you get from Amsterdam University and for which courses?

My son earned an IB Diploma, and is currently studying Political Science at the UvA. There is a first year attrition rate of 70+% for the program.
The Dutch have a different philosophy from say, American Ivy League institutions, which are difficult to get into,but even more difficult to flunk out of....They want to give every qualified candidate a chance...but there are no safe spaces; they won't coddle you. My son is doing well,and loves the program. There is an incredible array of high-level international students, and he claims that living in Amsterdam is a joy. My visits there have corroborated that assessment.
Reply 3
Original post by C.Kadiddlehopper
My son earned an IB Diploma, and is currently studying Political Science at the UvA. There is a first year attrition rate of 70+% for the program.
The Dutch have a different philosophy from say, American Ivy League institutions, which are difficult to get into,but even more difficult to flunk out of....They want to give every qualified candidate a chance...but there are no safe spaces; they won't coddle you. My son is doing well,and loves the program. There is an incredible array of high-level international students, and he claims that living in Amsterdam is a joy. My visits there have corroborated that assessment.

This is a really interesting post. My jaw dropped at 70% attrition rate! It is good to hear that Amsterdam is a great city to live in and your son is loving the course.

I have heard that the course is not particularly hard but just lots of work to keep on top of. Is this how your son has found it?

How did your son get on finding accommodation?
What part of the city is he living in and how much is his rent?

It is good to hear there is a high level of international students (I presume you mean bright and able, high level quality not quantity!)
How many students were on the course in September? (I know Leiden took 750 this summer, so has now capped numbers. )
What was the approx ratio of Dutch/internationals?
Are there many UK students?

What year is your son in?
What has he loved the most about about his time at UvA?
Any regrets?
hi, did you get a scholarship offer?
if so whats the requirement?
Anyone else applied yet? I sent in an application 3 weeks ago for econometrics and still haven't heard back!
I'm quite worried about the housing situation since housing in Amsterdam is so hard to get. Does anyone know if you can apply for housing once you get an offer or is it only after matching has taken place???
Also does anyone know what matching consists of or how difficult it is? All I can find is that it lasts about a week and you take some sort of test at the end...
Hi, I applied 2 weeks ago and the status says 'admission decision'. Any idea how long it takes for them to decide? I'll also be applying to scholarships but not so sure about my chances of getting one.Does the university give out any offers before January? I applied early as I'm an international student and have a lot to take care of.
Reply 7
I got an offer after 2 days but this was for Political Science.

I registered with room.nl in August when I decided that I wanted to study in the Netherlands (Leiden is my first choice). It costs 35 Euro to register and housing is offered on the length you have been registered for.

This accommodation is cheaper than the rooms the university reserves for International students. However, International university accommodation is furnished, offered for a limited time, is extremely hard to get and very expensive. The accommodation offered by room.nl and most private landlords is unfurnished. You do not even get a bed! Lots of students sell their furniture on and there is Ikea in all big towns.
Original post by Breward
I got an offer after 2 days but this was for Political Science.

I registered with room.nl in August when I decided that I wanted to study in the Netherlands (Leiden is my first choice). It costs 35 Euro to register and housing is offered on the length you have been registered for.

This accommodation is cheaper than the rooms the university reserves for International students. However, International university accommodation is furnished, offered for a limited time, is extremely hard to get and very expensive. The accommodation offered by room.nl and most private landlords is unfurnished. You do not even get a bed! Lots of students sell their furniture on and there is Ikea in all big towns.

Did you apply for masters or bachelors? I feel like the bachelors offers are quicker than masters.
Reply 9
Bachelors.
Reply 10
Original post by irish3202
Anyone else applied yet? I sent in an application 3 weeks ago for econometrics and still haven't heard back!
I'm quite worried about the housing situation since housing in Amsterdam is so hard to get. Does anyone know if you can apply for housing once you get an offer or is it only after matching has taken place???
Also does anyone know what matching consists of or how difficult it is? All I can find is that it lasts about a week and you take some sort of test at the end...

Hey! I applied for econ and business econ in early october and still haven’t received an acceptance letter. Have you gotten one yet?

Don’t worry about uva matching, its just to see if you like the course you chose.

And I’m also worried about the housing situation...
Original post by mkmadi
Hey! I applied for econ and business econ in early october and still haven’t received an acceptance letter. Have you gotten one yet?

Don’t worry about uva matching, its just to see if you like the course you chose.

And I’m also worried about the housing situation...

hi! I haven't heard anything back and I applied early november :frown: according to embark my application hasn't even been looked at yet! i was hoping to hear back before Christmas but I guess I will have to wait until the new year :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by irish3202
hi! I haven't heard anything back and I applied early november :frown: according to embark my application hasn't even been looked at yet! i was hoping to hear back before Christmas but I guess I will have to wait until the new year :smile:

My application status on Embark is just “submitted” but a few days ago I sent them a message asking about when I should expect the decision, and they replied that my application has been evaluated and that they will notify me with the decision as soon as possible. Your application might also be evaluated already. But yeah they will probably tell us after Christmas :smile:
Reply 13
Hi! I have been accepted to Econometrics&Operations Research Bachelor program today! I sent my application about 3 weeks ago and passed the mathematics exam a week ago. Who else has been admitted? Are you going to apply for the housing offered by university? Is it your first-choice?
I’m an Irish student and have just accepted my Political Science offer in UvA for 2019 , I have also applied for IRO in Leiden but have heard it’s hard to get into this year. I must say UVA is looking like an amazing place to study in. Any other Irish or international students hoping to study political science in 2019?
Original post by international3
I’m an Irish student and have just accepted my Political Science offer in UvA for 2019 , I have also applied for IRO in Leiden but have heard it’s hard to get into this year. I must say UVA is looking like an amazing place to study in. Any other Irish or international students hoping to study political science in 2019?

hey! I’m an Irish student and i also recently got accepted to uva :smile: I applied to econometrics though but IRO sounds really interesting too!
Original post by Breward
This is a really interesting post. My jaw dropped at 70% attrition rate! It is good to hear that Amsterdam is a great city to live in and your son is loving the course.

I have heard that the course is not particularly hard but just lots of work to keep on top of. Is this how your son has found it?

How did your son get on finding accommodation?
What part of the city is he living in and how much is his rent?

It is good to hear there is a high level of international students (I presume you mean bright and able, high level quality not quantity!)
How many students were on the course in September? (I know Leiden took 750 this summer, so has now capped numbers. )
What was the approx ratio of Dutch/internationals?
Are there many UK students?

What year is your son in?
What has he loved the most about about his time at UvA?
Any regrets?

Sorry, I just saw this (need to check out this site a bit more often-:smile: Yes, the lofty attrition rate is quite real. My son- a first year student- hopes that the university would eventually make the degree path numerus fixus, as Leiden just did with their IRO program. The initial year is very intense with hundreds of pages of reading for every course. My son has an International Baccalaureate, but says this program is a marked step up in intensity. His friends in the program come from Italy, Portugal, Pakistan,Norway,Uruguay, England, New England, Czech Republic, and The Netherlands,of course. It is a great international learning experience. He considered Leiden, but his primary interest is in public policy and governance as opposed to international relations. The UvA offers 4 concentrations in political science (public policy/governance, International relations,political theory, and comparative politics) as opposed to Leiden's sole emphasis on international relations. The first year program at the UvA delves into all four areas, though he reports that most of the students he knows plan on an international relations focus (apparently that is in vogue these days.) I cannot give you exact numbers on enrollment and the Dutch/international student ratio...but I believe you can find that on the website, which was recently redesigned. Amsterdam is not inexpensive, unless compared to the likes of London,New York, or San Francisco. The housing office at the UvA has recently been under some controversy for allegedly housing students in unsafe areas. One student in university approved housing had a bullet fly through her 8th floor window,for example, in a publicized case. I went proactive, and got my son excellent (albeit expensive) accommodations at The Student Hotel, Amsterdam City,which is in the eastern part of the city in the knowledge corridor of the Plantage district, I think they call it. Anyway, less that a 10 minute bike ride from campus or a quick Metro ride. The housing office has a deal with the other TSH on the west side of the city...but it is far from campus and adjacent to one of the "no-go zones" that aren't suppose to exist, but do (just ask that girl on the 8th floor.) Some of my son's friends pay as little as 400-500 Euros per month for more than decent housing in nice areas,but they are quite a way from the campus,and in some cases outside the city proper. TSH only allows residents a one year stay, so he has already begun scouting out housing for next year. That is a much easier and less intimidating task once you are living in the city,and have become conversant with its neighborhoods and transportation options. He loves the experience of living and studying in a great city like Amsterdam. He says there is always a buzz in the air. We visited Leiden, Groningen,Maastricht, and Utrecht, and all of them had much to offer,but Amsterdam casts a spell,and my son fell under it. I am visiting Amsterdam this spring, so I will be able to get a further report from the source, but as of this time,he is completely satisfied with the UvA experience, and voices no regrets. Good luck with your search for the right university...
Hi, i am wondering if you know how leninet the university of amsterdam is with its admissions process? I got an offer to study Media and Culture with grades CCC to obtain. However, after doing my exam i am not feeling very confident with one of my grades. So, what would you say my chances are of being admitted if i missed requirement by one grade? (e.g ABD/AAD)
Original post by C.Kadiddlehopper
Sorry, I just saw this (need to check out this site a bit more often-:smile: Yes, the lofty attrition rate is quite real. My son- a first year student- hopes that the university would eventually make the degree path numerus fixus, as Leiden just did with their IRO program. The initial year is very intense with hundreds of pages of reading for every course. My son has an International Baccalaureate, but says this program is a marked step up in intensity. His friends in the program come from Italy, Portugal, Pakistan,Norway,Uruguay, England, New England, Czech Republic, and The Netherlands,of course. It is a great international learning experience. He considered Leiden, but his primary interest is in public policy and governance as opposed to international relations. The UvA offers 4 concentrations in political science (public policy/governance, International relations,political theory, and comparative politics) as opposed to Leiden's sole emphasis on international relations. The first year program at the UvA delves into all four areas, though he reports that most of the students he knows plan on an international relations focus (apparently that is in vogue these days.) I cannot give you exact numbers on enrollment and the Dutch/international student ratio...but I believe you can find that on the website, which was recently redesigned. Amsterdam is not inexpensive, unless compared to the likes of London,New York, or San Francisco. The housing office at the UvA has recently been under some controversy for allegedly housing students in unsafe areas. One student in university approved housing had a bullet fly through her 8th floor window,for example, in a publicized case. I went proactive, and got my son excellent (albeit expensive) accommodations at The Student Hotel, Amsterdam City,which is in the eastern part of the city in the knowledge corridor of the Plantage district, I think they call it. Anyway, less that a 10 minute bike ride from campus or a quick Metro ride. The housing office has a deal with the other TSH on the west side of the city...but it is far from campus and adjacent to one of the "no-go zones" that aren't suppose to exist, but do (just ask that girl on the 8th floor.) Some of my son's friends pay as little as 400-500 Euros per month for more than decent housing in nice areas,but they are quite a way from the campus,and in some cases outside the city proper. TSH only allows residents a one year stay, so he has already begun scouting out housing for next year. That is a much easier and less intimidating task once you are living in the city,and have become conversant with its neighborhoods and transportation options. He loves the experience of living and studying in a great city like Amsterdam. He says there is always a buzz in the air. We visited Leiden, Groningen,Maastricht, and Utrecht, and all of them had much to offer,but Amsterdam casts a spell,and my son fell under it. I am visiting Amsterdam this spring, so I will be able to get a further report from the source, but as of this time,he is completely satisfied with the UvA experience, and voices no regrets. Good luck with your search for the right university...
I cannot speak for the UvA, of course, but if you do miss by a grade why not take the bull by the horns and call the listed academic contact for your program? Many programs require
Report 1 minute ago

I cannot speak for the UvA, of course, but if you do miss by a grade why not take the bull by the horns and call the listed academic contact for your program? Many programs at the UvA require "matching" assignments, due post-acceptance. The idea is to see if the program is right for you (and vice-versa-:smile: If you do not get the required grade for that course, ask them to complete the matching assignments. Hopefully, a good performance there will get you across the finish line. Worst case: offer to retake the course in question over the summer. Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest