The Student Room Group

Work Experience for Year 10 Advice

My teachers are now reminding us that we have to find placements for work experience in Summer 2019 but we must starting searching now as finding placements is extremely difficult.
After going out and doing research on the internet, I can now understand that finding a placement is incredibly difficult.
Most of all, when I search for Year 10 work experience, it almost always comes up with real paying jobs that won't take in myself being an unsuitable age.

Does anyone have any tips for finding work experience? 🙂
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 1
Be persistent and don’t feel disheartened if a place doesn’t accept you, just apply somewhere else
If anything you can do more work experience in holidays or in Y11,12 etc
(edited 5 years ago)
Usually, your school should help you in finding a work experience. It can literally be anything. I remember doing it last year in Year 10- i absolutely hated where my placement was but at least I developed some skills that are vital in the working world. Try asking in a local Library; they nearly always accept kids looking for work experience. Good Luck!! :smile:
Where do you want to work at. I’m doing work experience tomorrow so I may be able to help!
Reply 4
Original post by AestheticEnergy
Usually, your school should help you in finding a work experience. It can literally be anything. I remember doing it last year in Year 10- i absolutely hated where my placement was but at least I developed some skills that are vital in the working world. Try asking in a local Library; they nearly always accept kids looking for work experience. Good Luck!! :smile:

Our school is leaving us to it unfortunately 😅! And I will try and check out my library nearby to see if they'll accept me! Thanks for the great advice and helpful information! 😊
Reply 5
Original post by Jaimeleex
Where do you want to work at. I’m doing work experience tomorrow so I may be able to help!

I'd love to work in my preferred career areas of Science, Computer Science and IT or Law and Politics but finding work experience for those areas makes it look like it's very barren 😔
What work experience are you doing? If you don't mind me asking of course 😅
Reply 6
Original post by KVJ
Be persistent and don’t feel disheartened if a place doesn’t accept you, just apply somewhere else
If anything you can do more work experience in holidays or in Y11,12 etc

Thank you for the advice! 👍 Also, we have to apply for work experience for the summer next year. They really aren't budging with that 😅
Original post by Laurawolf3
I'd love to work in my preferred career areas of Science, Computer Science and IT or Law and Politics but finding work experience for those areas makes it look like it's very barren 😔
What work experience are you doing? If you don't mind me asking of course 😅

Ah I understand now why it’s harder for you to look, I’m working at a primary school lovely x
Reply 8
Original post by Jaimeleex
Ah I understand now why it’s harder for you to look, I’m working at a primary school lovely x

Hope all goes well for you during work experience! 👍
Reply 9
Thank you for the advice! 👍 Also, we have to apply for work experience for the summer next year. They really aren't budging with that 😅

No problem!
And yeah my school did too. So don’t worry if you have to do a random last minute one that you didnt plan on doing is what i meant :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by KVJ
No problem!
And yeah my school did too. So don’t worry if you have to do a random last minute one that you didnt plan on doing is what i meant :smile:

Okay! I'll keep that in mind for my last resort 😁
Reply 11
Okay! I'll keep that in mind for my last resort 😁

Great! Hope it doesn’t come to that though. Good luck!
My teachers are now reminding us that we have to find placements for work experience in Summer 2019 but we must starting searching now as finding placements is extremely difficult.
After going out and doing research on the internet, I can now understand that finding a placement is incredibly difficult.
Most of all, when I search for Year 10 work experience, it almost always comes up with real paying jobs that won't take in myself being an unsuitable age.

Does anyone have any tips for finding work experience? 🙂

Hiya, I completed my work experience just before the summer holidays. Your school is right you must start looking now as places fill up very quickly and I had a similar issue as you and couldn’t find anywhere for ages. What I would recommend most is talking to family, do you have a parent or uncle etc that has a job you would be interested in doing? Also go into your local town or shops in villages and ask them, annoyingly most big chains wont hire people under 16 even for work experience so ask more smaller businesses. Keep searching and communication between you and possible employers is key. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest