The Student Room Group

Can a pharmacist write a sick note?

I got to college 3 days a week, and basically over the course of last week I broke out in hives. My forehead, chest and other parts of my face have become completely inflamed, they're so itchy and they're swollen and red. I know its not just eczema because it doesn't look like it. I tried to book a GP appointment this morning but they said they were fully booked and had no slots.
At college, we have self-certificate absence slips which require no evidence when submitted, and ones which require evidence such as jury duty or illness of a child etc.
Anyways, we have limited self-certificate hours, and I assumed that because I have painful hives all over me, I could put it down as a medical absence, which would require a note from a GP. Because I can't get a GP note for today, should I go to a pharmacist and ask them to write me a sick note?
Go to the GP and just get an appoitment on the day.
There tends to be one GP who isn't attending to scheduled appointments, but to ones which require immediate medical care.
Reply 2
Original post by AzureCeleste
Go to the GP and just get an appoitment on the day.
There tends to be one GP who isn't attending to scheduled appointments, but to ones which require immediate medical care.

But when I tried to book an appointment this morning they said they were fully booked, surely that means that they can't see anyone without an appointment?
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
But when I tried to book an appointment this morning they said they were fully booked, surely that means that they can't see anyone without an appointment?

And why can't you self-certify?

The GP will see you if it's urgent (it doesn't sound like it really is though...). See a pharmacist for something to treat the symptoms.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just ask if you can see a GP.
My mum needed a prescription so she want to the GP, had to wait for about an hour but then was seen.

Your surgery should be able to offer you an appointment to see a GP or another healthcare professional quickly if you need it.- direct from the NHS
I got to college 3 days a week, and basically over the course of last week I broke out in hives. My forehead, chest and other parts of my face have become completely inflamed, they're so itchy and they're swollen and red. I know its not just eczema because it doesn't look like it. I tried to book a GP appointment this morning but they said they were fully booked and had no slots.
At college, we have self-certificate absence slips which require no evidence when submitted, and ones which require evidence such as jury duty or illness of a child etc.
Anyways, we have limited self-certificate hours, and I assumed that because I have painful hives all over me, I could put it down as a medical absence, which would require a note from a GP. Because I can't get a GP note for today, should I go to a pharmacist and ask them to write me a sick note?

Spoiler

In anycase, I would recommend having some hayfever tablets (antihistamines) to try and reduce hives as it can be due to a whole variety of factors (changes in diet, shampoo / soap/ medication / detergent / fabric softener / eating or drinking something you dont usually have / new animals / new fabrics or jewellery / changes in temperature /stress). .

With antihistamines, they can take some time to act and personally Id recommend seeing a doctor (chances are they'll prescribe or tell you to use antihistamine tablets, a moisturiser / possibly a steroid cream but the latter I would advice against unless the former 2 have absolutely no effect).

When I say moisturiser, I dont mean the cosmetic stuff, I mean stuff like epaderm, cetroban, "zero" products, aveeno, double / diprobase. whilst all of these reduce itching to an extent, it is all trial and error regarding efficacy thus you have to try different ones to determine which one works (also all are quite expensive - more than a prescription charge), so you essentially have to deal with your local doctor's surgery / ccg's guidelines (ie they tend to prescribe the one which cost them the least but there si no guarantee that will be the most effective for you)
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Doonesbury
And why can't you self-certify?

The GP will see you if it's urgent (it doesn't sound like it really is though...). See a pharmacist for something to treat the symptoms.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Today I'm missing six hours of class (three classes, two hours each) and I only have five self-certificate hours left due to a work training thing I had to do last month which took 13 hours off my self-certificate
Nah, Pharmacy peeps can't fill in sickness certs.

You generally CAN get seen the same by GP offices.....but it's a struggle and you need to get past the evil medical receptionists who's job is to stop you talking to doctors. Sick notes are pretty simple, takes 30 seconds to scribble out and they can do it any time of day and leave it for you to collect generally. (EDIT - this applies if they already know whats wrong with you, if you've never seen the GP about this issue before they'll still need to examine you, not all though, some will just issue it if you ask, party out of protest at the whole certifications system wasting everyone's time)

(For mine you basically need to phone them at 8am and say its urgent, they try and tie you up and ask if it's an 'emergency' so they can pompously tell you to call 999, you need to stick to your guns that it's urgent)

Is your college really going to give you much crap if you hand in the note a day or two late? see if yr visibly covered in swollen hives I don't see them arguing with you. (btw, if you've broke out in something that widespread unexpectedly and it's not going away, that IS the sort of thing you should get urgently seen for the same day, esp if it's bad enough it's stopping you work normally)
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by StriderHort
Nah, Pharmacy peeps can't fill in self certs.

You generally CAN get seen the same by GP offices.....but it's a struggle and you need to get past the evil medical receptionists who's job is to stop you talking to doctors. Sick notes are pretty simple, takes 30 seconds to scribble out and they can do it any time of day and leave it for you to collect generally.

(For mine you basically need to phone them at 8am and say its urgent, they try and tie you up and ask if it's an 'emergency' so they can pompusly tell you to call 999)

Is your college really going to give you much crap if you hand in the note a day or too late? see if yr visibly covered in swollen hives I don't see them arguing with you. (btw, if you've broke out in something that widespread unexpectedly and it's not going away, that IS the sort of thing you should get urgently seen for the same day, esp if it's bad enough it's stopping you work normally)

It's more that they my college are saying they need a note to say that I needed medical attention on the day I was off. I know that what's happening is not infectious or whatever, because it's just my face and chest swelling up and getting itchy due to most likely stress. I wouldn't go to the GP for this normally, but it's because I need the sick note. The guidelines for absences are unclear as to what to do if its an illness of less than seven days but with evidence.

'UNAUTHORISED ABSENCES:
The following absences will not be covered by approved absence (approved absence is granted for particular reasons see below), but can be covered by a self-certificate. These include:
Absence
Community service
Weddings, christenings, etc.
Non-emergency GP/Dentist appointments
Illness that is less than 7 days without medical evidence
Holidays
Work-related activities (training etc.)'

'Types of Absence MEDICAL (72 hours granted per academic year).
Absence Notification Supporting Documentation
Hospital/clinic/orthodontist appointments In Advance Hospital letter/appointment card
Emergency GP/Dentist appointments As soon as possible on return to College Please provide confirmation that this was an emergency appointment card confirming emergency appointment
Medical illness of more than 7 days Immediately once received Medical certificate/GP letter
Illness of children serious illness/injury Immediately once received Please provide, where possible, a letter from the child’s GP/Hospital that the child was ill/injured
Bereavement if longer than 7 days Immediately once received Medical certificate/GP letter'

My GP is the same, I kept calling at bang on 8am, and by the time I got through (About 10 minutes past) they said all the slots were full and they couldn't see me. I know that what I have isn't an emergency, I really just need a note but I don't think a GP would give me a note without seeing me.
It's more that they my college are saying they need a note to say that I needed medical attention on the day I was off. I know that what's happening is not infectious or whatever, because it's just my face and chest swelling up and getting itchy due to most likely stress. I wouldn't go to the GP for this normally, but it's because I need the sick note. The guidelines for absences are unclear as to what to do if its an illness of less than seven days but with evidence.

My GP is the same, I kept calling at bang on 8am, and by the time I got through (About 10 minutes past) they said all the slots were full and they couldn't see me. I know that what I have isn't an emergency, I really just need a note but I don't think a GP would give me a note without seeing me.

If this is the case I wouldn't worry too much, it says they need the note 'As soon as possible' not at once, And you DID need medical attention on that day, you just didn't get it. get one ASAP and even though it doesn't give the appt as the exact day, you'll be able to ask the GP to include that day in it. You're college/tutor would need to be massively petty to object. If asked, tell the truth, you made efforts to see a GP that day but possibly due to misunderstanding you were kinda fobbed off and had to try again, you're certainly not the 1st person to have a hassle promptly supplying a sickline.

(This still sounds pretty bad for 'stress' btw, like i get the odd itchy heat spot through stress but anything breaking out that inflamed over my whole face and chest would have me worried and GPing, fairs fair you can't really tell the college it's bad enough for you not to come in but not bad enough to get diagnosed/looked at, lots of nasty things can happen with skin, and I say that as someone that's had friggin ringworm)
Reply 10
Today I'm missing six hours of class (three classes, two hours each) and I only have five self-certificate hours left due to a work training thing I had to do last month which took 13 hours off my self-certificate

Contact your college and ask - seems a waste of GP resources to have to get a signed note. Have you been to the pharmacy yet?
Original post by Doonesbury
Contact your college and ask - seems a waste of GP resources to have to get a signed note. Have you been to the pharmacy yet?

in fairness, GP surgeries to charge money for sick notes. but agreed, they should follow my advice regarding going to a pharmacy ang getting antihistamines / a suitable moisturiser which deals with urticaria.

follow my advice in my 1st post on this thread (I have dealt with plenty of uriticaria sufferers before and heck, have experienced it myself). In terms of antihistamines, they are generally tablets but you can get a cream called antihisan (personally I would use both from a cost perspective) but be aware that all antihistamines can cause drowsiness (whilst some, such as loratadine and certiirizine are labelled as 'non-drowsy', they can cause drowsiness in 0.01%-0.1% of people). Moisturisers can help with itching (ie good stuff, not cosmetic stuff like vaseline or este lauder etc) but be aware that they tend to work best on damp skin (main reason for recommending is because hives can cause dry skin / flaked skin from constant scratching).
(edited 5 years ago)

Visit a pharmacy for treatment and call your college to check what evidence you need. Honestly I would expect a photo of your hive covered face would be enough or that you can self certify. GPs charge for sick notes too so it's good for you if you can avoid that.

This might be something worth checking in with a doctor over later (as a routine appt) just cos you might want to look into allergies etc. But wait until you've seen a pharmacist before booking any sort of urgent appt cos you should be good with some OTC stuff or the pharmacist can tell you if it's more doctor worthy.
There is also the option of a walk-in centre. Pretty similar to an urgent GP appt except you need to wait around to be seen instead of booking. They should be able to write a note saying you were seen.

Allergies, rashes and the like can be difficult to gauge in terms of if you need to be seen so do check in with a pharmacist at least (apart from anything else they can give you antihistamines), but as long as you are feeling generally well (minus itching) I wouldn't rush to the drs.
(edited 5 years ago)
Not sure why people are saying GPs charge for sick notes? They don't.

Original post by Tiger Rag

I was wondering about that as well, I thought it might be a Scotland/England thing? I've never had to pay for one.
Reply 17

Original post by StriderHort
I was wondering about that as well, I thought it might be a Scotland/England thing? I've never had to pay for one.

I think it depends on the circumstances - in this case the GP may well charge.

https://www.gov.uk/taking-sick-leave
https://www.nhs.uk/common-health-questions/caring-carers-and-long-term-conditions/when-do-i-need-a-fit-note/

depends on different CCGs and practice policies tbh. I know in my local CCg and a nearby one they do, but my neighbouring CCG GP practices don't for some reason.

Quick Reply

Latest